How do I get high arrow weight with short arrows?

Firehawk

WKR
Hey guys!

I have a short draw length at 27-27.5" depending on the bow and my arrows are cut to 26 3/4" carbon to carbon. I have shot FMJs and I have shot Axis, Carbon Injexion and now the Victory RIP TKO. With combinations of components, I typically end up around 420-445 grains.

Any ideas of how I could get my arrows closer to 500 grains and still be a 330-350 spine at my short draw length?

My current arrow is the Victory RIP TKO, stainless steel in/outsert (60 grains), 100 grain heads, 5" blazer wrap and three Heat vanes. I weigh in right at 421 grains. It is very accurate, but I keep internet/you tubing/ podcasting and I am buying into the movement of heavier arrows, deeper penetration, better KE etc. With a slider sight, the extra weight isn't near as big of a deal and it seems that a quieter bow won't be a bad result either.

Any thoughts?

With the Carbon Injexions, I did try putting two inserts in and that got the weight up to 441, but that still isn't awesome as there weren't a lot of options on broadheads in 125 grain etc.

FH

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Day Six Arrows. They are new to the market, but so far only rave reviews that I have seen. Aron Snyder, Frank Peralta, and the Born and Raised crew all used them this season with only positive reports. They are a small diameter arrow with thicker carbon, so you get a high gpi as well as a lot of durability. They could help you get where you want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
You're not going to hit that 500gr mark or even get close to it if your stuck on using a 340ish spine shaft and cutting your arrows so short. You're going to have to bump up to a heavier spine to get the GPI you'll need to get the weight up even if you're using an outsert system.

I have the same draw length and arrow length. I use a .330 or .300 spine arrow with a 75 gr Brass Insert and 125 gr arrows to get me to 450 grains. When I want more I go with a heavier Broadhead, like a 150, 175, or 200. I really don’t like a heavy shaft cause I don’t want to sacrifice FOC. So I use an Easton Hexx or a Mammoth Hot FOC King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lots of options........cut your arrows longer, use a stiffer spine which will have a higher GPI, use heavier inserts, use heavier BH's. Or you could use a combination of all of those things. An Axis 340 even cut to 29" with 75gr HIT's and 125 grain BH's should get you real close to 500gr depending on your fletching choice. A .300 spine cut to your current specs would be super stiff at your draw length, but could probably also work. My Axis 300's cut to 30" with regular 16gr HIT's and 125's come in right at 495gr.

Lawnboi

WKR
I also have short arms. Thus short arrows.

Last couple years iv been running carbon injexion 330s with 2 inserts up front, wraps, 3 aae stealth vanes. 447 grains each. 26in carbon to carbon

I’m moving away from deep six to get more weight and head options. I also want to bump up to 475-500 depending on how much I’m losing doing so.

My plan is to go back to axis and brass inserts. Heavier head, and I should be closer

Just going stiffer or making your arrow longer is not for me, if it comes to that I’m dealing with 475 or whatever I can get

Really like the carbon injexions for their beefy, heavy shaft weight, don’t like deep six, and I don’t want to play the outsert game again.

Last edited:
OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
You are right where I am with those Deep Six arrows. Loved the way they flew, but really struggled finding the heads I wanted to shoot in Deep Six. That said, I could go back if needed.

But I agree, shooting a 70# bow at 27.5" draw length doesn't yield itself to shooting 29" arrows or 300 spine arrows. I suppose if I loaded it up with tons of weight up front I could go a stiffer spine and get away with it, but I am not an extreme FOC guy. I just want "some" good FOC whatever that means, but I am buying into the Aron Snyder school of thought, but I just don't have the advantage of length others do.

FH

amp713

WKR
Up your spine and add weight up front... if you are using 100gr broadhead jump up at least to the next spine and run a 200 gr broadhead. You will be 550 pretty quick.

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
Check out Day Six Arrows. They are new to the market, but so far only rave reviews that I have seen. Aron Snyder, Frank Peralta, and the Born and Raised crew all used them this season with only positive reports. They are a small diameter arrow with thicker carbon, so you get a high gpi as well as a lot of durability. They could help you get where you want.

I had totally forgotten about the Day Six arrows. They make a lot of sense with the 100 grain insert/outsert or stainless/center pin option. Based on a 27" arrow length, I should be able to get 275 grains in arrow itself, 100 grain insert, 100 grain broadhead, vanes, wrap and nock it would be just over 500 grains.

Am I on the right track?

FH

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I had totally forgotten about the Day Six arrows. They make a lot of sense with the 100 grain insert/outsert or stainless/center pin option. Based on a 27" arrow length, I should be able to get 275 grains in arrow itself, 100 grain insert, 100 grain broadhead, vanes, wrap and nock it would be just over 500 grains.

Am I on the right track?

FH
I think so. Most arrow companies are happy to help you figure things out if you give them a call. Try reaching out to the Day Six folks and see what kind of tips or ideas they have. A lot of those folks have worked with many people of many different sizes and can get you started on the right track with just a few minutes on the phone.

Yep increase arrow length and spine
Then load the front
4 fletch the rear with wrap

Most important
Test arrow grouping when done

Does no good to go heavy or light and not group

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Just run stiffer arrows. They'll shoot fine. Or, just lengthen arrow and add weight up front to weaken as noted above.

My 26.5" carbon to carbon Axis 300 weigh 520 grains with a 125 grain head and 50 grain brass insert. Go to a 75 grain brass and you've got even more.

MattB

WKR
Trying to get weight up and sticking w. 100 gr. heads is rather limiting. IMO it is better to put the weight in the BH than in inserts as it generally adds durability. Buying the next stiffer shaft weight and adding point and insert weight should get you close to your goal.

All that said, my sense is you won't see much difference practical between 425 grs and 500 grs. in the field, so I personally wouldn't spend a bunch of money chasing what is likely a marginal gain.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Weed eater line is cheap and wont affect the spine of your current arrows.
Depending on line dia, you might be able to get to sections in the shaft for even more weight.
I experimented with my CX Reds to get right around 280fps which ended up weighing about 510gr if i remember correctly.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I helped a bowhunter boost his arrow weight when I built his setup for American bison. Brass inserts, Weed eater line and heavier broadheads and I got him to 700 grains (The same weight I use for my big game arrows.)

Archery Bison Blog | Ron's outdoor blog.

also look to ethics archery for front of arrow components to boost weight.

Read1t48

WKR
Fantastic work, Ron. Excellent post. You really helped that hunter by preparing a great arrow.
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

FlyGuy

WKR
Give Brent at Valkyrie a call. I know you said you are not big on FOC, but I wouldn't rule it out either. He can get you a set up at 500 or much more and dialed in with a test kit. It's pretty cheap for the kit and you aren't in deep if you don't like them. (But I bet you will be impressed) I finally took the plunge last summer and so glad I did. Very happy with my system now.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk