80lb Hoyt RX1 vs 70lb Turbo

Logan T

WKR
I'm sure people will be reading this and thinking that I'm an idiot for asking this question, but I really don't care. I'm a bowhunter, emphasis on the "hunter" part of the word. Not much of an archery tech guy. Give me whatever bow, I just go hunt and shoot stuff. But as of two days ago I am starting to dig in and learn more about the tech side of archery.

Anyways, now that my elk season is over with, I'm on the hunt for a new bow. I am a Hoyt homer, for better or worse so I'm only looking for info on these two bows and will have the bows for the next 8-10 years. I'm going to be buying either the RX1 or the RX1 Turbo. I went and shot both of these bows yesterday, the RX1 set at 80lbs and the Turbo at 70. Both are amazing. The bows I shot were not set up and tuned for me specifically, but I shot a dozen arrows out of each and had arrows touching at the range with both. I did not however have time to dive into questions with the guys at the pro shop because I had other commitments I could not miss.

My question is this- what advantages would the RX1 with 80lbs have over the Turbo with 70lbs, and vice versa.?? I have a 29" draw. My thoughts on the two were that they both had a pretty similar back wall, not much noticeable difference (again coming from a guy that isn't well versed in the archery tech world). I felt that the 80lb bow did have noticeably more hand shock than the turbo, but I would think that's to be expected.

Any info comparing these two bows and their performance is much appreciated. This set up is going to last me for a long time, and with the price tag, I'm wanting to learn as much as I can about them.

OR Archer

WKR
The only advantage the 80# will have is a touch more speed. I just set a customer up with both the bows you described at a 29.5” Draw. Using the same arrow there was about 8-10fps difference. That’s splitting hairs in my opinion.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I would assume the 80 would be able to generate more momentum and KE than the turbo 70.

Being you hunt big game like elk, that spells deeper penetration which in my book is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battleguy

Banned
Have the rx1 in 80lbs. Pulls a bit heavier. 28.5" draw length. 510 grain arrow goes through right at 286 fps. And it is a smooth 80lbs. Can't say enough good things about the bow

gethuntin

WKR
Sounds like you will have the bow a while but things come up and if you decide to sell it will be easier to sell the 70# bow. Also if your going to hunt in colder weather and in heavier clothes 80 maybe a bit more difficult to pull back at crunch time than 70 degrees in a tshirt. I would also try to pull it the 80# bow back while kneeling. Speed wont be much of a difference so i would soley go on feel and accuracy if it were me. On the same note I never shot those models but other Turbo models were jumpy for me other than the Carbon Spyer Turbo with the z5 cam.

TBarron

WKR
I shot both and landed on the 80lb. Felt that the back wall was more solid. It did draw a little heavier but not enough to matter. I don’t have the numbers to back it up but noticeably saw arrows being driven deeper. Not sure on the new turbos but on my carbon defiant turbo I always seemed to have more string stretch issues and it was hard to keep it in tune. Haven’t had this issues so far with my rx-1 80lb

Battleguy

Banned
I have shot both bows at 28.5" and 70 lbs. Im not buying one, but if i did I would go the Turbo all day long. The draw cycle did not feel all that different to me.
The best TURBO hoyt has ever put out.
If you can pull 80 lbs easily consider an 80b TURBO- do they make one?

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
I have shot both bows at 28.5" and 70 lbs. Im not buying one, but if i did I would go the Turbo all day long. The draw cycle did not feel all that different to me.
The best TURBO hoyt has ever put out.
If you can pull 80 lbs easily consider an 80b TURBO- do they make one?

Thought you had the rx1 in 80lbs and could find anything wrong with it???

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Like I said I will hang onto the bow for quite a while, probably 8-10 years at least. Unless I find some crazy cash and something else amazing comes out from Hoyt. I shot both, the rx1 at 80lbs and the turbo was at 70. I'm 3.5-4 hours away from any kind of bow shop, and can't get there on any given day, it has to be a planned trip.

OR Archer-- Has either bow had any/more little issues or quirks as far as tune-ability goes?

OR Archer

WKR
Negative. Only thing I’d suggest is ditching the stock strings. Servings on them are terrible this year.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Shy wouldn’t you at least shoot some of the other bows this year? There are some stoooopis nice bows out there right now! Hell , just for fun!

I will toss out a thought. I have a 2015 spider turbo currently at 65lbs. My first bow. I also have a 2017 pro defiant 34 at about 75lbs. Both shoot pretty well. The same 438 grain finished weight arrow flies at 285 from the turbo and about 305 on the 34.

The turbo has been a pain in the ass to get tuned and have it stay tuned. I had to go through a new launcher and a bunch of grief to get it right. I ain’t a bow tech so I was paying retail to get the work done. The valley is also very short. Very jumpy. About every 2nd or 3rd practice I will collapse and let an arrow fly wild. It is my backup bow now.

The heavier 34 shoots smoother but I think it has a bit more shock at the end. Could be heavier poundage it the fact that it is aluminum. Never have trouble collapsing and it seems to stay synced and tuned for the most part. Overall I am much more satisfied with the non turbo 34. I doubt I would ever buy another turbo.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Shy wouldn’t you at least shoot some of the other bows this year? There are some stoooopis nice bows out there right now! Hell , just for fun!

For one, I’m a long ways from any bow shop and don’t really have time to try many different shops.

And two- it’s kind of like how I’m a dodge pickup, tikka rifle, kenetrek boots etc. guy. I’ve toyed around with other brands but for me they just weren’t what I was looking for. My cousin shot his bull this year with last years model Matthews halon. I pulled back that bow and it felt like it couldn’t wait to explode out of my release. Didn’t like it at all.

It's always funny how different opinions are. I was going to suggest trying a halon because I feel they have a good valley are easy to hold and are deader at the shot than any of the hoyt and bowtechs I tried. Elite has the best valley for holding but I didn't like the feeling of letting down. The halon just was overall better for me but I'm a Chevy guy.

I would get the 80lb if you can think you can pull it in all conditions and positions. If something happens in time age or health that you can't then you can sell it and get a 70lb. There is no substitute for displacement.

I will say though that Gritty bowman had an episode I believe in Alberta a couple years back where he struggles with the 80lb getting drawn at crunch time due to an awkward position so keep that in mind. He seems to be a fit dude and even said he has never had an issue at the range or before but at that moment really struggled to get it back.