Valkyrie vs Iron Will.......What say you

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

If you were going to switch to a high end broad head would you go with the Valkyrie system or Iron Wills? What is the reasoning for your choice. Have been really thinking about making the switch as I feel most broad heads are one and done and really like the fact that I can practice and hunt with the same heads and just sharpen them up. Thanks all for your input.

BK

bsnedeker

WKR
I would go with the Iron Wills simply for the fact they are 2-blade vs the Valkyrie which is 3-blade. 2 blade will be easier/faster to sharpen, and in my mind should penetrate better due to less drag in the animal. I also like that IW makes their heads in just about any grain weight you could possibly want.

You obviously can't go wrong with either one...both companies stand behind their products and have ridiculously high standards compared to other BH manufacturers.

Moneyball

WKR
Never have tried the Valkyries, they look like a serious high quality head. I have shot the IWs quite a bit. They fly very well, and are easy to disassemble and sharpen. Both outstanding products I’m sure. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
I would run Iron Wills, strictly based on the 100gr offering and I don't want to buy new field points. Having said that the benefits of the Valkyrie system are undeniable, Lambo vs Ferrari here.

FlyGuy

WKR
I had the same choice to make earlier this Spring after becoming fed up with the goldtip outserts and then drawing a Bull Moose tag in idaho. I wanted something more reliable than the GT, heavier than my current set up of 442, and needed a fixed blade BH to comply with Idaho regs. I pretty quickly narrowed it down to the same two choices as you have.

The cost is high on either system, but I believe the Valkyrie system is a fair amount cheaper (might want to validate that).

I really like the 2 blade, single bevel heads from Grizzly Sticks and the research that it's based on, however I went with the Valkyrie system b/c of their center pin system and I've been very happy with them.

I was worried about the reduced speed and pin gaps resulting from a heavy set up, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

I ended up with 225gr heads and a total weight of 496gr. 28.5" draw, 70 lbs. 269ft/sec. I shoot the axcel 5 pin slider and I really didn't see a discernable difference in pin gaps. In fact, for longer ranges (70-110) where I'm dialing down the site, the gaps are actually smaller. My assumption is that the FOC helps them carry better at distance.

Anyway, I think either choice is a good one and luckily both companies have an inexpensive 2 arrow test kit that you can order with various heads. This allows you to see what combo your bow likes best, and if you take advantage of that it should help make the decision much easier.

I'm very happy with the Valkyrie. I was able to put 2 of them through moose a few weeks ago. 1 broadside at 35ish, one quartering away at 22. Both were full pass throughs and neither arrow was ever found. That's good enough for me!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Iron Will is a great design. The metallurgy is all spot on, and the quality is great. But, it's crippled by using the outdated and inadequate 8-32 connection system. It will be limited by the outsert and arrow it's screwed to. That's a huge wormhole to dive down all by itself.
The Valkyrie system solves everything but the arrow shaft, especially the newer heads. The new material (61 vs 54 HRC) was the finishing touch they needed. I felt like the 54 HRC heads were a bit soft. The connection system aligns beautifully and is 100% impact proof. It will only be limited by the arrow shaft you choose to go with.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I was worried about the reduced speed and pin gaps resulting from a heavy set up, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

I ended up with 225gr heads and a total weight of 496gr. 28.5" draw, 70 lbs. 269ft/sec. I shoot the axcel 5 pin slider and I really didn't see a discernable difference in pin gaps. In fact, for longer ranges (70-110) where I'm dialing down the site, the gaps are actually smaller. My assumption is that the FOC helps them carry better at distance.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

It's funny you mention your concern about speed and arrow drop. I was worried about that too, but my Valkyrie setup shoots flatter than other arrows up to 100 grains lighter. I think the high-BC owes to a combination of factors; reduced drag of tiny vanes/nano-diameter shaft/relatively small cutting diameter plus High FOC and quick recovery from paradox.

My setup is 514 grains also going 269, but I have to use a 290-ish FPS sight tape.

+1 vote for the Valkyrie System for sure.

jaximus

FNG
litlte older thread, bumped up yesterday, but ill add some things.

to me the choice between those two is super easy, iron will, all day, every day and twice on sunday.

being a wisconsin guy with all sorts of animals to shoot ranging from rodents, grouse, geese, turkeys, deer, bear and elk (which i assume you are discussing your arrow choice for), there is zero chance i would put myself in an arrow system that is so restrictive as the valkyrie. i use the same 475gr 18% FoC arrow system for everything and just sub our 100gr heads based on my target species.

now if youre in a state where you get 1 elk and/or 1 mule deer tag a year plus maybe a moose, i could see how the valkyrie system wouldnt be a deterrant, but in wisconsin, im at 2 turkey(spring/fall), basically unlimited whitetail(statewide buck/my county has a high doe tag quoto, didnt sell out this past year/i also do city herd control and was told i need to kill more), a bear every 8-ish years on preference points, plus grouse, geese and rodents, im shooting a LOT of arrows every season at animals.

one arrow system, one bow tune, one trajectory that i know VERY well. every shot i take is building that confidence and practicing for the next. big mechs for the birds and bears, depends on the situation for the deer and magnus and iron wills for elk.

