Arrow fletchings: Straight, Offset, or helical?

MylesH

FNG
Looking to build the most efficient arrow possible. Listening to others reviews an opinions on here I am now leaning towards the Day Six 250's with the 100 gn. SS outsert. Now with having an extra 100 gn's up front shooting low profile broadheads (slick trick Viper trick 100 gn.) I am going with AAE pro max 4 fletch with an offset style fletch which in my understanding should be enough to guide the arrow out to longer distances with no problems as my arrow should be slightly overspined.

Feel free to leave opinions or other ideas, not opposed to the valkyrie system either, just believe it is similar enough to the Day Six setup.

I’m shooting easton axis match grade 340’s with the standard nock and 50 grain brass up front. 125 grain broadheads that are either slick trick standard or iron will 125 solids. Fletching is bohning heat vanes that have a 2 degree helical.

Arrow is 470 grains going 277 fps. I have zero flight issues with this set up and broadheads are flying with field points out to 60. Haven’t shot them any further yet. As far as penetration, I blew a slick trick trough a bull elk at 55 yards and the arrow went 20 more yards and stuck 3 inches into the ground. Here is the exit wound.

c14222731fb90052244f972fb124d77a.jpg

There may be a better set up, but I’m damn happy with what I have. I’d shoot anything in North America with this set up and wouldn’t think twice about it. I can’t remember if it was John Dudley or Aaron Snyder that talked about fixed blade broad heads and arrow speed but if I recall correctly, 280 FPS is an optimal max speed. Any faster and the broad head starts to affect the flight and steer over the fletching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
WOW to get a passthrough on an elk is impressive on its own but at 55 yards, that's insane. I have shot axis 340's on another older setup and don't mind the arrows except for the fact that they splinter with the HIT inserts in the front which i don't particularly care for. I have a feeling if i hit bone my arrow is just going to splinter out.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
adding to that I need about a 520 gn. arrow total to reach in the 280 fps region

bmart2622

WKR
If you are trying to build an awesome arrow that is strong and with good components you might look to use something different than a slick trick or any other head like that. You are doing yourself a huge favor by shooting over 500grs.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
use something different than a slick trick or any other head like that.

Do you have any other suggestions for a better broadhead? I thought slick tricks were supposed to be some of the most accurate on the market?

bmart2622

WKR
Oh they are accurate and Ive ued them to kill several animals all with pass thrus but if use a very durable system like the Day 6, the slick trick will now be the blaring weak link. Something like a Valkyrie, Iron Will, Kudu Point, RMS Cutthroat would probably be more durable. I am by no means an expert but Kifarucast has several good podcasts on arrows and broadheads and Aron has literally killed hundreds of animals so he's a pretty good authority on it.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
I have given some thought into the valkyrie, they look devastating

bmart2622

WKR
I watched a video of a guy shooting what looked like a cow femur and it absolutely blew it up, not just shot thru it but blew it up

adding to that I need about a 520 gn. arrow total to reach in the 280 fps region

Splintering is something that could occur with the hit system. I shot a big bodied whitetail last year dead center of the spine and the arrow was fine. The broadhead however was not. It bent the ferule. It was a slick trick standard. I’ve splintered one easton axis and it was from a dead centered shot into a rock at 20 yards. Kind of to be expected with the setup I have. I’ve also destroyed an iron will by hitting a rock. Busted both bleeders off and chipped the front blade. But, they will replace it for free. You can always add another 25 grains of brass insert as well to get more foc and heavier plus I’m sure your arrows would be longer so that would give you more total weight.

Another great fixed blade is tooth of the arrow. They are machined. Not sure of how they fly as I’ve never shot one. My buddy keeps trying to get me to shoot rage broad heads Bc he knows I’m not a fan of mechanicals. Mainly Bc I know what’s going to happen to the blades if I hit any bone with my setup. They are one shot and done broad heads. Lol

WOW to get a passthrough on an elk is impressive on its own but at 55 yards, that's insane. I have shot axis 340's on another older setup and don't mind the arrows except for the fact that they splinter with the HIT inserts in the front which i don't particularly care for. I have a feeling if i hit bone my arrow is just going to splinter out.

If you can get 470 plus grains going 280 FPS with 16% foc, it will blow through anything with good shot placement. I’d have no problem shooting the same setup at an elk at 80 and with a broadhead like iron will, I’d expect a complete pass through after what I saw this year at 55 yards.

You honestly don’t have to have over 500 grains and you certainly don’t have to have 20% or more foc. While there is merit in the Ashby report, it’s not the “law”. John Dudley shoots around 13-14 percent foc and blows through any animal he shoots. A lot of good info on his podcast Nock On.

