shooting off bubble.(?)

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just under a year in so go easy on the neewb. When I shoot I seem to notice that if I put my pin(20 and 30 is all I've done so far) next to where I'm aiming instead of on it, I shoot with more consistency. I would say My form and anchor is fairly consistent. I assume it is not a good habit to get into. Can someone explain it or ask a question so I may be able to explain my question more. If I draw back and have my bubble about splitting the line, put my pin next to the intended target, my results are tighter. thanks all

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have a form of target panic. You may want to shoot at close range, like five yards, and work on holding your pin on a specific spot.

Btaylor

WKR
I would not automatically call it target panic. I have always set my bowsights up that way if I am understanding the OP correctly. My sight picture as a right handed shooter is to put the left edge of the pin against the spot I intend to hit so my point of aim is always in view. Same principle as a post front sight on a firearm except horizontal...put the lolipop on the stick.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose you could set a sight up that way. The down side is if your practicing and shooting a targets with a spot on them, you would always be shooting on the edge of the spot and isn’t as precise as shooting for the center. You would always be on the edge of the spot whether you were shooting at a 2” one or 4” one.

One of the most common forms of target panic is freezing at the bottom of the spot and not being able to hold in the middle. The original post seemed to sound the same, but holding off to the side verse bottom. Whatever the root cause is, it is not optimal for accuracy.

OP
Sniff

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I fee that Btaylor saying "my point of aim is always in view" is correct with how I feel when doing this. I also totally understand that it could be less ideal for accuracy. I'm not bad at getting arrows to group when holding level. That is how I started and have been shooting. I've done this at the indoor range and notice that the holding off is getting tighter groups. Could it be my sight? Am I flinching at release? Both of these are questions when I'm holding at level.

Btaylor

WKR
Dont disagree with your comments re: target panic as that is probably the most common form. I fully understand where you are coming from with regards to sight picture, I just disagree with your conclusion about accuracy. I do not hold "off" target, I hold against the edge. Doesnt matter if the target is a 2" or 8" circle, the outer edge of the pin is held up against the center and my accuracy comes down to how consistently I repeat both the sight picture and the shot execution. I guess it stems from the hunting maxim of always pick a spot, just never wanted to pick a spot and then cover it up with a pin.:cool:

OP
Sniff

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
holding off is not correct. if there is a (+) I am just a smidge right of the crosshair. Maybe I;m talking circles and just need to shoot more. I just want to learn and do it with good form. thanks for info and input.

Btaylor

WKR
holding off is not correct. if there is a (+) I am just a smidge right of the crosshair. Maybe I;m talking circles and just need to shoot more. I just want to learn and do it with good form. thanks for info and input.

Dont take my comments re: how I shoot as being the way to properly shoot in the truest sense of the word. I mainly posted my first comment because I have seen people start second guessing everything because someone told them they have target panic. Might as well tell some folks they have archery cancer as the reaction is similar. You are spot on wanting learn proper form. Long term accuracy with your bow is built on that foundation. Others may disagree but unless you have a really qualified person nearby to help get you on solid footing, I would encourage you to watch guys like John Dudley on you tube. Getting buddies to "help" because they have been shooting a bow for a while doesnt always yield the best results. If your toilet backs up do you call the electrician?

Gumbo

WKR
Better to start off right and develop good habits rather than having to break bad habits later. Sounds like a bad road to go down to me, and I agree it is ultimately anxiety/target panic that is leaking into your shooting. Aim at a BIG bullseye that is MUCH larger than your pin and work progressively to smaller spots.