AAE vanes

J.G.

FNG
I'm going to start fletching my own arrows for the first time this winter and am deciding which vanes to use. For reference I shoot a hoyt rx-1 turbo 70#, 28" DL, arrow is a VAP TKO 27.5", 300 spine and iron will broadheads. I am shooting a 4 fletch with blazers now, but am getting some contact with them and wanted to shoot something lower profile. I was considering either the AAE hybrid vanes, but not sure which size to get. I like the look of the 2.0 or 23, but am slightly concerned about the surface area for broadheads. ANyone have any experience with these?
Thanks,
Jim

Trial153

WKR
You might get away with a .38 height vane in four fletch.
I shot the .5 with fixed heads, soilds and ironwills with good results in 3 fletch

OR Archer

WKR
I’d address your contact issues first. With Blazers and a quality fall away you shouldn’t get contact even with a 4 fletch. So something is off in your tune.

The 26 or 40 should be plenty to steer an IW. Especially in a 4 fletch.

mtbshark

WKR
These steer my arrows perfectly. I have tried a handful of different heads and all hit where the drivers skills put em!
I went from 4 fletch flex fletch sk200 to these and and glad to have made the change

d0235339119a24544bd71f0b9ce60770.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
I’d address your contact issues first. With Blazers and a quality fall away you shouldn’t get contact even with a 4 fletch. So something is off in your tune.

I second this. You should not be getting contact if tuned properly. Search for the threads focused on the issue of vane contact and work your way from there.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to read the description on these, maybe they will actually stick to shafts unlike the Max?

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the AAE vanes but have had good luck with the q2i fusion x-ii 2.1" in four fletch. Just ordered the same vane in 1.75" (0.4" height). Will four fletch these as well and see how they shoot.

Jkling12

FNG
I've been running bohning x vanes 1.75 in a 4 fletch on goldtip velocity 300 with 175gr point weight and they Steer big fixed blades great. Lately I've been shooting drt broadheads without issue. You can get away with small vanes and fixed blades with a four fletch and tuned bow.

Btaylor

WKR
I am really liking the AAE hybrid that is the same profile as the blazers. Put 'em on this gorilla glue and they are holding just fine. 1 has been through an elk and 2 whitetails, just wash, rinse, repeat.

Gumbo

WKR
They don't stick unless you use their glue and primer pen.

Dealbreaker for me. I bought some AAE Max Vanes to try and using the pen sucks (I used the Easton pen), near asphyxiation, it kept gushing out, and why buy that and add an extra step when plenty of vanes stick great without it? In fact, I think the stuff holds TOO well, scraping those off sucks and other vanes without the pen hold perfectly tight and don't rip off with target or animal pass-throughs. I will stick with Vanetec Vmax 2.0 4-fletch, but I do like the AAE Max bond glue without pen.

Trial153

WKR
Primer pen, max bond ...no problem all. And it work on any vane I have tried

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
They don't stick unless you use their glue and primer pen.

Even jumping through all of the hoops with these vanes (assuming you're referring to the Max with this comment) I am still experiencing a higher failure rate compared to the alternatives. Not bad enough to get rid of them mid-season (I'm hunting AZ next month) but I'm moving on come springtime.

mtbshark

WKR
The hybrid vanes can use any glue no primer. The max vanes require the primer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
I've had no issues with getting them to stick in the past with nonAAE glue, having said that I do some prep. I shot 3 fletch vanetec swift 2.25" vanes this year and the 3" AAE vanes, both would stabilize any broadhead I put in front of them. Not sure why you're having contact though, I'd address this first like others have said

Lawnboi

WKR
For what it’s worth I switched to the hybrid, stealth sized vane after using stealths this last year.

The hybrids are the exact same, but a little more flexible, lighter and much easier to apply.

I won’t be ordering anymore max stealths with these available

Trial153

WKR
For what it’s worth I switched to the hybrid, stealth sized vane after using stealths this last year.

The hybrids are the exact same, but a little more flexible, lighter and much easier to apply.

I won’t be ordering anymore max stealths with these available
That's good to know. I like the profile of the stealth and how they stablize large fixed blade heads. If the hybrid are easier to work with its something to consider

NYSKIER

WKR
You can use acetone on the max instead of the primer pen and just use the max bond glue and you are good to go. I also prime my shafts by going over them with a scruffy sponge with a little water and ajax on it then I acetone the vane wait 10 seconds add the glue and I'm good to go

Lawnboi

WKR
That's good to know. I like the profile of the stealth and how they stablize large fixed blade heads. If the hybrid are easier to work with its something to consider

I have seen no difference except the time it takes for me to get them on, and a little better adhesion. Have sent max stealth as well as the hybrid stealth through deer and same results. Not to mention the hybrids are lighter for you four fletch guys. I don’t see any reason to go back to the max version.

Hoh Down

FNG

This