NEW! Premium adjustable sight @ S&S Archery! The Black Gold PRO

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
New for 2019 Black Gold is announcing their newest flagship adjustable sight.

The Black Gold PRO

• NEW! Tapered Pro Pins with click micro adjust .019 <---these pins are amazing!
  • NEW! Wing Truss ultralight base (aluminum dovetail, as light as carbon!)
  • NEW! Individual and gang pin adjustments <---- Brand New tech! Adjust 1 or all pins with click micro wheel
  • Legendary "Dial of Death" adjustment system
  • Full click micro adjustment-gang windage and elevation.
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis adjustment, 1st and 3rd micro adjust
  • weighs only 11.7 oz

Get your pre-order in now! Ships November 1st!

_10A0022.jpg
pro sight pins.jpg

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Love that pin taper and ability to micro adjust individual pins.

I have ran BG for three years now and love the three pin setup.

Recently been looking at the Spot Hogg fast Eddie double pin.

How much weight am I shedding with this new BG wing truss?

Thoughts on differences between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure on the weight differences, the whole sight now weighs under 12 oz, even with the heavier housing.

As far as comparing to the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie, on paper it looks to be more adjustable and much lighter weight. I have not seen the pins in person, and I think thats whats going to make or break the sight. If the new tapered pins on the Black Gold are still as bright and durable as they have been in the past, this sight is going to be tough to beat.

JDZ

WKR
I'm digging what I'm seeing.

Will it eventually be available with .010 pins?

Is the individual and all pin micro adjust new tech to the industry, or just new tech to Black Gold? Cough, cough, don't wanna say anther manufacturer's name, cough, cough.

Please compare differences to the Pure 75.

I am dumb I guess, only pic I'd seen was on facebook, didn't bother to expand the attached pic. I officially recanting my last post, like the looks of the tapered pins!

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Got my sight in the mail last night....

First impressions are all positive. Microtune is easy to use and all adjustments very clean/precise. All parts well machined and of the high quality I would expect from a sight at this price point.

Went with 6” light weight truss...Very happy to get my sight a little further out without a weight penalty. While I haven’t put it n scale vs. my current Ascent, I think it is less.

The tapered pins are great. At first glance they didn’t look like they would be what I expected. However, out at full extension the pins look to almost be floating. Very, very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Intrested....need to put my hands on one ro see if it's worth an upgrade. All my MBGs are 2018 models...

Moneyball

WKR
Got my Black Gold Pro in a week or so ago from Rob at S&S. I shot him a few emails and he was always pretty quick to respond. I decided to make the jump and go for a non-custom 3 pin with dovetail. The days getting dark earlier have not given me as many opportunities to shoot as I would like, but I have had it enough for a good start.

This is my first Black Gold sight, and I am coming off of a custom 3 pin MRT Hogg Father also from S&S. So take it for what it's worth as my .02...

Initial impressions are that this sight is built very well, and for the price I fully expect it to be. I was not sure on how I would feel about the tapered pins, they are definitely thinner, but I did not get a feeling of "I'm never going back to regular pins again." They are nice, but not an absolute must-have. This thing is LIGHT. The first time I set up the sight and came to full draw, the difference in this sight and my HF felt like I had half of a beer sitting on top of my sight housing, and someone took it off. If that makes sense...It is a lot lighter than what I am used to, in a good way. Just as an add, I am not down on Spot Hogg at all, they make an incredible, durable, tank of a sight as well. If you are in the market for either of these sights you really cant go wrong either way.

I really like the way it mounts to the riser. The knob that secures the sight to the riser is just big enough, and it does not protrude from the side of the riser very much. I feel that it is a happy medium. I like it.

No issues at all mounting my tightspot. It is a pretty smooth transition from the mount to the knob, to the TS bracket. The TS can still be adjusted as needed without much issue that I have seen for what I prefer.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis were all pretty straight forward. Read the instructions, and was able to get all three taken care of in a short amount of time. They are similar to most sights with a lock screw and adjustment screw. Unlock, adjust, relock, done. The micro adjustable pins may take a little getting used to, but once you got it, you got it (get your Allen keys ready). The pins are BRIGHT. The housing does a great job as advertised with the photochromatic shell automatically adjusting pin brightness from mid-day to early mornings and late evenings. This is my first sight with this shell, it is ingeniously simple, which is great. One less thing for me to fiddle with.

One of the first attributes that I noticed when I opened the sight packaging and started playing with the sight is the stiffness of the distance adjustment wheel. I think this is called the "dial of death" or something along those lines. The knob sticks out from the side of the sight just enough to get a good grip on it, but it does not protrude far enough to be in the way. Again, a happy medium. The wheel tension may be adjustable, I'm not sure, but I havent seen any need to adjust it so I have left it alone. No more turning the wheel with just the tip of your pointer and thumb(you probably wont be able to), and if you grab it with your entire hand like a mini door knob, it doesnt cover up your sight tape like on other sights where your tape and wheel are essentially the same component. This thing is stiff in a good way. I can shoot multiple shots at a set distance and never have to lock down the slider, which brings me to my next point.

The slider lock is my only gripe. It is in a goofy spot on the bow side of the housing/sight, and its pretty small. If you want to lock the sight in, you have to adjust the dial to the desired distance, then twist your bow around to get to it, or manipulate your release hand in a way that isnt really natural, or switch hands to lock it down. There may be a better way, I just have not really figured it out yet. However, with how secure the sight feels "unlocked" I really dont see myself ever really locking it down anyway. I have shot it as much as possible in the past couple days and have yet to lock it down, when I set it on a desired distance it stays there.

Overall, the folks over at Black Gold have done a great job on this one. It seems as if they set out to build the ultimate hunting sight. In my opinion, they have done a really fine job. I can envision this sight fitting into any hunting style. After my first week or so with this sight I have been happy with it. I cannot speak to long term durability, time will tell, but I am not too worried about it considering the Black Gold warranty.

I may give a follow up post-season for those interested.

As of right now, I am expecting to have this sight attached to my bow come next September.