Maximizing the structural integrity of an arrow

bmart2622

WKR
No doubt that a properly tuned bow and the correct spined arrow setup and good arrow flight is very very critical. Here is my point, if a guy shoots a moderate weight arrow, say a 340 spine 8.5ish-9 gpi with the cheap ass aluminum insert that comes with the arrow and a 100-125 gr broadhead, its very doable to get that arrow to fly very well but it doesnt make it strong and with a hard impact something is going to give. So adding a footer or ss insert or half out.....can be beneficial to strengthening the arrow without sacrificing arrow flight, again as long as it is the correct arrow and tuned properly. I am by no means condoning chasing FOC or suggesting that an add on will replace good tuning or shooting form.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So adding a footer or ss insert or half out.....can be beneficial to strengthening the arrow without sacrificing arrow flight

The half outs and outserts are the worst for maximizing strength and durability IME. Even stainless steel half outs bend, and when they do......they put even more lateral force stress on the end of the shafts.

But yes, footers can add some strength to the end of arrows.

bmart2622

WKR
A half out is waaaay better than the cheap aluminum inserts that comes with a lot of arrows. Point being, a perfectly tuned arrow with perfect flight is not necessarily durable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Point being, a perfectly tuned arrow with perfect flight is not necessarily durable.

Of course......that's just one part of the equation. You can put footers and stainless steel inserts on a whole bunch of different arrows that are out there that shoot great, and you'll still have a broken arrow if you hit something hard. It may not break at the tip, but it will still break further up if you choose the wrong arrows.

But from my experience, I'll take the cheap aluminum insert over an outsert or half out every time.

bmart2622

WKR
The OP was looking for a way to build a more durable arrow so footers, inserts, heavier gpi arrows....all ways to do that. Thats not really debatable.

MylesH

FNG
From the recent arrow testing done by BRO and Garret Weaver your statement would be false if you consider a footer the same as an outsert. The only arrow that survived the test was a match grade Easton axis with a footer.

Beendare

WKR
Any outsert, half or whole ....suck.

^ exactly...its a flawed system. You know your stuff Trial.....

At least with an insert, it has full length contact with the inside of the shaft....and its bonded to that shaft fully....stronger with better alignment by design compared to an outsert.

I don't have a problem with guys putting the sleeves on the outside of their arrows....as long as they take care of the basics first.

Otherwise its like solving a driving issue with beefier new tires....when all you needed was an alignment

Trial153

WKR
From the recent arrow testing done by BRO and Garret Weaver your statement would be false if you consider a footer the same as an outsert. The only arrow that survived the test was a match grade Easton axis with a footer.
A footer isnt an outsert. It isnt an insert. It isnt used as an attachment to the point. A footer just additional matterial used to re enforce the shaft. Hopefully in such a way that it's over both the shaft and most or part of the insert.
If your "footing " the outsert/half out your not making it stronger you are Exacerbating the weakness by adding more surface to which lateral force can be applied and more potential for failure of the system.

Outserts work well for one group of people. The people that sell them.

Last edited:
OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
A footer isnt an outsert. It isnt an insert. It isnt used as an attachment to the point. A footer just additional matterial used to re enforce the shaft. Hopefully in such a way that it's over both the shaft and most or part of the insert.
If your "footing " the outsert/half out your not making it stronger you are Exacerbating the weakness by adding more surface to which lateral force can be applied and more potential for failure of the system.

Outserts work well for one group of people. The ones that sell them.
So good ^^^
I am learning so much. I think I want to do some testing on my own. Anyone want to donate money for me to slam some arrows?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think I want to do some testing on my own. Anyone want to donate money for me to slam some arrows?

I can just about guarantee you that I have destroyed more arrows and BH's and stuff in the last 10 years than most people would buy in a lifetime. I do all my own testing because not everyone's tests or results are the same (everyone shoots a different bow, different draw, different draw length......hence different energies and results)......and I like destroying stuff. Yes, doing your own testing is best but also expensive, and time consuming. Good luck with your quest.

Brendan

WKR
But honestly if you want good advice get it from guys like John Dudley, Aron Snyder...

So what you're saying is not to listen to guys like you who can only say "Well, Aron Snyder said...."

For the record, Aron is shooting trad and is stump shooting all day long, and Dudley's arrow choice is a 5mm Axis or FMJ, both with brass inserts.

bmart2622

WKR
So what you're saying is not to listen to guys like you who can only say "Well, Aron Snyder said...."

For the record, Aron is shooting trad and is stump shooting all day long, and Dudley's arrow choice is a 5mm Axis or FMJ, both with brass inserts.

I am no expert and dont have near the experience that other guys do. And there are lots of people online who have a lot less experience than me. People like Aron and Dudley have decades of experience and have killed hundreds of animals using many different bows, arrows and components so why not use their experience to help you? I have tried quite a bit of different setups and dont do things just because Aron said so, so you are wrong there. And for the record Aron has tons of experience with compounds despite shooting a trad bow now. So just a couple facts for you to consider since you seem to want to run your mouth...online.

Im proud to say I built those footers for Garrett. I have also done 2 pod casts with him about arrows and broadheads.