Hoyt RX3 Overview

OR Archer

WKR
Had a little time this morning to play around with the new RX3 a bit more. Not going to do an opinion based review. Ill try and just stick to the numbers etc as much as possible.

So just to do a quick run down on specs. These are taken off of a #3 cam
Axle to Axle = 30.75"
Brace = 6.5"
Weight = 4lb 4oz bare ( advertised at 3.9 but with the dampers and other accessories it pushes it to a little over 4#)
IBO = 342fps

So first Ill go over some of the newer features versus last years RX1.
1. So the first is the new integrated sight mounting bracket. Its no longer just bolted through the riser but actually built into it now. This will add some rigidity to the riser which helps with the vibration.
2. New limb pocket. They changed the rockers on these. The limb width hasn't changed from top to bottom. They're still offset in size. They went back to a more traditional Hoyt rocker which I prefer.
3. New string damper. The little donuts they are using do work well. However they can cause some peep rotation so I would advise removing the upper and moving it to your control cable. Also the string stop material has changed. Its a softer material and I think this absorbs the shock better. Longevity is to be determined.
4. New yoke splitter for the lower buss cable. They went away from the aluminum barrel and switched to a polymer material.
5. New riser design. This isn't a huge change here but they split tubing at the limb pocket. This will add a little more rigidity to the riser.
6. Adjustable grip. You can change the center line of the grip by adjusting the underlying plate. I didn't see any difference in tuning by shifting the grip left or right. I haven't seen how this will affect accuracy yet. Ill have to do a little more experimenting there.

I chronographed a few different weight arrows today. I did these at 30" draw and 70#. Its hitting its advertised speeds. Take into account I had a peep, loop, and one of the new string dampers on the bow.
Arrow 1 was a 358gr. Speed was 329FPS
Arrow 2 was 420gr. Speed was 314FPS
Arrow 3 was 503gr. Speed was 285FPS

Tunability is pretty straight forward for a Hoyt. Dead even cam timing and a level nock. A little yoke tuning and you're good. Pretty simple.

There's a definite reduction in noise and vibration on the RX3 from the RX1. That was a big complaint with the RX1 and I think they did a great job of addressing these issues. Compared to other true carbons bows on the market it's really significant difference.

All together I think this bow is a good improvement on an already great platform.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Chronograph readings.

Attachments

• 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 314.jpg
    314.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 285.jpg
    285.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 109
OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
New yoke and string damper

Attachments

• string damper 2.jpg
    string damper 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 147
  • yoke.jpg
    yoke.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 143
OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
New sight mount, grip plate, and limb rockers.

Attachments

• sight mount.jpg
    sight mount.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Grip.jpg
    Grip.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 156
  • limb rockers.jpg
    limb rockers.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 151

Logan T

WKR
I know you said no opinions..... but how’s that valley and back wall compared to the RX-1s? Similar I assume? Interested to see if the turbo is similar to the rx-1 turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Valley and back wall are the same in my opinion. The transition into it is a little smoother.
Haven’t received a Turbo yet to compare but will as soon as I have it.

I felt the AL barrel for the bottom yoke last year was a pretty poor design. Any word on if a dealer can order the new polymer yoke splitter and put it on an
RX -1?

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I felt the AL barrel for the bottom yoke last year was a pretty poor design. Any word on if a dealer can order the new polymer yoke splitter and put it on an
RX -1?
Talked to my guy at Hoyt. Not interchangeable

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
That's unfortunate and an instructed response. No different than a custom bow such as a standard riser and limbs but with turbo cams.

I'd wager they are interchangeable, but marketing says the vice...

Im sure you could use the piece however you would probably have to play around with buss cable length. The yoke length is the same from the RX1 to the Rx3 so it'd just have to be the main body of the buss that'd need to be altered to make it work.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I’m kind of irritated that the RX1 is available in a 31” draw length (#4 cam) but the RX3 only goes to 30” draw length. Looks like I’d have to get the RX3 Ultra if I want the 31” draw length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBivens

FNG
Thanks for the review. Interested on your thoughts on the Turbo once you get it in your hands.

Kay9Cop

FNG
Shot the RX3 and the Ultra back to back and back and forth several times today. I thought both were very smooth, but the transition into the valley was just a hair bit smoother on the Ultra. I also noticed the Ultra balanced just a little bit better front to back, but that was with no accessories and can easily be adjusted for. The differences weren’t enough for me to pick it over the RX3 and I came home with a new RX3 in Sitka Elevated 2.

ontarget7

WKR
Nice to see Hoyt nailing this one.
Really like what they did with the RX3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk