Muzzy Trocar

IAboy92

FNG
Has anyone had any trouble with the Muzzy Trocar fixed blade broadheads? I purchased some this year for the Iowa whitetail season and have had all kinds of trouble. Looking back now, I think I was shooting junk arrows and that was most of the problem. I bought these pretty sharp looking all black 500gr arrows on Amazon just thinking I would use them as practice arrows throughout the year so I wouldn't be damaging my expensive arrows, but I ended up liking them and shooting them pretty true with my field points so I was just about to use them during the season.

The night before I was going to go out, I went to the yard to shoot a few arrows with the broadheads and my lighted nocks. Thank God I did because you would have thought I was shooting knuckle balls at the target! I have never seen an arrow fly like that!! I switched to some other fixed blade broadheads I had laying around and still had some issues so I reverted back to my maxima hunter arrows and old broadheads and was able to get everything back on track. I did not try the Trocar's with the 350gr maxima hunter arrows as I was anxious to get into the field but that could likely fix the problem for those as well.

I have made several very important findings from this experience and just wanted to pass those on to you.

First, the Muzzy Trocar is an offset blade broadhead which is supposed to encourage better spin on an arrow. I believe part of my problem was that this spin direction was the opposite direction of my arrow fletching so make sure you are aware of your fletching direction before purchasing these broadheads.

Second, I obviously had an issue with the spine of the arrows I was shooting. The part that gets me though is that I was shooting darts with the field tips on.

That brings me to my most important takeaway: Always practice shooting with your actual hunting set up!! I will always have a target that I can shoot broadheads into because nothing can replicate the exact flight of a broadhead except that broadhead. If I had not practiced with my actual arrow set up that night I could have very easily went out the next day and missed the deer of a lifetime or worse yet injured a deer with a bad shot because I did not take the time to properly tune my set up.

Anyways sorry this got really long but just wanted to put this out there for you guys as a reminder to check your set up and make sure your arrow is doing what you think it is doing. Hope you have a great rest of your season!

Beendare

WKR
Well you got a bunch of us snickering with your post!

I have made several very important findings from this experience and just wanted to pass those on to you.

That brings me to my most important takeaway: Always practice shooting with your actual hunting set up!! .....

Good on you to test with BH's. Though Muzzys are essentially the Walmart of BH's....its not the BH...its bow tuning that is causing you all of this grief....and thats what all of the experienced guys will tell you.

Now imagine; hoards of bowhunters going into the woods with their untuned bows and mech heads that fly like your Muzzys.......and they don't know it.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Well you got a bunch of us snickering with your post!

Good on you to test with BH's. Though Muzzys are essentially the Walmart of BH's....its not the BH...its bow tuning that is causing you all of this grief....and thats what all of the experienced guys will tell you.

Now imagine; hoards of bowhunters going into the woods with their untuned bows and mech heads that can do the exact same thing as your Muzzys.......

Bout like the hoards of folks that take to the woods with a gun they havent practiced with or "tuned" thru practice and load testing. Only difference is there are thousands more of them than there are bowhunters. Point here is I think bowhunters get an unduly large amount of blame for wounding. No matter what your weapon of choice is each hunter has a responsibility to have that weapon dialed to the best of thier abilities and to have practiced with it to the point of consistent proficiency.

Completely agree with your post though.:)

Beendare

WKR
^ agreed.

Its Boards like these surely help bowhunters to refine their skills and setups....

I hope I didn't sound snippy to the OP....good on him for testing. ...a crucial part of the process. Many guys stop at tuning with FP's...and really they are only 1/2 way there.

Muzzy broadheads are a decent head and generally perform well. I've shot 7 elk with various types of muzzy's and haven't had one walk away. For whitetails I think they'd be perfect as long as they tune to your setup. That's the trick with broadheads, it's generally not the brand or style, but the ones you shoot best. Nothing makes a deadly archery hunter like confidence in your setup.

