Day Six Arrows

These arrows are now available. Anyone try them or ordered yet? Specs are very interesting.

bat-cave

WKR
I just ordered a dozen arrows earlier this week and will report back when I have them built up and sending them down range

OR Archer

WKR
I’ve had a little experience with them. Not real impressed with them. Mostly when it came down to tuning. They just didn’t tune as well as other comparable arrows.

TheTone

WKR
I'm curious about them for sure. I wish I could just buy one to really check out and I'm still not sure how the insert/collar system works. Is it basically a hit, with just the thread section of a point being inside the arrow while the unthreaded shank of the point would be outside but covered by the collar? I remember the zelor arrows had some sort of one piece insert and collar.

I shot Zelors for a couple years. I did a bunch of destructive testing with everything from GoldTip to Grizzly Stik this spring and the Zelor shaft was by far the most resistant to frontal impact failures. Even better than a 170 spine Grizzly Stik. I shot one though 5 bricks with a Valkyrie collar/point and it's still fine. The Grizzly Stik failed on the second shot. I can with complete confidence say that they are totally immune to frontal impact failure on big game with a Valkyrie collar/point. No other micro shaft I tested (VAP, VAP TKO, GT, Carbon Injexion) survived the first destructive test.
The old outsert system Zelor had was very strong, but didn't stay aligned well at all. The new ones look better, but if I switch to the Day Six shafts I'll put Valkyrie collars/heads on them for big game and shoot the Day Six ones with Gravediggers for turkeys and little stuff.
I'm going to do a little more testing with my X-Impacts, but I'll probably end up playing with a dozen of these when I am living where I can shoot more again.

OP
C
They are a little spendy but the specs are very nice. The outsert concerns me. I have not found an outsert I love. Hope he does well.

Trial153

WKR
Not being a wise ass. How are these any different then the other dozen .166 id shafts on the market?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had a little experience with them. Not real impressed with them. Mostly when it came down to tuning. They just didn’t tune as well as other comparable arrows.
What arrows do you find are the easiest to tune? How much does that vary between bows? Does draw weight play a role in that somehow? Just curious how that all works. Thanks!

OR Archer

WKR
FMJs are hard to beat for tuning. They’re just not the most durable.
As far as variability between bows that’s more of just choosing the correct spine for a particular bow. And yes draw weight plays a large part in the choice.

Probably unavoidable because of the weight but the Outside diameter is very close to some .204 I.D. arrows and you still get to mess with outserts.

Trial153

WKR
Probably unavoidable because of the weight but the Outside diameter is very close to some .204 I.D. arrows and you still get to mess with outserts.
Yea good point.

Might as well go 204 with brass hits and footer and not mess with any outsert

Boreal

WKR
I helped a buddy build up 6 last weekend. They are beasts, for sure. The pin outsert has a pin that sits inside the arrow shaft, and an outsert that glues on over the shaft. Two separate pieces. The pin is longer than a normal insert, I suppose to strengthen the shaft there. Overall, they ended up HEAVY. 28” cut with 125 on the end was 585 grains. They hit like a mule from an 80# RX1.

I’ll stick with my VAP TKOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I'm ordering a set here soon. Just waiting on pay day. They will be a bit lighter than my current arrow set up and excited to see how they hold up. I tend to break a lot of stuff

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered a dozen of these yesterday. I emailed them yesterday morning asking for suggestion on spine/outserts. Bryan literally emailed back in 5 minutes! On a Sunday!

Anyways my brother came up here to Montana last week to hunt elk. I called a bull in to him and he got a good shot opportunity at 50 broadside. Unfortunately the arrow hit the scapula and got basically zero penetration. We never caught up to that bull but were able to get glass on him from a mile away and the bull was living life like normal with the rest of the herd. That put both of us down the path of what Aron is always preaching on Kifarucast, basically a heavier weight arrow and a cut on contact head.

I haven’t decided between the Iron Will’s or Cutthroats. Any suggestions?

rwurdeman

FNG
Hey Journeyman, I have been using the Cutthroats on my trad bow setup and have been very pleased with them. Can't say anything about the Ironwills but the only negative thing I have heard is the price....Plus the guys at RMS Gear are great dudes so for me it is an easy decision.

bat-cave

WKR
+1 on Bryan's responsiveness! I sent him a question prior to ordering and got an answer back in <15 min. My order shipped out this AM, so hopefully I can get them built and airborne this weekend if all goes well. I'm planning to run them with the 50 gr outsert/centerpin & a 125gr Iron Will. If they fly like I hope, I'll use them in KS for Whitetail at the end of the month!

Cutthroats are constructed well, but they aren't nearly hard enough. 1075 is a very poor choice of material. Takes a good edge, but it rusts at the drop of a hat and isn't nearly hard enough to hold an edge through an animal. They're butter knife dull by the time they clear the other side of a critter.

Im curious to see how they are also. I am pretty content with my easton axis 300s with wraps, lighten nocks, and 50 gr brass w/ 100gr tip. Im at 505gr with a 28.5in arrow. It just feels light the right weight for me.

bat-cave

WKR
I built my DaySix 300’s up and put them down range today. My setup is the 300 spine withe the 50gr outsert & centerpin and a 4 fletch AAE Max Stealth. 28” carbon to carbon, so longer if you factor in the outsert. Zero issues building them and they have been dead on. My only issue is that the factory nocks are really loose on my serving. I want to be able to still shoot my FMJ’s if need be and those fit my serving perfectly. I emailed Bryan and after at most 15 min got an answer back that Easton G nocks will fit the shafts. I just picked some up and they look like they will do the trick, but won’t get to shoot again for a few days ... my grouping were nice and tight all the way out to 80 yards with 125 Gr Iron Wills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk