Tow vehicle?

JWP58

WKR
So I'm looking at the logistics of getting a couple of burros next yr or 2020. However I drive a Nissan Frontier, it has a tow capacity of 6k lbs. I figure the burros will run 5-600lbs, and I'll probably use a two horse straight load trailer.

Anyone use a frontier/tacoma/colorado to pull their stock? How does it perform?

CX5Ranch

WKR
Would you feel comfortable pulling two 4 wheelers behind your truck? Same difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Would you feel comfortable pulling two 4 wheelers behind your truck? Same difference.

True, except I'm not 100% on the weight of the trailer, which would be heavier than a utility trailer. But that's an interesting way to look at it.

From some general Google fu it looks like a bumper pull 2 horse usually goes about 2500lbs. Plus about 1-1200lbs worth of stock puts me under the max tow rating with some wiggle room for humans, gear, and tack.

It's not usually what u can tow, but how well it stops and how it handles in curves and ruts.
Moderate speed and I'd suggest trailer brake controller and obviously trailer would need brakes. And you would be fine.

Remember the truck will be loaded to.
Maybe a load distribution hitch would be a good idea?

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Yes trailer brakes would be a must have, since I'll going up and over a few mountain passes.

rayporter

WKR
I was going to keep quiet even though I considered questioning the passes.

as an observation, even though your numbers are spot on, nearly every person I have known with a small rig has made a serious upgrade when it came time to get a new truck. this speaks volumes, no matter what they said when they owned the small truck.

after going down a long 6 mi grade -or up- you will really know how it handles. but it is not just the passes cause if you live in west Virginia with lots of curves and hills it is a lot different than Oklahoma with lots of gentle hills and straight roads. then, consider how often you will pull it. once a week in the Ozarks mayl drive you crazy but every other month in Kansas wont bother you much.

and weigh it. everyone should weigh their rig and not guess. when totally loaded for a long hunt you may be shocked.

I think your fine, just use care and take it easy on the animals in the turns.
luck-ray

CX5Ranch

WKR
Definitely get trailer brakes. Don't pass anyone up the pass. You'll be fine. Until you break down lol.

My brother is stranded in the mountains right now with a fried axle bearing. He has the best equipment money can buy. Can happen at any time to anyone.

CX5Ranch

WKR
It's hard to take steak and eggs in that back pack. Even harder to bring out antlers.

If you're worried about the work it takes to pack with stock, then don't even try it. You must also consider the other 11 and a half months they are standing around with their head stuffed in a bale of hay.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
If they will physically fit I would put a rack on the Nissan and put them in the back of your truck. For years this was my only means of moving horse and mules around.

EastMont

FNG
I pull my two horse bumper pull with a 2009 chevy 1500 (5.3L?) extended cab, my two buros, and all the crap. This year I went from Southern New Meixco to mid-Montana. Essentially from Canada to Mexico . A frontier sounds like you'd be right there at the edge for comfort and safety.

Your correct in that a two horse bumper pull runs about 2500-3000 pounds with gear and 1,000+lbs of burros you probabaly going to get near your capacity. I personally drive 55mph+ up passes and rarely above 65mph on the highway. If thats your style then you'll proabably be alright.

Run around locally and see how a trailer on your truck does. If your gonna go on a big adventure, see if a buddy has a bigger pickup. If your still nervous, rent a horse trailer (most dealers would prolly let you take one for a spin), put some weight in it- or test pull one that is larger than you plan to get- and that should answer your questions.

That being said. Do it. I was on the fence forever before I pulled the trigger. We all have to start somewhere. I did have a larger pickup than you but I started with a cheap $2000 trailer, second hand tack, and less than 1/2 acre (essentially a small back yard) for my animals.

I learned alot about trailer driving, trailer maintenance, and how to get into places (good and bad) with my trailer. That was absolutely invaluable. Lessons I would not have learned if I had waited for the perfect setup.