Maximizing the structural integrity of an arrow

Beendare

WKR
Dave,
let me see if I can clarify what Matt, Myself and others are trying to tell you......My take, but first a little background;

I've shot these carbons for over 20 years.....bowhunting for over 30 with plenty of big animals to my credit.
I was sponsored by Beman back in the 80's/90's and shot the skinny 4mm shafts for many years.

I asked myself this same question about arrows decades ago.

One of the keys is perfect arrow flight. You mentioned paper tuning...but do you realize that is only half way there, right? A lot of arrow flight problems don't show up until you screw a BH on. You have to BH tune to insure perfect arrow flight. I think a lot of the problems with these setups is due to the arrow hitting at a slight angle...it doesn't take much to not only lose penetration....but to put more stress on your components especially at the BH connection.

I've actually seen proof of this^ many times. I've also seen guys with well tuned setups shoot at elk I've called in and due to form/with hunting gear on/kneeling in the woods/ nerves/etc....the arrow had a tiny wobble and penetration and arrow performance was significantly affected. Shooting a perfect hunting shot is a bit different than on the range in a T shirt....yes your arrow flight can be affected and without someone watching over your shoulder...a guy might not realize it. If you read between the lines on forums...this happens a lot.

The next most important factor is perfect arrow assembly. If the BH mating surface is even the tiniest bit off.....or the ends of the carbon shredded just a tiny bit...it weakens this critical connection. The short version; Meticulous arrow assembly is important and most guys just screw on their heads right off the saw.

Arrows; there are many that are strong these days by all mnfrs. Something with a good GPI and good spine consistency.

BH; a strong BH. Keep in mind, all BH's work...both mech and Fixed....but some heads put more torque on the end of the arrow than others....fighting with the 'structural integrity" instead of enhancing it.

If anyone wants direction to some good threads on other sites about this stuff with more detail....PM me.

Bottom line...the keys to a good arrow setup are the basics....not so much a purchased add on accessory or 'Adding FOC" If you don't take care of the basics....you will still have problems. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
if you look at the video born and raised did about arrows you will see the winner in that video was the good old easton axis with the HIT insert and a footer. now I am a little biased since it was my footer that were on that arrow. But I will say in all honest that I truly believe the axis arrow with a footer is one of the strongest and best arrows on the market. when I build arrows for customers and nock tune the match grade axis arrows 95% of the time I don't actually have to nock tune them. I personally shoot them and I dont think I will be changing any time soon.

Trial153

WKR
I use footers with flanges on .204 ID shafts with brass hits.... BEA, victory and GT been solid with the above system. I dont subscribe to .166 I'd shafts as havent used a component system yet that has had long term durability.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
if you look at the video born and raised did about arrows you will see the winner in that video was the good old easton axis with the HIT insert and a footer. now I am a little biased since it was my footer that were on that arrow. But I will say in all honest that I truly believe the axis arrow with a footer is one of the strongest and best arrows on the market. when I build arrows for customers and nock tune the match grade axis arrows 95% of the time I don't actually have to nock tune them. I personally shoot them and I dont think I will be changing any time soon.
I saw that video and that was pretty cool stuff with the axis arrow with a footer. So I am still learning about components, what are the pro/cons/differences between using a footer, outset with centerpin, and using a half out insert?

I saw that video and that was pretty cool stuff with the axis arrow with a footer. So I am still learning about components, what are the pro/cons/differences between using a footer, outset with centerpin, and using a half out insert?
footer are simply a sleeve that you glue on to your arrow, they make the weak spot of the hit insert system go away. that weak spot if relying on the carbon to hold your field point to broadhead in place should it want to bend at the threads. they are tougher then the FMJ's because the sleeve is thicker then the aluminum on the FMJ arrows. one of the biggest things I have found it that a lot of outsert, half outs and other systems may have issues with the components actually being square. the cool thing about the HIT system is that you just need to make the carbon square. once is square you should have less issues with broadhead or field points spinning perfect you can also sand them down if you want to index y our broadheads.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
footer are simply a sleeve that you glue on to your arrow, they make the weak spot of the hit insert system go away. that weak spot if relying on the carbon to hold your field point to broadhead in place should it want to bend at the threads. they are tougher then the FMJ's because the sleeve is thicker then the aluminum on the FMJ arrows. one of the biggest things I have found it that a lot of outsert, half outs and other systems may have issues with the components actually being square. the cool thing about the HIT system is that you just need to make the carbon square. once is square you should have less issues with broadhead or field points spinning perfect you can also sand them down if you want to index y our broadheads.
I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. What is the benefit of having a customized footer VS me getting one and gluing it on my own?

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. What is the benefit of having a customized footer VS me getting one and gluing it on my own?
All that make them custom is the ability to them any length you want. Also there are not many people making footers. I ship them to my customers ready to glue on cut to the length they specified with instructions on how to install them but they install them. That is unless I’m building arrows for them.

SKYNET KC

FNG
Footers are very helpful. A friend of mine footed the cheapest cartbon shafts he could possibly find and shot them into cinder blocks to see how they held up, and they actually did VERY well. It was kind of wild. This was an arrow that literally exploded without the footer.

Amazing what a 3" piece of aluminum can do.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider

If you want to make your own footers figure out the OD of your arrow then calculate the inside diameter of aluminum shafts using this formula.

Circumference minus 2 times the wall thickness.

Example what is ID of a 2217

Circumference equals 22/64 or .344
2 times .017 equals.034
.344 - .034 = .310

Lancaster will sell one shaft
You could probably find a chart online that already has the math done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm just going to throw this out there. Not sure if he still does, but Kevin Strother used to shoot a 140lb compound for hunting. One day I asked him what arrows he used in that thing. He said Easton ACC 3-71's (~.300 spine) were the only arrows he trusted to not blow apart using that bow.

Now most guys are shooting half or less than half that kind of draw weight. They shouldn't have to worry near as much about arrows blowing apart. Even at 80lbs with my 32 1/2" draw, I don't worry much at all if my arrows are going to fail because they've never shown me any indications that they will.

Trial153

WKR
I'm actually considering going back to them if I don't get the LR accuracy I want out of the Axis Match Grade.
.390 pro hunters are the only 400 spine arrow I hunt with. I use 75 grain brass inserts and 100 or 125 grain heads. I can tune pretty much any 60 to 65 set up that I ever had with that arrow.
I have yet to have a cull acc, I have yet to ever have to nock tune the shafts and i have never had them structurally fail on an game i shot. Bent a few, for sure however not even to negate the upside of their consistency.
I have one issue with them...I buy up every dozen raw shafts I can find. I bet i have 10 dozen uncut and two dozen cut and fletched.

Beendare

WKR
I think all of the carbons we are shooting these days are pretty good compared to the crap we were shooting when carbons first came out in the 80's.

That said, since they are all pretty strong now. Instead of buying add ons, A guy might want to look at the basics like running a decent spine....meticulous arrow assembly...good shooting form....and of course the big one; BH bow tuning.

IMO, ^These things go a long way in insuring a guy has less problems with his arrows 'structural integrity'