Local Shop vs Online Up-charge

slowelk

WKR
What is a typical up-charge for a local shop vs an online retailer like Lancaster? For example, my local shop is asking $120 for a dozen GT Hunter XT, or $150 for Easton Axis Match with no cutting charge + $3/arrow for fletching, where as Lancaster comes in at $98.04 for the GTs, and $122.88 for the Eastons - both are cut prices. Similarly excessive gaps exist in other products, but this is the most recent example I have. I prefer supporting local business, but at this premium rate it's hard to justify.

I know there are a few shop owners on here, as well as others with larger sample sizes than me. Please weigh-in!

big44a4

WKR
Just depends. I think my shop has a modest charge for GT arrows while other shops around me sell Easton’s for 60% higher than online. So if I buy GT I use my shop and if I buy Easton’s I go online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
First thing you need to know is if the arrow companies offer volume discounts to the retailer.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Valid point to consider the agreement that the shop has with the company. Both markups are close to 23% compare to Lancaster, so it'd seem that the same deal could be in place with GT and Easton. The shop owner pushes Bloodsport pretty hard, so I've had the feeling he has a pretty sweet deal with them.

OR Archer

WKR
There are different price points for dealers based on volume. Retailers like Lancaster do large volumes so they get a better price thus passing it along to consumers. This doesn’t apply to all archery items however. Most archery manufacturers also have MAP pricing these days as well.

I personally will pay a little more to buy it from my local shop. I have a buddy who runs a shop and he has told me how much it pisses them off when people buy stuff online and then bring it into him to work on at the last minute. Most shops will drop what they are doing to work on your stuff if you buy it from them and have a problem. I have personally had a bow break just before a hunt and the service I got because I was a loyal customer was great.

AdamW

WKR
It just depends on the item and how much the shop needs/wants to mark it up. As I always say in these threads I'll buy local up to a point so long as it is apples to apples. I'm not going to buy a different product because that's all a shop carries if I know what I want. 30% more on arrows, maybe not a world ender, 30% on a $1k+ firearm...can't do it.

Trial153

WKR
Seems to be about right as far as mark up and labor considing that are building them.
For about 200 you can buy all the tools needed to build your own arrows.
Figure 4 dozen built and you break even vs the mark up your paying

danarnold

WKR
I was in the market for a new mathews bow, put a WTB on archery talk and a shop 3 hours away replied with a 125$ discount available in person only, I went to my local 15 min away and they had no interest in any discount even after expressing I'd load it up also... so a week ago we made the drive and bought all kinds of things I hadnt considered bc he was offering killer deals, internet prices.
my uncle lives 30 min past this guys shop which was better outfitted than my local, we spent the night at uncles and headed home in the am, well worth the drive