Bow Sling

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice or recommendations on a bow sling for hiking/backpack style hunting.

In between the Primos, Cabela’s, and Montana bow sling right now.

Thanks in advance!!

Gumbo

WKR
Montana bow sling is awesome, an absolute game changer. I like it way better than the ones you sling over your shoulder (Primos-style). I run mine on a Reckoning and swapped to open-ended female buckles so I could attach them directly to the middle top and left side top loops on the bag instead of weaving them through the shoulder straps. This also means I can unbuckle them and take them off easily to stuff in my pack. They do get twisted up when I put my pack on occasionally if I forget to position them properly. The way I have mine set up my bow rides comfortably at my left side with the string down and I gently hold my tightspot to keep it from bouncing and to lift it up over brush and grass. My bow slides off the hooks very quickly and the straps do not interfere with my shooting. I never realized how fatigued my arms became, and how significantly the fatigue affected my shooting until I started using the MT bow sling.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! So that brings me to my next question with the MT Bow Sling.

With your Reckoning ( have a DT1), do you use the grab it as well? Does it make sense to use both? I can see value in both for different spots, but if the sling is good for 99% of the time I may make a small change to how I use my pack

Gumbo

WKR
Thanks! So that brings me to my next question with the MT Bow Sling.

With your Reckoning ( have a DT1), do you use the grab it as well? Does it make sense to use both? I can see value in both for different spots, but if the sling is good for 99% of the time I may make a small change to how I use my pack

I have the grab it on my pack too, but unless I'm packing in or out (i.e. not hunting) I don't use it to hold my bow. But I always have the grab it on so that I can use it for my bow, especially if I end up hauling meat out too. And really, the grab it is so versatile and weighs next to nothing so why not leave it on? For $40 bucks or so the sling is totally worth it.

Are you set on a sling? That puts the weight on your shoulder. High Point makes a hip holder where you just pop it in and it rides on your hip belt. It's not hands free, you still need to guide it, but I've found it to be more comfortable and practical than a bow sling.

bat-cave

WKR
+ 1 for both the Montana Bow Sling and the Grab it. The Grab it is great when you have a lot of ground to cover and don't need to have quick access to your bow / pack outs etc ... I like to strap my bow to the pack in the early/late hours when you know you're not going to be shooting as it's more comfortable as the bow is completely out of your way and the weight just gets added to the weight of the pack on your hip bones. The Montana Bow sling is nice when you need to cover ground, but want to have quick access. For me it's easier than hanging the bow from your hip as I am more mobile moving over logs / through timber etc ... I've used various bow slings from Primos, Hawk and Hunters Specialties and of these, I like the super simple one from Hunters Specialties the best ... but the Montana Bow sling is the most comfortable of the ones that go over the shoulder (YMMV). The Hunters Specialties one is only ~$10 and adjustable enough that it works for kids up to adults and I usually keep one in the truck ... just in case (Awesome for things like the R100). One thing about the Montana Bow Sling is that if you don't remove the straps with the hooks when not carrying the bow or otherwise securely tuck them out of the way they have a magical ability to hook every tree branch you go even close to! :)

OFFHNTN

WKR
My two favorite have been the Tarantula and one made by Cabela's. Both are elastic and have cups at each end for your cams to go into. There are no buckles or buttons on it, you just slip it on and slip it off. Super quiet and fast.

Gumbo

WKR
One thing about the Montana Bow Sling is that if you don't remove the straps with the hooks when not carrying the bow or otherwise securely tuck them out of the way they have a magical ability to hook every tree branch you go even close to! :)

Yes, this is why I customized mine to attach to webbing loops on the top of my bag instead of running the sling straps through the shoulder strap tri-glides. By switching out the female portions of the buckles to Kifaru open-ended females I can quickly snap them off when not in use and stuff them in a pocket.

How much fun is it to walk with your bow hanging from your hip? I have the Primos one and it works fine at the times it is useful, mainly shorter hikes on easy terrain when I just have a hydration pack on or no pack at all. If I have a daypack on and hiking some distance on trail or road it will be set up to carry the bow on my back. If I'm heading into timber or thick shit the bow's in my hand because I'm probably looking to kill something. :)

What's the Grab it mentioned above?

After looking at it the Montana bow sling could be useful.

Last edited:

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used the solo hunter sling? I like the neoprene slip on/off aspect and that it covers the strings. Just curious on any personal experiences. Thanks

TBarron

WKR
I got an Kuiu SFS kit and braided up some paracord and looped it to each end. Works great and is crazy light. Plus I have extra cordage if tent lines break or secure anything to my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
How much fun is it to walk with your bow hanging from your hip?

I guess you would be surprised. It works really well.
I don't have the High Point holder that Don Perros mentioned but I do use a hip clip from Third Hand on my pack belt with the bow riding up under my armpit with quick and easy access for shooting. It works great for compound or recurve while hiking, glassing or pulling arrows at 3D. I don't want or need another strap around my neck or shoulder and my bow is never on my back (pack).
Just another option.

TJfromTX

FNG
I've had good luck with the Primos. It works for what I need it for, and didn't cost too much so if I leave it or lose it its not a big deal. Packs down pretty well too.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Montana bow sling is awesome, an absolute game changer. I like it way better than the ones you sling over your shoulder (Primos-style). I run mine on a Reckoning and swapped to open-ended female buckles so I could attach them directly to the middle top and left side top loops on the bag instead of weaving them through the shoulder straps. This also means I can unbuckle them and take them off easily to stuff in my pack. They do get twisted up when I put my pack on occasionally if I forget to position them properly. The way I have mine set up my bow rides comfortably at my left side with the string down and I gently hold my tightspot to keep it from bouncing and to lift it up over brush and grass. My bow slides off the hooks very quickly and the straps do not interfere with my shooting. I never realized how fatigued my arms became, and how significantly the fatigue affected my shooting until I started using the MT bow sling.
Also the Montana Bow Sling can be attached to most packs as well as be coupled together and used as a traditional bow sling, very versatile