Hoyt REDWRX Carbon RX-1 Turbo build and review

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This just arrived yesterday and I'll be reviewing it. I am not quite as skilled as Tony at setting them up, so I've got it at my bow mechanic right now getting the initial setup done. I'll update this thread as I go along with what choose to dress it in and some of my impressions. New bows are exciting :)

99d426657f968be85aaa50d5eda99197.jpg
17ea3cb23b2f994caea515defeefe89a.jpg
1b1a3325753bfa4c9a5d064d066bb116.jpg
3594fe1c4663eafe4182249e97e29d28.jpg
2764c0bdcc47057cb8df378a5ea9642e.jpg

Live2hunt custom shelters

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc89

WKR
This just arrived yesterday and I'll be reviewing it. I am not quite as skilled as Tony at setting them up, so I've got it at my bow mechanic right now getting the initial setup done. I'll update this thread as I go along with what choose to dress it in and some of my impressions. New bows are exciting :)

Congrats Sir, just about got mine all dialed in. Looking forward to your review

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc89

WKR
Haven't ran into anything really major. The cable are a little different then the previous model of course so tuning was a little different. Hoyt actually published a "2018 Product Tech Bulletin" on their website that I read as well as the owners manual which was very helpful for making minor adjustments to the timing, cam lean, and cables. There's a very detailed video on the Nock On YouTube channel by John Dudley that was very helpful also for setting up the RX1's . So far everything he said about setup has been true for mine as well. Here's the links to the video and tech bulletin. If you need any measurements or photos for reference let me know.

Hoyt RX1 REDWRX Bow Build with JOHN DUDLEY- Patriot Edition - YouTube

Support | Hoyt.com

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haven't ran into anything really major. The cable are a little different then the previous model of course so tuning was a little different. Hoyt actually published a "2018 Product Tech Bulletin" on their website that I read as well as the owners manual which was very helpful for making minor adjustments to the timing, cam lean, and cables. There's a very detailed video on the Nock On YouTube channel by John Dudley that was very helpful also for setting up the RX1's . So far everything he said about setup has been true for mine as well. Here's the links to the video and tech bulletin. If you need any measurements or photos for reference let me know.

Hoyt RX1 REDWRX Bow Build with JOHN DUDLEY- Patriot Edition - YouTube

Support | Hoyt.com

Thanks I'll watch it and read up

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
William, don't feel bad, I still have a pro-shop do my first set-up of a bow. I like to know I'm starting off on the right foot. After that, I handle the minor stuff. One day I'll be able to do it all though, like Aron says, it makes it so much better if you have problems in the field and can fix it all yourself. I'm subscribed, looking forward to your set up.

Doc89, keep us posted on yours too, be great to have two reviews rolling at once!

Doc89

WKR
William, don't feel bad, I still have a pro-shop do my first set-up of a bow. I like to know I'm starting off on the right foot. After that, I handle the minor stuff. One day I'll be able to do it all though, like Aron says, it makes it so much better if you have problems in the field and can fix it all yourself. I'm subscribed, looking forward to your set up.

Doc89, keep us posted on yours too, be great to have two reviews rolling at once!
Will do Robby, I've really enjoyed setting up and tuning this bow. It's been a great learning experience as my goal was to do everything myself start to finish. I've got it punching bullet holes through paper from 3ft to 5 yards in my garage as shown below. It would probably save a few guys some time by doing a review on what I've learned about the bow.
c117340bb4fc2811a713060919f0cd76.jpg

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will do Robby, I've really enjoyed setting up and tuning this bow. It's been a great learning experience as my goal was to do everything myself start to finish. I've got it punching bullet holes through paper from 3ft to 5 yards in my garage as shown below. It would probably save a few guys some time by doing a review on what I've learned about the bow.
c117340bb4fc2811a713060919f0cd76.jpg

I'd like to see you post up your process to compare to my own.

Last edited:

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
So I picked up a RX-1 ultra and my buddy got the turbo we shoot the same arrow 497 gr goldtip
I've had mine for about two months and him about a month, both bow tuned somewhat easily ( had to play with cam lean and timing just a bit ) but what we found was a speed difference of only 6 fps between them,mine at 276 fps and his at 281/282 both at 71.5-71.8 lbs
So I was happy with mine but we started playing with his 😉 And ended up with an impressive gain ! @74.4 lbs of draw weight @28.5" we are getting 297fps out of the 497 gr arrow with great arrow flight (6" groups at 100 yards) and awesome Broadhead flight !
I'm really impressed with this 2018 Turbo cam ! Smoother draw and little better back wall , some people are bitching about tuning the new Hoyt's
but just take your time and you will get great results!

Doc89

WKR
So I picked up a RX-1 ultra and my buddy got the turbo we shoot the same arrow 497 gr goldtip
I've had mine for about two months and him about a month, both bow tuned somewhat easily ( had to play with cam lean and timing just a bit ) but what we found was a speed difference of only 6 fps between them,mine at 276 fps and his at 281/282 both at 71.5-71.8 lbs
So I was happy with mine but we started playing with his And ended up with an impressive gain ! @74.4 lbs of draw weight @28.5" we are getting 297fps out of the 497 gr arrow with great arrow flight (6" groups at 100 yards) and awesome Broadhead flight !
I'm really impressed with this 2018 Turbo cam ! Smoother draw and little better back wall , some people are bitching about tuning the new Hoyt's
That's awesome! Did you guys just twist up the cables on his turbo to get te extra poundage? I hear you there on the tuning part. After you figure it out it's a pretty impressive setup.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I was happy with mine but we started playing with his And ended up with an impressive gain ! @74.4 lbs of draw weight @28.5" we are getting 297fps out of the 497 gr arrow with great arrow flight (6" groups at 100 yards) and awesome Broadhead flight !
That is an impressive jump!

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the bow back. I had a Vaportrail Pro V Limb Driver rest installed, D loop tied on, and peep installed.
2066054aaab6daa58ea9a00336ef39aa.jpg
ce54fd631291c389184f9076f43c8f7b.jpg

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tim also went ahead and timed it and shot through paper. It initially had a bit of a tail left tear but after a twist and a half it's shooting bullet holes.
0bc082dc76fb6559ca0ea99ce152a356.jpg
a66cc3fb39e2edd5dab0e1587f31a31c.jpg
959790620fb5bd191cd03964f7a65223.jpg

Doc89

WKR
Here is what I'm running on it:

Spot Hogg Hogg Father sight. Spot Hogg Hogg Father MRT Archery Sight

Stokerized Carbon Stasis Stabilizer
Stokerized Stasis CUSTOM 15" Carbon Stasis Offset Stabilizer

Tight Spot 5 quiver
Tight Spot 5 Arrow Quiver | Quiver for Arrows | BlackOvis.com

How do you like the stokerized setup so far? I've considered either the Carbon Stasis or the SS one 15" models for when I run the quiver.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the stokerized setup so far? I've considered either the Carbon Stasis or the SS one 15" models for when I run the quiver.

I really like it. I was wanting to try one for awhile and then mflood told me of his experience with the ss and pushed me over the edge on it. It looks a little funny the way it attaches offset but that also makes it more effective because more of the weight is off to the side so the side bar doesn't need kicked out as far. It's adjustments are infinite. All in all a pretty solid product with some advantages over the competition.