Dropping draw length

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
I currently shoot a Halon 32 @ 31” which has almost felt a little long but that is what has always been set up for me. I’m 6’4 just for some reference.

I recently went to shoot some of the new bows and the new Prime CT5 really felt amazing, but it only goes to 30”. The guy at the shop said it didn’t look short and I do trust him for what it’s worth.

I’m just looking for some reasons why or why not to drop down. That’s always been something I’ve never really considered, maybe it’s a macho thing. I realize there’s a lot of factors but I’m just looking for opinions/experience.

I’m gonna shoot it a couple more times to see how it feels before I jump in to anything.

elkguide

WKR
Just because you are 6'4" doesn't mean that your T-Rex arms will let you shoot a long draw length. (Sorry. Couldn't help myself!)

Have you ever had someone that wasn't trying to sell you a bow, check you for draw length? Remember that all bow companies don't use the same rule when they set draw lengths. Shoot a bow and see just how comfortable you are with it. When I say shoot a bow, I mean from lots of different positions too.

When I first began shooting a compound bow, I went to a bow shop and they had "just the bow" for me. I am only 5'8" and the bow shop guy told me that I needed a 27.5" draw length bow, which the bow that he had there just happened to be?!?!? After a year of shooting it, I went to another shop and asked to shoot a couple of new bows set at 27.5" draw. The bow tuner there watched me shoot the first one and asked me why I was shooting at that length and I told him because I was told that was what I needed. He (a former Olympic shooter) watched me shoot again and took the bow from me and reset it and gave it back to me. WOW. It felt totally amazing. I shot it so much better. He reset the bow at 28.5" draw and for the last 20 years I've been so much happier and a much better shot. With one brand of a bow that I love the feel of, at it's so called 28.5" setting, I have to have a longer D-Loop to get the right feel and to be able to hit my anchor point correctly so.

Shoot the Prime. If it fits and you shoot it well...….
ENJOY your new bow!!!!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I measure out at a 31.5" draw but usually set mine up at 31". It helps a lot especially on steep uphill or downhill shots to keep from creeping on me. Much easier to hold anchor without worrying about the bow taking off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
you can shoot a "too short" draw length more accurate than one that is too long. The biggest factor to accuracy is a consistent anchor point not a slight change in the angle of elbow on bow arm. That being said a great bow shop will have you set up and shooting bullseye's.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
I am dropping draw length as well. I finally measured my draw length correctly (John Dudley's method, look it up). For the last 7 years I've been using a draw length that an archery shop told me to use. I can't believe I waited this long to check for myself.

Brendan

WKR
You can't tell what your draw length should be, without seeing form and where you draw to with different lengths.

Me personally - 5'11", with a straight bow arm and drawing the string to the tip of the nose, I'm around 29.25". I will shorten up sometimes to give a little more arm/sleeve clearance, especially for late season whitetail.

Check what Dudley looks like in this video, I don't so much pay attention to his shortcut, but how he looks at full draw and his advice on a "T" form...

Proper Draw Length with John Dudley