Kudu Point Broadhead

WOODY05

FNG
Hey Folks,
Fairly new to Rokslide and this is my first post.

Small bio: Born and raised in western Oregon. Have been archery hunting for about 8 years. I enjoy pursuing basically anything in the outdoors, hunting, and fishing and I am starting to get into more backpack hunting.

I was curious if anyone has input on the Kudu Point broadheads. I am looking to switch from shuttle Ts(not sure if its a good idea or not). I tried searching for info but didn't come up with anything.

They seem like a good broadhead but I have been struggling on finding folks that have experience using these and their input. The guys who make them had a good sales pitch but most of them do.

Appreciate any info!

Will_m

WKR
Really interesting looking head, if no one chimes in, I may have to buy one and try it out.

Ive killed 2 Roosevelt and one black tail over the last 3 years with them.

Ive shot 100gr, and 125gr versions. Old style and new style blade.

They penetrate and are tough. You can skip them off the ground and pick them up to shoot again.

No tuning needed. Spin them on and shoot. You just need to make sure your bow is in tune.

I posted a bunch about them in another broadhead thread a while back. Also there is a video of my friend shooting them on youtube. Also one of the bulls I killed (the one in my avatar) is on you tube that was killed with a kudu.

I like them and will continue shooting them in the future.

SDHNTR

WKR
They look hard to resharpen. Also, make sure you really do some research on single bevels. Don't just drink the Ashby Koolaid blindly. With my limited experience, I see no advantage. To make a single bevel sharp, you have to thin out the edge so much that it can chip and roll. Also, that twisting motion through bone makes for a torsionally weak head. They break easier.

IMO, if you want a tried and true head that is machined from one piece of solid steel so that it's damn near indestructible, you want a VPA.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Single bevel absolutely has an advantage penetrating heavy bone. Use any sharpener that you can maintain a 22-25 degree angle and they will be shaving sharp without being thin.

Is that a knock off from the Stricklend head? Sure looks like it. If you can not get feedback on this head, I know you can on the strickland head. Very popular head.

The guys that make the Kudu were originally the guys who made the Strickland. If you like the Strickland, or have heard good things about the Strickland, the Kudu is better, mostly because of a greatly improved ferrule. The Kudu's are stronger.

The ferrule is an I-Beam shape, the blade is notched out in the center and slides over the ferrule, after that its swedged together (no screws), after the blade and the ferrule is joined, its then ground/sharpened to maintain balance of center-line. It takes 1000lbs to pull the blade out.

No tuning of the broadhead is huge, being able to spin any broadhead into any arrow.

The Stricklands ferrule is a straight notch out down through the center, the blade slides into the notch and is clamped with a screw.

They also changed the blade shape this year.

OP
W

WOODY05

FNG
Thanks for the input. I was looking at getting the 125 gr. When I talked with the folks at Kudu they were saying how they shoot like broadheads. I figured I would have to see for myself.

In your experience RunWithSasquatch, what were the entry/ exit wounds like? Did you have a lot of blood? I was going to bring the bow along for spring bear this year but with their thick fur I was a little worried if I did hammer one the blood trail would be an issue, especially with only a two blade broadhead..

N8iV Warrior

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I used these broadheads during this 2018 elk archery season and deer season and really pissed off about the hype on these broadheads. I made great shots on both elk at 26 yds and was not able to recover both elk they just kept going. The deer was both shot at 54 yds and 40 and did not recover either of them also. Way too much hype for nothing I will be throwing these in the trash. I’m going back to my Shuttle -T’s 100 gr. My total arrow weight is 462 gr. 100 gr Kudu garbage point now, Bowtech destroyer 350 speed at 302 FPS @69 lb draw. Only thing I like about them was they flew great as the field point but doesn’t do any good if it just wounds the animals. I looked for all four animals in a total of 6 days and very angry with myself. Never again with bevel edge points 2 blade.

Do Not Use these. 3 blades are better then 2 plus a better blood trail with 3 blade have a good hunting season everyone.

