Bow string upgrade recommendations

DavePwns

WKR
My prime rival 35 bow is definitely due for some new string / cables. What string/cable companies or specific recommendations do you guys recommend for accuracy and durability? Is it worth it to go to a custom archery shop or just go to good ol bass pro for installation? Any input is welcomed as I have only heard of winners choice but would be curious as to what my fellow roksliders find to be their go to AND why.

I shoot at 28.5 inch at 68lbs, shooting a 490 g axis arrow if that makes any difference.

Jkling12

FNG
I would definitely not go to bass pro. Go to a pro shop for sure. Custom strings from a good company will benifit you in the long run. No stretch, better materials means less fuss when setting your peep and pins. Also if they use quality materials you will get better life out of them with less serving wear. I would recommend calling hillside archery in Roanoke Indiana and ordering a set or your local shop will be able to help.

Trial153

WKR
There is a boat load of good builders that can get a set made for you.
Here are guys I used and would use again and recommend.
Exwolvern( park and sons ).
Brethren ( John's custom archery)
Bow string depot( hutch)
Catfish customs
Bart shortall

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently using catfish they are high quality I'd buy from him again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
There is a boat load of good builders that can get a set made for you.
Here are guys I used and would use again and recommend.
Exwolvern( park and sons ).
Brethren ( John's custom archery)
Bow string depot( hutch)
Catfish customs
Bart shortall
Any pros / cons between these different recommendations?

Trial153

WKR
Any pros / cons between these different recommendations?
No. They all build you a quality string. You wait time might vary depending on who is busy and they might be using bcy vs brownell . They are good builders.
Pick who have some availability and is using the material you want.

Bowstringdepot.com, they’re running a door buster type sale Friday. Message me if you’d like discount codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used buckslayer and hog wire for my last two sets and they are both nice and correct.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing no one has mentioned, is that the builder is just one component. The material is as important as anything and probably the most important. There is a thread in the archery forum related to materials that I started early this year. The best string maker I. The world can’t build you a good strong with bad materials. I would look that thread up and figure out what may work best for you.

In short though BCY 452x is one of the top three materials for temperature and environmental stability.

Buckslayer for me. Great string and awesome customer service. Doesn’t Prime do lifetime stings?

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Buckslayer for me. Great string and awesome customer service. Doesn’t Prime do lifetime stings?
I bought my bow used for $400 on ebay a couple years ago and didn't have any of the original purchase info included. I thi k you have to be the original owner anyways

I have been using Bow String Depot for 5 years now, they are great folks to work with. There are so many good string builders out there though. I agree with the advice to avoid Bass Pro. I am sure a few have quality techs but many have...ah...not so great techs.

BCY 452x is one of the top three materials for temperature and environmental stability.

Bow String Depot has all the BCY standard material including 452X. I was using BCY X, but switched to Trophy X on my compounds. The exception is on my early 90s vintage bow, where BSD made my string using BCY B55. Worked better than my original strings 20+ years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Another option Dave is to build your own strings and cables.

Its easier than you think. You build yourself a string jig [best if its adjustable for different size bows in case you change]- there are lots of plans available on the different archery sites.

You wrap the string however many strands you want, serve each end then serve the center. It literally takes about 1/2 hr once you have done one. You can play with the strand count- less is a faster bow but a little more stretch....more strands and no creep.

The trick to these is getting the right pre tension before install. I use a 50# weight to hang from my string while I wax it heavily with a chunk of leather to rub that wax in hard....then twist to perfect length and install.

A roll of BCY-X or 452X lasts a long time and cost per string is very little. The only downside IMO is if you want different color strands in your strings....then the up front cost for rolls of the different colors is a bigger up front cost that will take a long time to recover.

EDIT; another tip, mark the roll with the string material as if you have different rolls, once you remove packaging some of them aren't labelled.

Last edited:
OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Another option Dave is to build your own strings and cables.

Its easier than you think. You build yourself a string jig [best if its adjustable for different size bows in case you change]- there are lots of plans available on the different archery sites.

You wrap the string however many strands you want, serve each end then serve the center. It literally takes about 1/2 hr once you have done one. You can play with the strand count- less is a faster bow but a little more stretch....more strands and no creep.

The trick to these is getting the right pre tension before install. I use a 50# weight to hang from my string while I wax it heavily with a chunk of leather to rub that wax in hard....then twist to perfect length and install.

A roll of BCY-X or 452X lasts a long time and cost per string is very little. The only downside IMO is if you want different color strands in your strings....then the up front cost for rolls of the different colors is a bigger up front cost that will take a long time to recover.

EDIT; another tip, mark the roll with the string material as if you have different rolls, once you remove packaging some of them aren't labelled.
Never thought of that! That's pretty hardcore, which I respect. I could pretty much care less about having different colors lol

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
ABB makes quality strings, but they don’t offer as many options on the end serving and center serving as others.

OR Archer

WKR
I use First String and highly recommend them. I’ve installed plenty of strings from various manufacturers. GAS, Jbk, hogwire, and ABB are all good. I wouldn’t recommend 60x, Vapor Trail, or winners choice for various reasons.

Catfish customs one my prime rival, good string. Just have to make sure the guy putting them on does it right. Two different shops told me they were the wrong strings because the installed the cables backwards.