Painting

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone paint there accessories to knock shine off? If so post up pics

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m hoping to see some response. I want to paint my entire bow and sight this winter with a flat paint.

My bow is camo and sight is black but both have glare in direct sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i spray paint all my stuff,no big deal and not worth taking pictures, you only have to please yourself

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I duracoated my sight and limb pockets didn't hold up as well I hoped but still looks good. Sorry no pictures right now

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Yep, i rattle can my cams and anyhting black/shiny on my compounds.....do my treestands too

and then I covered my shiny ILF recurve limbs with snake skins for no glare- easy 2 snakes in the grass lg.jpg

20-30yd group2-15.jpg

Yep, i rattle can my cams and anyhting black/shiny on my compounds.....do my treestands too

and then I covered my shiny ILF recurve limbs with snake skins for no glare- easy View attachment 80928

View attachment 80929

I haven’t seen that before. I dig it. How did you attach the skins?

Also nice group. I still suck with my recurve. I would have to shoot 15 arrows and cull half of them to take that pic

FreeRange

WKR
Have used the Rothco coyote brown spray paint on a few items, mainly super shiny tripod legs (Like the KDC that's super shiny black aluminum), about as durable as I'd expect spray paint to be. Also did good spray and prep on most items on my superlightweight AR that I built and that has all held up really really well.

Sometimes I hunt in my running shoes and they're colored bright yellow and silver like I'm dressed up to go to a rave, have thought about spray painting them. Anyone tried this? I know footwear is probably the last place you need concealment but even still these things are crazy bright and reflective.

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
I decided to just got for it and painted my accessories turned out good def took care of any glare
85898249613fe81a05ff72cc03350d34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Painted mine a couple years ago. It wont win any beauty contests but it gets stuff done.
86694393af0d1a39108abec642f06f38.png

Beendare

WKR
I haven’t seen that before. I dig it. How did you attach the skins?

easier than it looks...and there are tutorials on the web. Clean and paint the limb...the skins are translucent so a brown or black background color is best. Sand with 220 to give the glue something to stick to. Use high quality wood glue, thin coat on the limb and skin. The skin is going to want to curl on the outside edges that are not contacting the limb, snip little slits perpendicular to the limb about every inch.

As its drying you have to keep even pressure on the skin...like a thin piece of foam with thin metal or thin strip of wood backing it. Keep pressure on it or clamp.Let dry for a day.

Scrape off the actual scales. Trim the edges with a sharp razor blade. Seal with Polyurethane...about 6 coats. You can use gloss for under coats....seals better....but the last coat you need semi or matte finish. It works best to Fog a couple light coats on at the end to give it a bit of texture...play with it on a piece of cardboard you will see what I mean.

Then you can rub it down with a scotchbrite or steel wool -lightly- to take even more shine off of it. I've heard of some guys applying wax....

My skinned bows have been hunting in and out of rain for many years....no problems. The skin does negatively affect performance by a couple feet per second [added weight] not sure exactly how much.

You can buy the skins on eBay....or go skin and air dry your own. They say not to salt cure.

la