First bow for a mountain hunter.

Hey guys,
I'm making the leap into archery for extended seasons and more draw opportunity for sheep and mountain goats in Alaska.
First step is to choose a bow and I am liking the Mathews Triax for a small and capable bow. I dont mind paying for the best, however I am also looking at the new Mission MXR as well. I would set either bow up with the same sight, rest etc. The Mission is a 30"ATA and not quite as fast, but its 1/2 lb lighter! I spend a lot to reduce that much weight for my rifle or other aspects of my gear. Does anyone have any comments on the benefits or drawbacks of going with either one of these bows?
Thanks and I look forward to learning from everyone. By the way, I am a 26.5" draw and plan on 50-60lb limbs.

OR Archer

WKR
The Triax is hands down the better of the two bows. Tunes better. Smoother draw. Quieter. And faster. Yes the weight sucks but that’s minimal.
Check out the new Vertix as well. It may be heavier but I think it balances better so it doesn’t feel as heavy as it’s listed weight. Plus the mod change for your peak weight change is super versatile.
Now if you’re serious about weight savings the PSE Carbon Stealth is in a class it’s own. Not to mention it tunes well and has great performance.

frankrb3

WKR
I really like my triax and it was a fine bow to hunt with in the mountains of Montana this fall. It is kind of chunky but that was irrelevant when it was strapped to my stone glacier for hiking in and out or in my hand when stalking elk. I would rather carry an extra half pound of Mathews than that mission box, especially on the high stakes hunts you will be taking it on.

Last edited:
They get a bad rap because they sold in department and box stores a lot of years, but the 2019 Bear Divergent is a nice little bow. 28" ATA, 3.9lbs, 338fps, 6.5" brace height, 25.5-30" draw length adjustment, $699 msrp. I can't hunt right now for health reasons but I ordered one to have when I can shoot (I paid $649 from a vendor on Archerytalk). I have owned all the brands in the last 30 years and I am not brand loyal to any of them. I shoot a bunch of bows when I am bow shopping and buy the one that picks me so to speak.

dkime

WKR
The only advice I would offer is to shoot them a considerable amount before buying, and if you do decide you're unhappy with one that you do buy reselling them isn't as bad as it seems. Both of those bows offer a fairly steep string angle if your draw length runs on the long side. I personally haven't shot a bow less than 33" ATA in years BUT having said that the Vectrix has me seriously interested in moving toward one. If weight is a concern, I would look to the carbon bows as others have alluded. The last short bow I owned was a carbon spyder a few years ago and while the riser was light, anything I added to it for an accessory really felt like it had an impact on balance. This is all subjective, go shoot them, shoot them some more, shoot them beside each other, take a break, shoot again, figure out what you like and don't like and build confidence. At the end of the day the mfg, name of the bow, ATA, etc are irrelevant to how many trophy pics and meals you can provide.

If you can find one, try out an older Z7 extreme or Helium. Short but very serviceable. Also, if you are over a 28” I would be hesitant with a bow that short. The sting angles are tough for longer draws. However, out of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Triax.

I have a halon and wouldn't hesitate to take it out west. It's a 2016 model that I got used last year so it only ran me 550.

I agree with dkime when he says shoot them first. I shot 14 different bows before I narrowed it down to a hoyt carbon spyder, defiant (both carbon and aluminum), and elite impulse. They all feel different in the hand and when shot and everyone else's opinion really doesnt matter.

In the end the halon was my favorite and also happened to be the least expensive. I love it even if it is a ton of bricks

I moved away from short axle to axle bows for spot and stalk western/northern hunting. Using a 35" A-A bow now (Prime) and find I shoot it better in the field at game than the 30" and 32" bows I owned previously (Mathews and Hoyt). Good luck in your bowhunting endeavors!

Sodbuster

WKR
Blockcaver

I moved away from short axle to axle bows for spot and stalk western/northern hunting. Using a 35" A-A bow now (Prime) and find I shoot it better in the field at game than the 30" and 32" bows I owned previously (Mathews and Hoyt). Good luck in your bowhunting endeavors!

This.^^^^^ Every archery hunter I met last month in Wyoming used a long axle to axle bow.

Everyone sleeps on PSE when it comes to western hunting and that is one thing that i disagree on. I would look into pse,i have drive Lt 70lb and that thing shoots and tunes like a dream and packs some heat down range.....

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Sodbuster

WKR
Bigfootcali
Everyone sleeps on PSE when it comes to western hunting and that is one thing that i disagree on. I would look into pse,i have drive Lt 70lb and that thing shoots and tunes like a dream and packs some heat down range.....

Yep, I hunt with a tricked out Carbon Matrix now but switching over to a PSE Carbon Stealth 35.

I have been bowhunting since the 80's and I like short bows these days. I shoot them just fine out to 50-60 yards practicing. I know many don't, but we all like different things in archery.

Apapro

FNG
Have you checked out APA yet???

Mamba 28 XR – APA Archery

Had this bow as a prototype for the past 2 years and I can tell you this is a sweet mountain back country bow. I posted a question on here awhile back asking what guys take to the mountains and backcountry for archery equipment.......

I can tell you this......this bow with 5 arrow quiver, rest, fixed sights, d-loop, peep sight, small stab, and 5 arrows with broad heads weighs under 5 lbs. and i'm consistantly able to shoot under 4" groups at 80 yards with it. Makes for a super light bow for the high country. Let alone all the extra features that the bow has like being able to tune the cams, change peep, change string or cables if need be with out a bow press!!! Now wouldn't that come in handy 20 miles from nowhere when your in pinch!!!

My specs are 75 lbs - with 419 gr arrow at 340 fps. Makes quick work on elk!! Shot a cow this year at 26 yards and found the arrow 10 yards behind where she stood and hurried 2/3 into the ground!!!

Also many other features to aid in the hunt....have a look

Gumbo

WKR
I've shot a Blowtech Reign 7 for the last two years and like it a lot more than the Centergy Hybrid, Carbon Defiant, and Double XL that I've bought since. I sold the others and stuck with the Blowtech. I will be looking at a Realm X or one of their as-of-yet unreleased 2019 models for next year. The Bowtechs I've shot tune great and are very forgiving, hence they shoot great with fixed blades at long distance. As for carbon bows, I don't want a light bow because they don't hold as steady in the wind for me, which is a significant consideration out west. Just get a Montana Bow Sling and the weight won't even matter.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That Mamba 28 XR does look interesting! I will look into it a bit. I came across a Gearhead Archery T20 in my local pro shop and very much considering it.

For reference purposes, my 2019 Bear Divergent arrived today. 28" ata, 3.9lbs, 45-60 (they also have 55-70), and I chose Veil Stoke camo. I have read Veil helped First Lite design Fusion and I can see a slight resemblance in the patterns. I cannot shoot anytime soon (cancer sucks) but I am excited to have a bow on the rack. After shooting archery since 1983 I felt less than whole without a hunting bow on the rack :) .

40fKiYP.jpg

fTcPccY.jpg

RKDeMDu.jpg

Sodbuster

WKR
Gumbo
As for carbon bows, I don't want a light bow because they don't hold as steady in the wind for me, which is a significant consideration out west.

Agreed, steady in the wind is important. I have found that after I bolt on my bulletproof accessories, my carbon bow's weight starts to add up.

Kinda like trimming the straps on a Kifaru pack.

OFFHNTN

WKR

Agree 110%.
I shoot at least 34" bows. I don't like the harsh string angle of a 30 or 32" bow and I don't feel like I shoot them as well as a 34" But that is ME, to each their own.