Removing glue from arrows

elkyinzer

WKR
I jacked up about half out of a dozen arrows I was flectching for my buddy. They are Victory VAPs. I played all around with the angles on the bitz and these tiny shafts are just a bitch to fletch helical. The FMJs I fletch for myself are always flawless.

I need to fix them. How do I prep the carbon arrows again? I can't scrape the glue off or it will nick the carbon right? I tried acetone but it's not doing shit. Pretty pissed off at these things. Goat Tuff glue if that matters.

wapitibob

WKR
I scrape with a knife, then mek, then dawn liquid soap, then clean water rinse.

You can soak longer in the acetone, maybe a cpl minutes, and that will do it. The epoxy resin is cured so the acetone won't do anything to the shaft.

I wrap the glued area with a piece of paper towel soaked in acetone for 5-10 minutes and it just wipes off. The acetone wants to evaporate fast so I also wrap it with a piece of grocery bag. Also loosens the pieces of vane left on the shaft.

TheCougar

WKR
There is a cheap Bohning vane scraper I use (red handle and curved blade). If you don’t push hard it will remove the glue and not damage the carbon, but it takes a while. Then I hit the shaft with a red or green scotch brite pad. Then I wipe with a damp cloth to remove graphite, then I wipe with acetone until the paper towel comes away clean.

I scrape with a knife, then mek, then dawn liquid soap, then clean water rinse.

You can soak longer in the acetone, maybe a cpl minutes, and that will do it. The epoxy resin is cured so the acetone won't do anything to the shaft.

Sorry man. I learned that isn’t true.

Carbon arrows are held together with epoxy. Acetone dissolves epoxy. If it dissolves your arrow glue it dissolves cured epoxy.

You might get away with for a while. I used to do that sometimes for up to an hour to remove fletching glue.

Until one time I screwed up two inserts and figured I don’t have anything to lose by soaking it in my acetone jar overnight. They were spaghetti noodles. Best case scenario you are weakening your spine by soaking in acetone. Worst case scenario you fill your bow hand full of carbon slivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, once you get it done I would recommends wraps. I know that some folks have adhesion problems, but I’ve found that with proper prep and the right bane/vinyl combo, they’ll stick like iron

Common sense was assumed but just in case, I did say "maybe a cpl minutes".

I hear what you are saying. I just don’t think it is a good practice.

Wraps are the best. Otherwise scrape clean, scotch bright, and a rubbing alcohol wipe is a better idea. In my opinion of coarse.

If it dissolves glue, it is dissolving your arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk