Mechanical to fixed

tlkaetz

WKR
I've got Iron Will Solid 125s and QAD Exodus 125s in my quiver. I haven't shot anything with the Iron Wills yet. I have always had good luck with the QAD Exodus heads.

Zac

WKR
I am the same way, I'm so paranoid about not recovering the Iron Will that I just keep them in the quiver.

JakeC

FNG
I swapped to a fixed after many years of shooting rage. I never had a problem or a lost animal, just wanted to mix it up. I bought several different brands to test and ended up sticking with wac'em 3 blades for now. They flew as well as slick trick and exodus out of my bow. All 3 performed flawlessly with no additional tuning.

YBPS

WKR
I shoot a 125 Simmons land shark for elk and deer. What ever you shoot make sure they are sharp enough to shave hair on your arm. To keep them sharp you have to work on them every few days.

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
I switched back to fixed blades last year after using Spitfires for many years. I drew my elk tag in ND last year and didn't want to risk it with a mechanical. I went with the Wasp drones based on my buddies recommendation. He has tested way more broadheads than anyone else I know personally. They fly extremely consistent and are also quieter than most others they've tested. They are also extremely reasonably priced and come with extra blades. Don't be afraid to try them out as well.

RTR

FNG
I switched from a mechanical broadhead to a fixed (slicktrick). I'll never go back... regardless of how good mechanical broadheads get, they can't overcome the physics handicap that they inherently have. Some smaller game animals may be okay with a mechanical, but I think any benefits are outweighed by the detriments.

MtnOyster

WKR
I’ve used Thunderheads since 1989-90, I have tinkered with a few others as the years have went by but when season starts they have always been in my quiver, they are as tuff as a broad head gets and fly great out of a well tuned bow.

One thing i’ve Learned over the years with people using mechanicals is..............not all but the majority use them to shortcut tuning because either they don’t know how or they don’t have the equipment it takes to properly tune a bow, no doubt a mechanical will fly better because of blade profile but out of a well tuned bow you will get the same accuracy with a fixed as you will a mechanical head......my 2 cents........... good luck with whatever head you choose.

Check out Tooth of the Arrow , they are a one piece machined head with great tolerances. they use good steel and are very tough. High quality and come in under $45 for 3 heads.
I had great luck with them on elk and deer. this year i shot straight through the scapula on my elk and it destroyed the scapula bone right in the crease, BH wasn't damaged,, just needed to be resharpened.

I switched to a fixed head when I dropped down to a 60lb draw weight.

Picked up a set of the Iron Will 100gr heads this summer.

I’ve hunted with them throughout this whitetail season and so far, I’ve been happy with them.

Zac

WKR
I am really interested in the new Shwacker fixed blade if anyone has any experience with them, they look like tanks.