Silverback back tension release for hunting?

MylesH

FNG
Stuck between the Nock 2 It and the Silverback for hunting, they both have their pros and cons but I have a tru ball thumb style release (4 fingers) and still can manipulate the shot. Therefore I wanted some opinions to see if i should get the nock 2 it for a 2 finger style thumb release with the possibility of less fingers leading to a "surprise" shot.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the Silverback is a tension release and I would never recommend that for hunting unless it is set on the extreme heavy side. Tension releases are for the most part great training releases, but not many ever succeed with them under pressure situations.

If you like that release than I would get the companion Nock 2 It release Dudley offers and use that hunting and train with the Silverback.

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
Fewer fingers on the release won't lead to a surprise shot. You either hit the trigger or you don't. I have both releases and shoot the Nock 2 It far more accurately at this point, but practice pulling with my back muscles using the Silverback in my basement. I don't know much about your release, but the Nock 2 It has such a crisp trigger that a surprise shot is easy to get. If your trigger has creep you can forget about a surprise shot.

matman

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all preference really. I hunt with a back tension style release just like the silverback; however, I am extremely comfortable with my ability to use that release, and to confidently pull through my shot each time. If that does not sound like you I would not recommend using it for “hunting” situations. Love using my Nock2it and I don’t think you could go wrong by purchasing one. Especially since you could resell it on rokslide for damn near new price if you decide you do not like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFFHNTN

WKR
So the Silverback is a tension release and I would never recommend that for hunting unless it is set on the extreme heavy side. Tension releases are for the most part great training releases, but not many ever succeed with them under pressure situations.

If you like that release than I would get the companion Nock 2 It release Dudley offers and use that hunting and train with the Silverback.

Agreed. Under pressure situations and adrenaline a tension activated release is a recipe for disaster imo. I hunt with a hinge (back tension) and would recommend it.

bsnedeker

WKR
Have you looked at the Tru Ball GOAT release? It combines a back tension and a thumb-button into the same release, you just change a couple of parts out when you want to swap. You can practice all year with back tension, then swap it out to a thumb for hunting....best of both worlds! It's brand new, but the reviews seem really positive so I have one on my wish-list.

Lawnboi

WKR
I shoot pretty decent with a tension. But I still wouldn’t use it hunting because of the above.

Cold muscles, longer hold times at full draw are just a few reasons.

Even when I shoot with it it takes me a couple shots to get warmed up to it

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The GOAT release does not have a tension way of shooting it. It can be shot as a thumb button or a hinge, no tension.

I think there is some misunderstanding on “back tension.” Back tension is a way of executing any type of mechanical release. The release are index finger, thumb button, tension and hinge for the most part. They should all be executed with back tension if you are shooting them the best you can.

bsnedeker

WKR
The GOAT release does not have a tension way of shooting it. It can be shot as a thumb button or a hinge, no tension.

I think there is some misunderstanding on “back tension.” Back tension is a way of executing any type of mechanical release. The release are index finger, thumb button, tension and hinge for the most part. They should all be executed with back tension if you are shooting them the best you can.

Yeah, you are correct and, for the record, I do know the difference, my bad!

Hunthigh1

WKR
I have shot an elk at and a turkey with mine. I like that it forces me to stay deeply engrained in my shot process. It’s doable, but you better be damn familiar with it. This is the only release I have shot for ~2 ?years . It is the only one I own now. Headed out for a deer with it in November....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted last season with Silverback after spending most of last year trying to overcome target panic. Have not gone back to another release. My old lady shoots a Nock2It and I’ve shot it a few times. But I prefer the Silverback. Just have to give yourself enough time to really work with it.

Mitten32

WKR
Silver back is my “training” release for when I get a case of the yips and the nock two it is my hunting release. Really like the combo of these and don’t miss my wrist rocket at all.

stu_manji

FNG
sounds like a good way to shoot the ground under and animal when you get excited. but maybe not. I could see myself jerking on that thing too hard in my draw cycle and pow, there goes the arrow, and there goes the animal?

mtnkid85

WKR
sounds like a good way to shoot the ground under and animal when you get excited. but maybe not. I could see myself jerking on that thing too hard in my draw cycle and pow, there goes the arrow, and there goes the animal?
There is a safety switch that you hold until you are ready to release the shot. Still a nervous "flinch" could release it early but it shouldn't happen during your draw cycle or while just holding at full draw when you should be holding the safety.

Mkuper

FNG
I'm the same as some of them here. I practice with my silver back most of the pre-season. I hunt with a nock2it and carry the silverback as a backup. I would bring a second nock2it but they are $$. All winter I shoot the 2smooth on my indoor set up. I am a creature of habit and just really like to feel of the two finger releases.

Zac

WKR
I typically end up activating the Evolution once I dump the safety on my first couple shots. Then after about ten or so shots I can never get the thing to go off. It may be due to heavy poundage with low let off, I'm running 80 lbs with 75% mods. I really want to attempt hunting with it though, so far I've only hunted with a hinge and I actually get a little panicky with them at longer distances.

jwall046

FNG
Silverback arrived and I can see some major flaws in my technique already!
I like it so far and need to practice a lot. But I think this and the nock 2 it will be my preferred release