G5 small game head....good stuff!

TauPhi111

WKR
Just wanted to throw out there that if you are looking for a good small game head, I was highly impressed with the G5 small game head today. I have probably shot more squirrels with my bow than with shotguns and 22s combined, and I've shot them with all manner of small game points: judo points, blunt tips, field tips, adder points, and rages with the blades removed, and this has been by far the most impressive. Shot this squirrel right in the neck and it was an instant lights out. The hole through the neck was huge, as the effective area of this head is actually pretty big. Neck vertebrae were crushed beyond recognition. I'll definitely be carrying them into the deer stand with me and out west next year.

And with this first kill of the year, hunting season has started

squirrel done.jpg

G5 SGH.jpg

ssliger

WKR
Agreed, started using this head this year also. Three shots fired, three grouse down.
e538847b3fe2df30245615e532b97850.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
Slick Trick Rip Trick has been a great thing to carry in my quiver, anything from grouse to squirrels have been a blast to shoot.

MTSabo

WKR
+1 for the g5 small game head. I had first 3 squirrels get away after seemingly perfect shots with blunt tips this year. Switched to a g5 and the next one was done within 10 sec. with some impressive damage to its neck front shoulder area.

cjparry2

FNG
Hi All, I just listened to Remi Warren's latest podcast about small game hunting with a bow. It got me excited to get out there and do some squirrel and rabbit hunting. I will definitely will pick up some of the G5 Small Game heads. How accurate are those heads? I would think the accuracy of the arrow would be disrupted by claws. Remi suggest blunt tips. The Easton V3 Small Game expandable point looks interesting too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I'll echo the G5 prongs breaking off. I've had great luck with the VPA small game heads, but they look almost identical to the heads in the link that Rob provided and are significantly more expensive.

cjparry2

FNG
Rob5589 and OctoberGold, I ordered some of the VPA thumpers and some of the Maifield small game hammers. Thanks for your help. I look forward to gettign out there and getting a few shots off :)

Beendare, I will deffinately give the fieldpoint with a washer behind it a try as well. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I've used the big fender washers...but even the small washers I'm using now just pounds those birds and small critters...knocks them down for the count.

put an FP in your pocket so the next time you are at Home Depot you can get a custom fit 16 cent small game head.

My apologies to the archery companies for undermining their $8 small game heads......