Broadhead for Grizzly

TBarron

WKR
Would you have any hesitation about using a COC hybrid head like a 125g Grave Digger for Grizzly? I tried out some Strickland Helix and 2 blade VPAs and couldn’t get either of these to tune out of my bow. I’ve used Grave Diggers over the past 2 years with great results so I went back to what I’m comfortable with and I’m shooting 6-8” groups out to 100yds. Never killed anything with them bigger than a muley or pig though. I’m 2 weeks out from my hunt. Would you stick with what you know or keeping experimenting with other fixed broadheads?

My set up is a Hoyt RX-1 79lbs 30in draw 550g 280 fmj injexion 280

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would shoot a iron will. They fly past 100 with field tips and you can’t make a sharper head. Plus no worries of them not opening.

Will a hybrid Work? Probably! But I always worry about over the top mechanicals and hairy animals.

SKYNET KC

FNG
Would you have any hesitation about using a COC hybrid head like a 125g Grave Digger for Grizzly? I tried out some Strickland Helix and 2 blade VPAs and couldn’t get either of these to tune out of my bow. I’ve used Grave Diggers over the past 2 years with great results so I went back to what I’m comfortable with and I’m shooting 6-8” groups out to 100yds. Never killed anything with them bigger than a muley or pig though. I’m 2 weeks out from my hunt. Would you stick with what you know or keeping experimenting with other fixed broadheads?

My set up is a Hoyt RX-1 79lbs 30in draw 550g 280 fmj injexion 280

Personally I'd never hunt any type of dangerous game with any type of mechanical or hybrid, but that's just me.

Double check with your guide to see if they're even allowed.

docmay

FNG
I would go with something like an iron will or silver flame. If those two don’t fly then your tuning is off and penetration will suffer. I shot mine with a 125 grain solid and never found the arrow.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Thanks guys just put in an order for 6 iron wills.

Moneyball

WKR
Did IW say they could get the heads to you before your hunt? They are awesome heads. Hope you get them in time

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Did IW say they could get the heads to you before your hunt? They are awesome heads. Hope you get them in time

Yep they guaranteed them by the 20th and I leave the 22nd. So that gives me a day to do some field testing as well.

Moneyball

WKR
Yep they guaranteed them by the 20th and I leave the 22nd. So that gives me a day to do some field testing as well.

That’s great! I have shot mine out to 100 and they fly really well. I have yet to put one through an animal but I am extremely confident it won’t be an issue. Best of luck to you!!

I shot a grizzly at 13 yds broadside with a 65# 29” draw Mathews Drenalin with a 385 gr Goldtip arrow and an Ulmer Edge broadhead. Per all the internet BS it should have bounced off... it went thru and killed the P&Y bear.

If your Iron Wills don’t fly perfectly, go back to what shoots good. Accurate shot placement trumps everything else. My buddies shot grizzlies here in BC with 3-blade NAP Spitfires for years. Worked great. They got me shooting them now and I shot a very large polar bear with them last February. He was down in a few seconds....475 gr arrow out of a 65# Prime Rival, 29.5” draw.

Good luck on the grizzly hunt! Heading to Alaska or to the Yukon?

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
I shot a grizzly at 13 yds broadside with a 65# 29” draw Mathews Drenalin with a 385 gr Goldtip arrow and an Ulmer Edge broadhead. Per all the internet BS it should have bounced off... it went thru and killed the P&Y bear.

If your Iron Wills don’t fly perfectly, go back to what shoots good. Accurate shot placement trumps everything else. My buddies shot grizzlies here in BC with 3-blade NAP Spitfires for years. Worked great. They got me shooting them now and I shot a very large polar bear with them last February. He was down in a few seconds....475 gr arrow out of a 65# Prime Rival, 29.5” draw.

Thanks man. I’ve got a lot of confidence with the diggers. Broke a shoulder on a black tail on Kodiak last year and it came out the front of his chest at 89yds, so I think they’re a pretty tough BH. Got full pass through on a muley and and half dozen pigs as well last year. Hopefully the iron wills get here on time and I have time to tinker. If not I’m rolling with the diggers.

SKYNET KC

FNG

I want to respond to "per the internet BS" statement.

Myself, and all the other people that are advocates for heavier arrows with high FOC and a "high dollar" fixed blade never say that lighter arrows won't work. Obviously they work, people have been shooting light arrows and killing animals for a really long time.

But you simply cannot deny that the chances for success go up when you add weight and better/ more durable components. If you shoot a 385 grain arrow 100 times, or a 650 grain arrow 100 times, which one do you think will have a higher percentage success rate on getting lethal penetration? If you're honest with yourself you know the answer.

Skynet KC, I don't subscribe to Ashby's theories, nor do I feel any need to shoot super heavy arrows with a very high FOC and single bevel 2-blade heads for NA big game. I'm a graduate engineer, 48 year bowhunter, did my own penetration testing 30 some years ago, avidly hunt all our NA species (arrowed all but three successfully to-date). Accurate shot placement with a quality, sharp broadhead perfectly aligned with the shaft and adequately stabilized arrow is the most important thing in my estimation. I've shot elk with 2, 3, 4 and 6 blade heads. I've used fixed, replaceable and expandable heads, on completed arrows ranging from 375 grains to over 600 grains. With 70# compounds in the 1970's through 2005, and 60-65# compounds more recently, I have not suffered from lack of penetration. YMMV so use what you see is optimum. Confidence in your gear is everything.....which was what I was attempting to impart to the original poster....since I had successfully arrowed a grizzly with equipment that was inferior to his performance wise. Hopefully he took good flying arrows north and returns with a big grizzly bear with a broadhead hole or two in the hide.