I dislike the baby Allen screw to change the blades , everyone stripped. They flew great but are a one and done head . For this reason i didn’t use them

Beendare

WKR
My problem with Muzzys...and all of the short wide replaceable blade heads out there; They compress the hide on contact putting the blade edge in direct contact with hair hide and bone. Add the fact these are cheap blades that dull easy and if you get an animal with a thick hide....many times those blades are dulled before entering the animal.

Sure those short heads are easier to tune....but you sacrifice performance IMO.

I think it's truly all about what you are after. If a "one and done" head is fine with you, then great. If you want a head that you can shoot a half dozen head of large ungulates with, then don't use replaceable blade heads. I've used them both, I like them both. The last elk I shot was with a QAD Exodus. The last 10 or so deer were with G5 strikers. They both worked fine. Big, wide, short blood trails. Depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you want to tweak your bow. I really think Muzzy's are just fine if they shoot well out of your setup. Lots of meat in my freezer and antlers on the wall can't be all wrong. No, they are not top end ultra - expensive heads, but they kill quickly. If you're worried about them being dull when you dig them out of a dead animal, remember you are notching your tag because of that head. Be kind.

bowuntr

WKR
My problem with Muzzys...and all of the short wide replaceable blade heads out there; They compress the hide on contact putting the blade edge in direct contact with hair hide and bone. Add the fact these are cheap blades that dull easy and if you get an animal with a thick hide....many times those blades are dulled before entering the animal.

Sure those short heads are easier to tune....but you sacrifice performance IMO.

Not sure where you came up with this... I've been shooting Muzzy broadheads for over 25 years and have never thought their blades are dull or get dull going through an animal. I shot two muskox this year and had complete pass thrus... thick wooly hide and bone, no problem. I shoot the MX3 not the Trocar, sorry for the slight derail. I agree 100%, shot placement is everything. Ed F

Zspires94

FNG
Another thing to think about is Cam Hanes only shoots trocars.. I’ve been shooting them for a couple years and if your bow is tuned properly they’ll fly with field points. Also, I have never had any penetration issues or blades easily being dulled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Cam also shoots Magnus Stingers. The most annoying thing about the Muzzy to me is that stupid cant they put in the head that has to be shot with a R helical or R offset. Ramcat has done the same thing and I feel most people have no idea when purchasing these heads.

MattB

WKR
I've only killed one animal with them (moose) and the edge retention was poor. The shot was broadside and just a touch high through both lungs and I had to apply a finisher 45 minutes later.

The previous moose I shot with a VPA 3 blade with very similar shot placement dropped in less than 10 seconds.

The long and short of it is that I think the aggressive blade angle coupled with less then top quality blade steel can lend itself to poor results under certain circumstances.

Trial153

WKR
Bought a pack to try out when they first cam out I sheared off a couple blades when went through a rhino block and hit a wood frame behind it. I think trashed them. I think there are better options out there with similar designs.

Whisky

WKR
I do agree they are maybe a bit fragile.

That said they are what I shoot. I tested them, Slick Tricks, QAD Exodus and one other head I can't remember. Trocar shot the best for me by far. They are 1 and done head for me though. I shoot one through and animal it gets moved to the practice head pile. They are cheap enough, and I primarily practice with broad heads so I go through them.

I have shot them for 4 seasons and 7 deer.

They fly fine with me. I tried them against 2 other broad heads when I was picking one and they flew the best. I admit they can be damaged. I shoot a fast bow at about 300 FPS and a fairly heavy arrow at about 450 grains finished weight.

I usually get pass throughs and end up with blades bent or dulled or worse in the dirt, rocks, log on the other side. I generally consider them one and done for that reason. They are priced at a point that makes me reasonably comfortable with that.

I think they are a good broad head considering the price. There are better out there but you pay more.

I agree with the need to shoot your hunting set up before you hit the woods.