Back Tension Releases

velvetfvr

WKR
The carter attraction, evolution, and revolution (as well as the stan element) fire off of simple pressure. They have a safety mechanism that you either push or dont push (depending on the model) while you draw. Once at full draw you simply continue to pull through the wall and it will fire when it hits a predetermined weight. They are very very good training devices. I have one, and I have seen some very top level shooters struggle to shoot in competitions with them because as you get tired or stressed, you will sometimes pull differently against the wall. Great for training... would not be good for hunting in my opinion.

I think that the best hinge style release I have used (and am currently using) is the honey badger claw from truball. It has the same HT head as the original HT. It is very very easy to adjust. You can use a click or none, and the handle is tapered like the longhorn.

I have always liked the feel of the longhorn but HATED the adjustment with a passion. You unscrew that set screw and then it is a week of adjustment before you get it back to where wanted it. I never liked the feel of the HT but loved how it adjsuted... the new HBC is a combo of great feel and awesome head.

I kinda get a kick out of all of the "back tension is a style not a release" comments... I would wager than 90% of the people making those comments say they shoot "back tension" with a trigger. I have shot competitively for many many years and have personally struggled and watched many others struggle with shot execution... until you shoot a hinge thousands and thousands of times, you will never know what true back tension execution feels like. Slowly squeezing a trigger while pulling across your back is not back tension.... it is command shooting. There is nothing wrong with that, guys shoot amazing scores doing it. So while I agree that it is style of shooting and not a particular release, I do not feel that taking your old punch o matic and trying to teach yourself back tension shooting is the way to go. If theres a trigger, you will cheat at some level... plain and simple. Go to the hinge or tension type release, then go back and try to shoot "back tension" with your trigger.

Some of the top pros will even argue that there is NO SUCH THING as back tension shooting. Even with a hinge, the release has to rotate to some extent so there is some control.

Joe

Joe it ain't command shooting. If wrapping your finger around the trigger, and then using back tension to move the finger back to set the release, is identical to shooting a hinge where your pulling with back tension to rotate the hinge to fire. You essentially called every release a command release. Because you have command over how much tension you apply to some tension releases.

Back tension is a method and one every person should shoot a bow by. It takes away the mental part of having a 2 part process to shoot. Once your muscle memory is down, all you essentially have to do is aim. Eliminating target panic.

I shoot only with a hinge and hunt with only a hinge release also.

velvetfvr

WKR
No it can't. If you are in a heavy crosswind you won't be able to hold you pin on the spot throughout the shot. If it blows and your bow moves 3 inches you'll miss the target at 60 yards if that is when it happens to go off. If you are shooting it correctly you have no idea or conscience control of when it is going to go off. Most serious 3-D shooters don't shoot them if windy, they will switch to a thumb release for windy days.

I get this, but if it's howling that hard, you shouldn't shoot at much distance. The wind is still strong enough, even in a split second from deciding to shoot and pulling the trigger, the wind is enough to still pull the bow off target.

WKR
I just switched to a Carter Attraction this winter. I previously shot a wrist strap caliper release. The Attraction is a very interesting release and can be shot in 2 different "modes" interchangeably. It is a tension release when you want and a thumb release when you want. I am trainng myself to not anticipate the thumb release by shooting most of the time in tension mode. I'll likely hunt with the thumb release mode. When I say "mode" it just means whether or not squeezing the thumb, which is the safety, causes the release to fire.

Tenison option is that I draw, press the thumb trigger/safety, and pull through the shot. At some point in the pull, the magnet lets go and the arrow leaves.

Thumb option is that I draw with more tension and upon pressing the thumb safety, I'm already above the threshold of the magnet and the arrow leaves as soon as the thumb safety is depressed.

I really like this release and this technique is making me a better shooter. When I first got it, I'd flinch occasionally in releasing the safety even though the magnet was still holding. It taught me how much I was anticipating the shot. That's much better now.