Iron Will is a great design. The metallurgy is all spot on, and the quality is great. But, it's crippled by using the outdated and inadequate 8-32 connection system. It will be limited by the outsert and arrow it's screwed to. That's a huge wormhole to dive down all by itself.
The Valkyrie system solves everything but the arrow shaft, especially the newer heads. The new material (61 vs 54 HRC) was the finishing touch they needed. I felt like the 54 HRC heads were a bit soft. The connection system aligns beautifully and is 100% impact proof. It will only be limited by the arrow shaft you choose to go with.

What exactly do you mean by the bolded section?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is my opinion on the comment "it's crippled by using the outdated and inadequate 8-32 connection system"

The ATA 8-32 threaded replacement point system is what virtually every broadhead uses except for Easton Deep Six and Valkyrie's center point system. I think the 8-32 is very strong with a standard sized arrow and insert (.246 ID), especially with the grade 5 titanium and hardened stainless steel ferrules used by Iron Will. With a .204 ID arrow like the 5mm Axis, from my testing, I find it to be strong enough unless you have a side impact on a very heavy bone or rock. I use a hardened steel sleeve (Iron Will Impact Collars) to reinforce the arrow for these situations. For .165 ID arrows (like Valkyrie) the need to reinforce the end of the arrow increases since the smaller diameter shank is only about half as strong in bending as the standard 8-32. Valkyrie does a nice job of this with their centerpin sleeve going over the arrow. A Deep Six broadhead has the same shank diameter as the Valkyrie centerpin. Using an Iron Will Impact Collar (1" long hardened steel) over the arrow with a Deep Six broadhead will give you a similar reinforcement. The 8-32 connection system is actually stronger than both of these systems, it just doesn't fit inside a micro diameter arrow forcing you to use Valkyrie, Deep Six, or an outsert or half-out system which adds tolerances and often becomes the weak link.

Iron Will Lead Engineer

jaximus

FNG
Here is my opinion on the comment "it's crippled by using the outdated and inadequate 8-32 connection system"

The ATA 8-32 threaded replacement point system is what virtually every broadhead uses except for Easton Deep Six and Valkyrie's center point system. I think the 8-32 is very strong with a standard sized arrow and insert (.246 ID), especially with the grade 5 titanium and hardened stainless steel ferrules used by Iron Will. With a .204 ID arrow like the 5mm Axis, from my testing, I find it to be strong enough unless you have a side impact on a very heavy bone or rock. I use a hardened steel sleeve (Iron Will Impact Collars) to reinforce the arrow for these situations. For .165 ID arrows (like Valkyrie) the need to reinforce the end of the arrow increases since the smaller diameter shank is only about half as strong in bending as the standard 8-32. Valkyrie does a nice job of this with their centerpin sleeve going over the arrow. A Deep Six broadhead has the same shank diameter as the Valkyrie centerpin. Using an Iron Will Impact Collar (1" long hardened steel) over the arrow with a Deep Six broadhead will give you a similar reinforcement. The 8-32 connection system is actually stronger than both of these systems, it just doesn't fit inside a micro diameter arrow forcing you to use Valkyrie, Deep Six, or an outsert or half-out system which adds tolerances and often becomes the weak link.

Iron Will Lead Engineer
well said!

8-32 is plenty strong. standard arrows are also plenty strong. the problems all arise when you introduce the micros. theres a reason i dislike the micros.

I agree 100% with what Bill said, but would add one thing. He's right about the thicker cross section of the 8-32 heads. The need for a reinforcing collar is also spot on. Typical 8-32 connection hardware is far from adequate in terms of impact resistance. The collars he's making are a great way to beef up the half-baked garbage most arrow manufacturers are using.
What I would add is that the other problem with the 8-32 system is that it doesn't tend to align itself well. The head doesn't align itself with the bore of the shaft, and threads tend to be fairly loose. The square shoulders of hundreds of cheaply mass produced heads and hardware aren't helpful either. A tapered shoulder would go a long ways to improve alignment. It all means more work on our end to make sure it all ends up concentric. Quality aftermarket hardware and higher precision heads make a huge difference, but IMO it's time to scrap an archaic, poorly thought out design and make something stronger and more inherently precise.

Iron Will Lead Engineer

I just bought the Iron Will vented 100 grain heads but I use the GT pierce platinum micro arrows with the outsert system. Should I get the impact collars?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just bought the Iron Will vented 100 grain heads but I use the GT pierce platinum micro arrows with the outsert system. Should I get the impact collars?

The Iron Will Impact Collars can be used on these arrows, but only with Deep Six HIT Inserts and Deep Six field points or broadheads. They can't be used in place of the Ballistic Collars with their standard half-out, since the Ballistic Collar extends beyond the half-out to contain the shank of the broadhead, but our Impact Collars do not.

What I would add is that the other problem with the 8-32 system is that it doesn't tend to align itself well. The head doesn't align itself with the bore of the shaft, and threads tend to be fairly loose. The square shoulders of hundreds of cheaply mass produced heads and hardware aren't helpful either. A tapered shoulder would go a long ways to improve alignment. It all means more work on our end to make sure it all ends up concentric..

This is another thing that I like about the Iron Will collars...as long as the collar fits tight on the arrow you should have a perfect shoulder for your broadhead to mate to. At that point you just need your broadhead to be of the same quality, and your arrow to be straight.