school me on stabalizers

going to need (i think) a stabalizer...
just picked up a realm x, that i will be moving my mbg sight and QAD rest off of my circa 2010 diamond outlaw..
so now i need a quiver and stabalizer, as im selling the diamond to a buddy with the RAK sight/rest/quiver/ stabalizer.
anyways.. going with a tight spot quiver, but looking into stabalizers now..
is it mostly personal preference with regards to weight/balance?
i live and hunt out west, spot and stalk, tree stand, everything..so it seems like im looking for a pretty 'basic' all around stabalizer.

J8tnub

FNG
My groups shrunk significantly when I went from a short stabilizer to an 8” stabilizer. And even more when I went from 8” to 10”.

jmez

WKR
Very much personal preference. You really need to try several weight and length combinations to see which works best for you. When you get the right combo you will know immediately as your pin float will greatly decrease.

Rchr

FNG
Yup, stabilizers will help you out. Usually, not always but the longer the better, just look at all the tournament shooters, they use long stabilizers. For hunting you want something that is not so long that it is cumbersome or in the way but not to short so that it really isn't helping much. Talk to fellow archers in your area and if you feel confident enough to ask, ask them if you can try their stabilizer on your bow. As jmez ^ above said try several different combinations. Check to see how steady you feel and check the size of your groups.

bulzeye11

FNG
get as long as you feel comfortable packing around. i ran a 10 front and 8 back bar this year. thinking about running a 12 or 14 front bar next year.

I've had great luck with trying out people's gear at the local ranges and this has included stabs too. That's how I ended up with my current 8" b stinger. Also, if you have trouble with your site leveling out at full draw and don't want to run a rear stab too, consider getting an offset bracket. Go on ebay and search "stabilizer offset bracket" and check out the brackets by Davis Sights. I got one of those and it helped out with the bow leveling at full draw quite a bit.

If I shoot a hunting bow that I have to run 12-14" front bars plus a back bar just to stabilize it, I have zero interest in owning that bow. Target bows, sure. Hunting bows, no thanks. I am not taking 80-100 yards shots so maybe that's why. But at 20-50 yards shots I can stack arrows with shorter vibe reducing "stabilizers" so I have no need to make my hunting bow even heavier by running multiple long stabilizers. That's just me, you have to decide what setup is best for you.

Trial153

WKR
A stablizer first and foremost for me has to slow my pin float. Generally speaking I can only notice that when I run 10 inches more more out front. As far as balance goes...I won't own a bow that I HAVE to run back or side bars.
I may with a quiver sometimes run a counter slide...and in those cases I am looking looking at 12 to 14 total lenth and about a one to two ratio of front to side weight...generally an once up front and two on the side.
Its rare for me have a total weight of over 10 oz to 12 oz ... most time I at about 8to 10 total

There are too many good stablizer to even list them all..
My current favorite is bee stinger microhexx.

I usually go with the lightest sidebar made for 3D shooting that I can find, then add weight to the front end as necessary. Currently using a 10” on my Denali.

I use the 8-21" crossover stabilizer and really like it. Chose this size because it was about the same total weight of the original stabilizer that came with my hoyt. Used it to mess around with different weights, at different lengths, in different shooting positions/distances. Fully extended with 2oz on the end seem to be the sweet spot for me and my set up. I also enjoy this set up because because my bow will balance on my shoulders really well. Prevents me from ever having to set my bow down in the dirt and allows me to use both of my hands if needed when hiking.

Try the bow without a stabilizer, just the Tightspot quiver. I am happy with my groups and my taxidermist is as well! Good luck!

Gumbo

WKR
I run a 10" front and 8" rear with 3oz front and 7oz rear on a Bee Stinger Elite QD mount. Once I committed to a rear stabilizer I began to see far tighter groups, especially at distance, because I had less float of course, but also because I was engaging fewer muscles to level my bow. Once I got the front and rear weights balanced and the rear bar angle set my bow simply came to rest level without any effort. The other big plus is that it holds FAR steadier in the wind, which is a huge consideration for me as a open country western hunter. I also like that the rear stabilizer acts as a kickstand when I set my bow down, keeping the cams, rest, and sight out of the dirt. I tried 12" in front, but settled on 10" because 3oz on the 12 " bar was too much weight (pin dipping off the target) and the 12" bar didn't carry as comfortably, plus I like the extra oz for the wind. I also tried an offset mount, but because the weight of the rear stabilizer helped so much in the wind I committed to my current setup.

coyyota

WKR
I’ve not shot the RealmX but from what others are saying a pretty well balanced bow. May be worth shooting it a bit before picking a stab, you might find you don’t really need/want one. If you do start trying to find one start short and work out to longer. 10”+ may end up working best, but if shorter works that just less weight and stuff hanging off, especially if you’re in heavy timber or a tree stand much.

going to need (i think) a stabalizer...
just picked up a realm x, that i will be moving my mbg sight and QAD rest off of my circa 2010 diamond outlaw..
so now i need a quiver and stabalizer, as im selling the diamond to a buddy with the RAK sight/rest/quiver/ stabalizer.
anyways.. going with a tight spot quiver, but looking into stabalizers now..
is it mostly personal preference with regards to weight/balance?
i live and hunt out west, spot and stalk, tree stand, everything..so it seems like im looking for a pretty 'basic' all around stabalizer.

Hi there blackpoder, Im bumping this thread b/c I was curious as to what you ended up picking up on your Stab? Im looking here to see what info I can gather for what I should get. I'm looking at the Rugged Patriot 10" But was wondering what you guys/ gals have. I would like to find one for under $100 but not sure if thats even possible. Hey where in Wash? Im over near Hood River Or/ White Salmon Wash

Zac

WKR
For you guys that are running front and rear stabs how heavy is your setup?
I run a 15 inch up front with a 10 degree down QDC. I run a 12 inch off the back. Front weight is 2.5 oz, and I have 12 oz on the back.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
Are any of you guys are running the telescoping crossover stabilizer? That seems like a tidy way to package a longer stab.
I have been using the 821 for the last few seasons and really like it. When hunting I have one section extended so it is 12" long while hiking around or glassing and doesn't get in the way at all. When I'm going on a stalk I will extend it all the way out when I nock an arrow and it winds up being the same length as my arrow so in my opinion still isn't in the way because I have to worry about my arrow sticking out anyway. When fully out there is a significant decrease in my pin float. Also when it is fully compressed to 8" it fits in my bow case without having to take it off so that is nice.