Spine Questions

Hey guys and gals I just got a new set of vaps and me being a small guy went with the 350 spine for them. That being said, all together my arrows are coming in at 380 grains. I don’t plan on hunting anything large in the next 7 to 8 months. I know that will do the trick on a javelina but I am wanting to possibly get the 95 grain stainless inserts and go with a 125 grain broadhead. My question is, am I going to weaken the spine too much for my bow? I shoot 26.5 inches at 70 lbs, my arrows are about 25.75 carbon to carbon. I am hoping to jump up to above 450 grains. I haven’t had issues in the past with penetration even on elk. First bull was with a 377 grain axis shooting 260 FPS. However, I want to make sure I don’t have any in the future without losing too much speed because my short draw length.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you will be ok with that short of an arrow. Just shoot it and see, that is the ultimate test if it is under spined.

4KDOA

FNG
You should be just fine. As above, shooting and seeing if it will tune is the real test. You can go to victory arrows online and run the hypothetical numbers (different point and insert weights) with their spine calc. That will at least give you a reference if you haven't already done so. Good luck,

OP
E
I have done that and changing little tiny pieces of the arrow makes it flirt the line between 300 and 350. It’s generally coming out at about .321