Trial153

WKR
If your 0 for 3 with all " great shots" your shooting sucks and you need to reevaluate think what you consider great.
I have some pretty strong opinions when it comes to broadhead and their performance , however even the ones I consider mostly junk will kill game on " great shots" providing there is no head failure. And no way kudu points had structural failure, not at that ratio.
Your great shots arent so great.

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
0 for 4? How can a broadhead account for that? (Serious question...beginner archer still learning here.) Seems llike an in-depth recount should be made to back up the assertion made in the post. And for others to learn if there’s a lesson there.

MattB

WKR
I have no experience with this head or head type, but personally would not exclude a broadhead from consideration based on one "0 for 4" on the internet. There is more than 1 consistent variable in that equation.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Way too much hype for nothing I will be throwing these in the trash.

Dont throw them away! I will take them off your hands, I shot the 125 g version this year out of a destroyer 350 and killed a 3pt mule deer. 450 grain arrow with 42 grain brass insert, 33 yards quartering away downhill, went in thru the ribs and exited thru the brisket and buried into a log. Buck only went about 50 yards. I was really impressed with the entrance wound as it seemed wider than the broadhead.

Attachments

• Resized952018091695071840953029[1].jpg
    Resized952018091695071840953029[1].jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 235

Zac

WKR
I think the main benefit to the Kudu is the accuracy. They fly amazing, however the tip of the head is extremely weak due to such a thin tapering design. I have seen them simply fold over. If you wan't to try a tougher single bevel I think the Bone Broadhead is a stark contrast to the Kudo. Instead of of the super thin point you get a more gradual taper with more steel up front and a more compact design. Born and Raised did some pretty considerable testing on both of these heads if your interested.

nickstone

WKR
I shot Kudu points this year. I shot a bear in the heart at 18 yards. It was a complete pass through and I never was able to find the arrow. It only ran about 30 yards and died. The off side shoulder was totally destroyed.

I shot them during a few broadhead shoots and had a blade get chipped out by another broadhead. I called them and was totally impressed with their customer service.

I would not hesitate to shoot them if I were looking for a good fixed blade broadhead.

My experience of actual shots on multiple deer, elk, pigs is that animals shot in the heart simply can not physically keep "going and going"

I shot Kudu points this year. I shot a bear in the heart at 18 yards. It was a complete pass through and I never was able to find the arrow. It only ran about 30 yards and died. The off side shoulder was totally destroyed.

I shot them during a few broadhead shoots and had a blade get chipped out by another broadhead. I called them and was totally impressed with their customer service.

I would not hesitate to shoot them if I were looking for a good fixed blade broadhead.

My experience of actual shots on multiple deer, elk, pigs is that animals shot in the heart simply can not physically keep "going and going"

I have had a similar experience with a whitetail this year. Heart shot and watched the deer tip over about 30 yards away and couldn't find arrow. I would recommend this head to anyone that is experienced enough to tune their bow and understands bowhunting. This head is tough and shoots great on a tuned bow. Just make a good shot on the animal in the first place and you will have good results.

socoalt

WKR
I used the 100 gr. heads this year. I shot an antelope and bent the broadhead on the off side shoulder. He ran 60 yds and died. I contacted Andy at Kudu point about the head bending he told me to put it on and old arrow, stick the head in a vice and bend it back. I did. I tested its flight and it hits with field points out to 70 yds. I think they are tough and perform as advertised, if you are savvy enough to re-sharpen them then they are a great investment. The customer service is awesome and I will continue to use them and recommend them.

bpurtz

WKR
I hunted with Shuttle T for several years and had great luck with them - I was in the market to buy some more but read some forum comments that the manufacturing was moved to overseas and that some people were experiencing quality problems - not sure if that was true or not. 2 years ago I decided to try the Kudu 100 grain - I've killed 2 elk and a bear with them - no complaints.

JBivens

FNG
Curious if anyone has shot and compared in the field both the Kudo and Iron Will. I know 225nontypical has done quite a bit of writing on heads and has good facts/opinions, just seeing if there are more thoughts on this?