Joe it ain't command shooting. If wrapping your finger around the trigger, and then using back tension to move the finger back to set the release, is identical to shooting a hinge where your pulling with back tension to rotate the hinge to fire. You essentially called every release a command release. Because you have command over how much tension you apply to some tension releases.

Back tension is a method and one every person should shoot a bow by. It takes away the mental part of having a 2 part process to shoot. Once your muscle memory is down, all you essentially have to do is aim. Eliminating target panic.

I shoot only with a hinge and hunt with only a hinge release also.

I am NOT saying that triggers cannot be shot with back tension.. I am saying that 90+% or more people that think they are shooting their triggers with back tension, probably aren't, especially if they have never shot a hinge. I am also saying that learning to shoot "back tension" is almost impossible with a trigger unless you take the time to learn a hinge first. You may get a few shots to break correctly... but when the pressure's on, you are still pushing a button.

I am sort of playing devils advocate here... but what actual mechanism makes your hinge fire? It is NOT pressure from your back. The release HAS to pivot at some level. Your back does NOT deliver that rotation. What MOST are doing is pulling with back tension and slowly allowing that pressure to pull their fingers to rotate the hinge, or they are pulling as they release some tension on the pointer finger, thus allowing the release to rotate. Grab that baby and just "pull" with your back... your axles will break before the shot fires. It has to rotate. Either way, there is some hand control involved... I still feel like a hinge is the best possible release from a pure consistency standpoint, but many are shooting it like a big ol trigger anyway.

The closest thing to "pure back tension" is the pull through releases by carter, and they are a big buggy. Plus I have seen some people use the evolution and get really really good with it, then the pick up a button and back comes the punching. I have never seen anyone truly put in the time to shoot a hinge, switch to a trigger and immediately start punching.

I dont think we are on different pages, I just feel like people get caught up in trying to achieve "back tension" when in reality they are chasing a unicorn.

Joe

So how do you get better shaking all over and holding? Does it just happen with time and you have to experience it to know, like having children?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
for a good explanation of all this google George Ryals IV. he shoots a hinge, a thumb trigger and an index finger trigger the same way, all using back tension.

I just shot last weekends tournament with a Stan Black Pearl and a Stan Shootoff. One is a hinge and one a thumb trigger. They have the same POI for me. I shoot them both with the exact same process. Dan McCathy also has a good video explaining how to shoot a thumb trigger using back tension technique.

Brandon, the shaking can be many things....draw length not correct, stabilizers not balanced, holding weight are equipment related. Tension in your bow arm or release hand will also affect your sight picture and how much it shakes or moves. and lastly your mind plays a huge factor. You need to clear your mind when trying a new technique. If you have a busy mind you will press too much causing anxiety. even paying attention to what you eat. If you shake a lot one particular day look back at what you ate and vice versa if you have a really god day. Shooting is 90% mental and 10% physical.

jmez

WKR
Levi Morgan on backtension

[video=youtube;JbJO6u0mLJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbJO6u0mLJ8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Levi Morgan on backtension

[video=youtube;JbJO6u0mLJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbJO6u0mLJ8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice, I was trying to find that to link but couldn't, some interesting stuff right there. Back tension has turned into this almost mythical thing and I feel it's become something different then it originally started out as.

The way I look at it back tension is a method of maintaining tension in your back throughout your shot, it doesn't mean to pull the stops of your bow trying to get a release. And it doesn't mean you cannot command your firing engine . A lot of guys run 2-3 releases at different speeds, so they always get a surprise release, but they are not pulling with their back to attain it.

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Truball seminar from vegas from 2014 and 2015 have an hour long video on release and shot execution form three top compound archers also.

MIhunt44

FNG
The longhorn is a good option. Used one for a year of training. Now I am using a Carter Honey Do. Like theHoney original also.
I use them all winter, spring and summer then switch to a trigger for hunting.

do you activate the trigger using back tension or manually?
I guess the situation may dictate