Anyone hunt with a black bow?

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if it looks a lot dirtier than say a grey bow or a camo bow? I am probably going to buy the Mathews Vertix and the black looks sweet. I just don't want it looking filthy. Does it show scratches easily?

elkguide

WKR
Henry Ford got it right when he said,

"You can have any color that you want, as long as it is BLACK!!!!"

I have three bows right now and they are all dressed in my favorite camo color...….. black.
The last thing that I shot with one of my black bows was a turkey and the black camo seemed to fool him!

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just to be clear, I'm not concerned at all that an animal will see it. Just that I'll want to clean it more.

Yooper

WKR
Dust will definitely show up more on a black bow. Where we hunted in Wyoming it was brutally dry this fall. My black Hoyt showed it. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though. It made me pay more attention to my equipment and keep things cleaner than I would have if I had a camo bow that I didn't notice the dust on as much.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Dust will definitely show up more on a black bow. Where we hunted in Wyoming it was brutally dry this fall. My black Hoyt showed it. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though. It made me pay more attention to my equipment and keep things cleaner than I would have if I had a camo bow that I didn't notice the dust on as much.

This is my experience as well. But it's a hunting bow and not a beauty pageant so dust doesn't bother me.

WJS23

WKR
The only time I have had an issue with black bows was will all 4 of the carbon hoyts I had you could see the white carbon underneath when it chipped

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have used the blacked out bows and other solid colors in the past. I am thinking about going back to them in 2019.
You might see dust easier on black but I wouldn't worry about it.

OR Archer

WKR
Nothing an air compressor and a soft clothe can’t take care of quickly. If it’s not dirty you’re not hunting lol.

Trial153

WKR
I always like black or solid color risers and then a camo solid limb. With split limb bows and all the stupid logo and graphics you can barely see the camo anyway.
I been known to wipe graphics off as well as most are cheesy.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
My last 5 bows have been black or buckskin... haven't notice them being dirtier than my camo bows that I've had. I did have white strings on one that were brown by the time I sold it.

Gumbo

WKR
I always like black or solid color risers and then a camo solid limb. With split limb bows and all the stupid logo and graphics you can barely see the camo anyway.
I been known to wipe graphics off as well as most are cheesy.

What do you use to remove the graphics, acetone?

Trial153

WKR
What do you use to remove the graphics, acetone?
Yea or even non acetone nail polish remover works but not as easy.

The internet police will say acetone will damage stuff.. I have wiped lots of limbs and arrow shafts with it. After I am done I clean it with a wet cloth. Never had an issue

Gumbo

WKR
Yea or even non acetone nail polish remover works but not as easy.

The internet police will say acetone will damage stuff.. I have wiped lots of limbs and arrow shafts with it. After I am done I clean it with a wet cloth. Never had an issue
Thanks, will it also remove the camo underneath?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Thanks, will it also remove the camo underneath?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have yet to have that happen. However I am not saying it can't. I am sure different companies apply it differently. Do a small test area in a discrete spot if your worried

I have hunted with a black bow for the last 3 years and no hunt with a snow camo bow. Never had a problem. The way i see it is if they can pick you off cause of the bow color your moving too much and if they can tell the color of my bow its prolly too late and they are gonna have an arrow in the rib cage!

Last edited:
i have a couple black bows that go hunting a lot, a Hoyt carbon and a Mathews chill r, I don't find them to get dirty looking much worse than any camo bow I have. it's makes accessories easy to if you like matchy matchy stuff.