First bow for a mountain hunter.

Bow Madness Unleashed | PSE Archery everybody is caught up on the cool kid product's and sleep on bows that perform and will surprise you. Think about this not every situation or every spot you hunt up in moutains is going to be open like most think,especially ca,or,wa lot's of dense forest there. I have a pse drive Lt not short axle to axle but not super long either and the thing tunes and shoots very good and packs some heat down range,the bow is quite aswell. I have had this bow since 2015 and i love it and if and when i decide to get a new bow it will be a bowmadness.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

26.5" draw, 50-60lbs..... with your draw length don't get caught up in the talk about a longer axle to axle bow for "out west" hunting. To maximize speed/KE/momentum(killing power) Look into bows that are designed for maximum performance from short draw archers and see which one fits your other requirements. If I were you, I would be looking hard at the Mathews tx-5 and Mathews Stoke.

26.5" draw, 50-60lbs..... with your draw length don't get caught up in the talk about a longer axle to axle bow for "out west" hunting. To maximize speed/KE/momentum(killing power) Look into bows that are designed for maximum performance from short draw archers and see which one fits your other requirements. If I were you, I would be looking hard at the Mathews tx-5 and Mathews Stoke.
You have a valid point and bring some good info here. I think alot of people are caught up on these longer axle to axle these certain company's due to the hype on social media,but sleep on brands like Matthews,pse that bring some excellent things to the moutain hunting realm.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

YBPS

WKR
Light weight stuff breaks...I like a 34-35" bow and the weight that comes with. Same with a riffle. Everyone wants a nice light weight gun until it's time to take shot....

Light weight stuff breaks...I like a 34-35" bow and the weight that comes with. Same with a riffle. Everyone wants a nice light weight gun until it's time to take shot....
I think you are mistaken with shorter bows when it comes to weight and durability i have a shorter axel to axel pse and it's been nothing but durable amd second the notion that light weight stuff breaks is matter of opinion vs reality. I would compare those longer bows to shorter ones in the weight and there really is not much of a difference.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I think your best bet is to get to a local pro shop if you have one and shoot both side by side. At the end of the day all specs/speed/opinions matter not if you don't personally like the bow. The new vertix has a lot of the benefits of the triax people like with some new options for the mountain hunter in my opinion (80% letoff for CO, 75#'s if you want to pull that, a tad longer than the triax) But I still think you should shoot all the ones you are considering back to back and make that your driving force.

Kay9Cop

FNG
Head to Screaming Eagle or Full Curl Archery and try a few out. Both places have good customer service, but I prefer Screaming Eagle in Wasilla. They’ll steer you in the right direction.

In my opinion. If you are trying to save weight and are a new shooter, you wont be able to shoot as accurate as the Mission can perform. (If that makes sense) You cant go wrong with either bow, don't be scared of the price tag on the Mission.

Beendare

WKR
Head to Screaming Eagle or Full Curl Archery and try a few out. Both places have good customer service, but I prefer Screaming Eagle in Wasilla. They’ll steer you in the right direction.

Good advice^...especially for your first bow.

Guys trying to help you on the internet is fine...but having a good shop that will help you get setup right is golden. How do you know the guys chiming in can even shoot? Or that their Draw length is perfect? Heck, most bowhunters don't even BH tune.

A good shop will get you the right gear...AND ALSO get you started shooting the right way.

kda082

WKR
I like the shorter ATA in tight cover. Also good in trees and I don’t have to trim as much, can leave more cover. No noticeable difference in accuracy out to 70-80 yards for me. Im 6’, shoot 29” draw. I wouldn’t hesitate to take one out west. A little longer stabilizer maybe for high winds, longer distance.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Headed over to Full Curl Archery today to set up my new Gearhead B20 bow. Copper John TST 5 Pin sight will be mounted inside of the double riser to maintain a super compact package. Will report back when I have a good feel for it.

Btaylor

WKR
That is not even remotely in the realm of what I thought you would choose for a first bow. Hope you enjoy it a lot.

The z7Extreme was a shooter. Wish I had kept mine. I too shoot a bit longer bow now. Prime Alloy that is about 4 years older now, but honestly shot the Mathews a tad bit better.

I would do the mathews over the mission, just from a pure quality perspective. I don't know if it was mentioned but Mission is Mathews introductory line. My wife has a mission and while it is a decent bow, the fit and finish is nowhere near any of my Mathews.