How many arrows do you take on a hunt?

Beanyray

FNG
I've always carried 5, swapped broadheads and only 3 fit in my quiver. I will never do that again. I had a crazy elk hunt this fall where I shot all 3 arrows (killed the bull) but real wished I'd had another arrow. It may never happen again but it's in the back of my mind now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
I carry 4 arrows in the quiver with broadheads. Also carry one "just in case" field point IN my backpack if I ever want to check things out when I'm out in the field. (Have never used the field point.....yet. I look at the field point as a small "insurance" in the event the bow sight, peep, etc. were to ever get knocked around, dropped, fallen on, etc.). I also usually have another 8-12 arrows and a package or two of broadheads left back at the vehicle. No stump shooting, grouse, or small game for me while in the backcountry.

Kay9Cop

FNG
I have a Tight Spot 7 arrow quiver, so that's how many I bring for a day hunt.

Anything that's a fly out or I'm more than a day's drive from home I bring an extra 10 (what fits in my plastic arrow box with the other 7) for back up.

excaliber

WKR
I carry six in my quiver at all times and have several more in a case in the truck. I've never used more than two arrows on a hunt. If you take only high quality shots and know the distance I can't see using more than a couple arrows.

Beendare

WKR
New to bow hunting. When you go on a back country hunt, how many arrows do you take with you? If you take more than what fits in your quiver, how do you store/carry them in your pack?

One. What you aren't confident? /grin

Depends on the hunt. Are you going to Australia where you will be shooting the crap out of multiple species....or a whitetail hunt?

Are you in the mtns where grouse can be a welcome addition to the food pot?

I like to shoot while I'm on a hunt. I always shoot an arrow first thing in the AM....it not only dials you in...but also lets you know if there is an issue with your setup- pretty critical, IMO.

I don't like the trend of quivers going to less arrows. Personally I have a couple practice/grouse/coyote arrows in my quiver.....and like to have at least a few more for big game, YMMV.

RTR

FNG
I don't see any reason to take more than four broadheads on the actual hunt... but I keep another six or seven at the truck/camp. If it were a spike camp, I wouldn't think you'd need any more than maxing out your quiver. My quiver holds 5... if it were a 7-10 day hunt, I might consider packing a couple or few extras.

If you're shooting and missing (and losing) more than a half-dozen arrows, there could be something seriously wrong.

I carry 4 broadheads and 1 blunt. It almost cost me this year as I helped finish a bull with 2 arrows and it left me with only 2 for the rest of my hunt.

OP
R

RafterR

FNG
One. What you aren't confident? /grin

Depends on the hunt. Are you going to Australia where you will be shooting the crap out of multiple species....or a whitetail hunt?

Are you in the mtns where grouse can be a welcome addition to the food pot?

I like to shoot while I'm on a hunt. I always shoot an arrow first thing in the AM....it not only dials you in...but also lets you know if there is an issue with your setup- pretty critical, IMO.

I don't like the trend of quivers going to less arrows. Personally I have a couple practice/grouse/coyote arrows in my quiver.....and like to have at least a few more for big game, YMMV.

Haha I’m pretty confident but I know how Murphy’s law works too. So I figure better to take extra than not have enough. I have a 7 arrow tight spot quiver and was thinking 5 broadheads and 2 small game arrows. Take a couple extra broadheads and a couple field points so I can shoot to check things if needed. Just mainly trying to decide if I need to take the other 5 out of my dozen or not. Don’t really think I’ll need them but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
If I’m just going to the deer stand here around the house I’ve only got 3 in my quiver.

If I’m heading out on a 2 -3 week western hunt or out of country hunt then I take no less than a dozen arrows with broadheads, I’ll pack in the quiver what ever the quiver will hold usually 4-6 arrows on those hunts.

Beendare

WKR
Haha I’m pretty confident but I know how Murphy’s law works too. So I figure better to take extra than not have enough.

for sure.

I've been on Javalina hunts with my recurve where I was pulling arrows out of the ground to shoot again.......dang string jumpers.

Six total - 4 in my Quiver and another 2 in my pack. After reading the majority of the comments - I’ll probably add another 2 in my pack for next season.

marktole

WKR
Five in my tight spot. Anywhere from 6-12 more in the pickup with some broad heads, depending on what I have at the time.

This thread makes me nervous. I always felt that if I went into the woods/mountains/prairie with 5 arrows with broad heads on and I had opportunities to kill an animal and couldn't get it done with that, I needed to practice more before coming back. That being said, I have been down to one arrow in my quiver on two different mule deer in the last few years....it was full when I started...so I better keep practicing.

Great Question, I was actually thinking of the same question. I am going to take 4 arrows, 4 broadheads and leave the exact same in the truck.

Conbriden

FNG
I usually keep 3 with Broadhead a and 2 grouse arrows then another half dozen and a pack of Broadheads in the truck. I figure if I bring a dozen arrows up the mountain I’ll end up spending more time shooting critters than chasing elk

jaximus

FNG
over the years as my buddies have had me help refine their setups, ive converted them all to the same exact arrow. only 1 straggler left, so the other 6 all shoot an identical arrow, same length, everything but fletch color. we are lucky that are all basically the same size, so the DLs only vary by an 1" between us.

we all have 5 arrow quivers and load them, then i carry a tube with another dozen in the truck with spare heads. if stuff gets hairy, we can borrow arrows from each other while in the field... i can only think of one time we had to redistribute arrows while in the field after a quiver mishap (4 broken stepped on arrows) and having matching stuff worked out awesome

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I take a full quiver with me regardless of length of backpack trip. I have dozens more in the truck but if I run out of 5 while packed in, I probably need to burn off some steam and the hike to the truck will be good for me.
I am not shooting any small game or just any buck/bull though. I think the more focused you are on a particular critter or class of critter, the more selective you will be on shots.