Thoughts on minimal bow speed and arrow weight for mechanicals

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
Wanting to get some of your thoughts on this. I will start by saying this is for WHITETAILS ONLY. I have 2 bows both at 70lbs and 28 inch draw. I have 2 different arrow setups for each bow. 1 is a 460 grain arrow out of 1 bow shooting 267fps, the other is a 535 grain arrow shooting 263fps. What would your recommendations be on using mechanicals out of these 2 bows. I do have 2 different fixed blades set for both of these bows but would like to use a mechanical for some strange reason. I'm getting to where I like shooting the bow with the lighter arrow because it seems a little quieter and more comfortable in my hands. So with that setup would you shoot a mechanical?

Boreal

WKR
If your fixed blades are shooting nice, I’d stick with those. But if your “strange reason”is compelling enough, or irresistible enough, you should be fine with either bow/arrow combo. Provided you’ve got a good mechanical and aren’t flinging a Rage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
If the difference is actually 4 fps, go heavy. The FPS difference should actually be much greater all else equal.

The lighter arrow should not be quieter.

I'd think you could use a quality MBH out of either with good result.

Btaylor

WKR
Killed my elk a couple weeks ago with a 495 grain arrow at 268fps with a G5 Deadmeat. full pass through on a pretty hard quartering shot and arrow was 20-25 feet on the other side of where the elk was. You will have no problem with mechanicals if you stay within reason, imo. Something like the deadmeat, spitfire or grim reaper in 1.5" or inch and 3/8 for the GR and you should zip through nearly every whitetail you shoot. In my experience moving up to the 1.75" or larger heads and pass throughs are less certain.

28" and 70# with a 460 grain arrow is plenty to blow a mechanical through a whitetail if your arrows are flying true and we're talking broadside shots at reasonable distance.

Battleguy

Banned
I'd be more worried about having a proper spined arrow that flies properly tipped with a cut on contact broadhead with good mechanical advantage and keep his max range down

Lawnboi

WKR
Shoot 450g at at 265 and blow mechanicals through whitetail shoulders no problem. I think your over thinking it.

I do believe the weight of the arrow means a lot more than the speed it’s traveling at when it comes to penetration

Ucsdryder

WKR
I question your speeds with those different weights. 4fps doesn’t sound right.

IdahoHntr

WKR

He does say he has two whole different bow setups. He isn't shooting these arrows out of the same bow. At least that is what it is sounding like to me.

Either bow and arrow combination should work fine for whitetails.

OP
Whitetaildown215

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider

I can see how you would think that but the 460 grain arrow is coming out of a hoyt carbon defiant while the 535 grain arrow is being used in a mathews triax. It's not both arrows out of the same bow. The 535 grain arrow out of the hot is right at 250fps if that helps make more sense.