Lastly, I am not trying to persuade you one way or another. I’m offering first hand experience of what has worked for me. By no means am I saying how I set up my arrows is the best. I way over thought my last set of arrows and couldn’t make up my mind. I went into it thinking I was going to build vaps or vap tko’s with stainless outserts and footers and 4 fletch. And after researching and deciding I didn’t know anyone that could do 4 fletch and I don’t have the tools to build arrows, I simplified it and went with what I have now. And if I shot more than 4 times a month I’d probably shoot a better group than I do now. It’s not a bad group by any means, but it could be better.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
Understandable, and i know I'm way overthinking this haha. I just have a pet peeve of my equipment not being up to my standard, which is pretty high unfortunately mainly due to being as humane as possible while hunting.

Understandable, and i know I'm way overthinking this haha. I just have a pet peeve of my equipment not being up to my standard, which is pretty high unfortunately mainly due to being as humane as possible while hunting.

I completely understand. lol m not happy with my rifle unless all three bullets are overlapped at 100 yards. If it’s more than a half inch group then I’m not happy. So at 20 yards if I’m not shooting a half inch group I’m not happy. Lol. I can assure you that it’s never the bow, it’s always the Indian in my case.

Btaylor

WKR
Looking to build the most efficient arrow possible. Listening to others reviews an opinions on here I am now leaning towards the Day Six 250's with the 100 gn. SS outsert. Now with having an extra 100 gn's up front shooting low profile broadheads (slick trick Viper trick 100 gn.) I am going with AAE pro max 4 fletch with an offset style fletch which in my understanding should be enough to guide the arrow out to longer distances with no problems as my arrow should be slightly overspined.

Feel free to leave opinions or other ideas, not opposed to the valkyrie system either, just believe it is similar enough to the Day Six setup.

Profile says you are in FL, best advice I can give you is get in the car and go see Jerry at Southshore. The other piece of advice I would offer is to be confident in your ability to recognize shinola if you are going to ask an opinion question on a forum.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I have given some thought into the Valkyrie, they look devastating

I really think you're on to something with the Pro-Max vanes and a nano-diameter shaft. Ultimately I think that plus increased FOC will give you faster, flatter arrow flight no matter what brand you choose

That said, I'll throw in a vote for the Valkyrie System. The Day6 stuff looks great and the flexibility of head selection could be a deciding factor for some, but the Valkyrie centerpin serves to stiffen up the front of the arrow and the fit & finish are unparalleled.

I totally agree that extreme FOC is not necessary, but I will also point out that every mechanical advantage we can take is a step closer to putting meat in the freezer. High to extreme FOC has proven itself to me with two very quick kills this year which included a rear-quarter exit with substantial contact to the femur but the arrow and head won the day for sure. I'm shooting a 514 grain Valkyrie. 250 spine, 200 grain head and the aluminum collar with a Pro-Max 4-fletch with 2ish degree right helical. These arrows are only going 269fps but they fly so flat I have to use a 290fps sight tape. Moreover, they're stupid-easy to tune.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m extremely happy with the Valkyrie system. I went to it last year after drawing a moose tag and doubt I’ll ever change. 496 gr arrows and they are just butter. Put two of them through a bull moose, one was a hard quartering away shot that came through the offside shoulder. Never found the arrow. I’m a true believer. It is NOT cheap, but I’m not complaining about the value. Plus, if you have a question or an issue Brent will answer the phone directly when you call.

You can’t cheat the mountain

jaximus

FNG
im personally not much for 4 fletch unless you absolute NEED to run the lower profile vanes for cable clearance (some hoyts) and need that 4th vane to make up for the loss of surface area. 3 fletch blazers(my preference) or other vane of your choice is sufficient to correct any form deficiency should one arise at the moment of truth from a properly tuned bow.

as for straight/helical/offset... straight is basically useless. offset is better, but i prefer helical. the arizona ez mini jig is an awesome tool and does a great iob. puts a nice helical on the short 2" blazer style vanes.

im not of a fan of the valkyrie system. its too constrictive, you cant use normal stuff.

im not too big on the micro shafts, i prefer standard shafts as the components are stronger, lack the weakness near the insert and generally have a better gpi distribution, but that part is mostly personal preference.

i build my arrow systems around 100gr heads so i can easily swap heads for the target creature. plenty of great 100gr offerings. i build the arrow mass with insert weight for the benefits of FoC. youre leaning this direction, thats good!

the vipertrick is a good head, but its not a great head. i would put it in a group with the muzzy trocar, the wasp heads, and thunderhead, but below the group of iron will, magnus black hornet, stinger and vpa.