Finger release to Thumb

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just looking for any tips or trick that you may have found helpful on the finger to thumb release transition. Im looking into going to a thumb release this winter and getting used to it. So if there was any tips or anything that would be awesome to hear it.

Thanks Again

Lawnboi

WKR
Blank bale shoot for a few days focusing on your anchor and release prior to shooting targets.

Don’t be afraid to adjust the thumb, there’s a reason there are so many shapes and sizes, fit is very important.

That said I can’t do the thumb thing, or atleast I haven’t shot a thumb that I really got along with yet

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Blank bale shoot for a few days focusing on your anchor and release prior to shooting targets.

Don’t be afraid to adjust the thumb, there’s a reason there are so many shapes and sizes, fit is very important.

That said I can’t do the thumb thing, or atleast I haven’t shot a thumb that I really got along with yet

Thanks Lawnboi, Im looking at shooting some Carters and seeing what I will like best and then try different companies from there.

Gumbo

WKR
I would definitely suggest one with a hole for your index, like a carter Wise Choice or Nock 2 It. The hole makes ranging and manipulating objects with the release in you hand far easier...and you are far less likely to have it fly out of your hand (trust me on that one). I also suggest one that has jaws that close completely instead of a hook so that you can hang it from your loop while in a stand or waiting on an animal, although I wouldn't recommend walking around with it on the loop unless you want to lose it.

RedRidge

WKR
JBiggs, I just switched over to a thumb release for the first time as well from triggers. I wish I would have done it sooner. I gave in and bought a Nock2It off of here actually and its been great. To be honest it has brought back the excitement of executing a perfect shot back. I have also noticed that my float has decreased since using a thumb release and concentrating on pulling through the shot until it breaks. I am still working with what feels comfortable, but I can tell you I am really enjoying it. As far as a tip I think just work on bigger spots and don't necessarily worry about center punching it, but just keep your pin in the area and focus on just pulling through until it breaks. Once your comfortable start making the target spot smaller and so on and so forth.

Brianb3

WKR
I got two Carter Wise Choices if your looking to try one. I’d sell one or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of followed John Dudley’s recommendation to train with a tension activated release first. This basically helps to train the proper technique, the. Move to the thumb or hinge. I chose the Stan Element, then the Stan SX3. Great decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
How big is the loop on the wise choice? can you shoot it with lighter weight gloves on?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!! I will look into everything you guys have mentioned.

Thanks Again!

Gumbo

WKR
How big is the loop on the wise choice? can you shoot it with lighter weight gloves on?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!! I will look into everything you guys have mentioned.

Thanks Again!

Mine is the Nock 2 It but I think it has the same size hole. You probably could wear a full lightweight glove, but I don't. I cut the thumb, first, and second fingers off of my right hand archery gloves. If it is cold I use a muff or wear a heavier mitten on top and pull it off.

If you really want to switch sell your wrist rockets and comment to the thumb or back tension. If you don’t sell em you’ll be to tempted to go back

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

- - - Updated - - -

If you really want to switch sell your wrist rockets and comment to the thumb or back tension. If you don’t sell em you’ll be to tempted to go back
I'm going to see how it feels before I sell. I might have to try a couple releases before i find one that I like. I dont want to sell my finger release just yet because Archery season is still open until the 31st.

I switched to thumb to gain an extra inch of draw (26-27").
Works great and the transition wasn't that big of a deal.
I took my old wrist strap with webbing and stiched a loop which holds my release right where I want it.
The wrist strap helps me draw and hold with less strain on my finger tendons.
I bought a Spott Hogg Whipper Snapper, FWIW.

HookUp

WKR
You can and will punch a thumb release as easy or easier than a wrist strap. A tension or hinge should be your primary training release. I hunt with a strap but its not my go to for practice.