Getting Into Llamas

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm looking to get a few llamas. I've done quite a bit of reading and research. I have a place to keep them, and will have help with caring for them daily. For anyone that has them, where are you finding them? It seems like almost all the breeders I look at either currently have none, or they're only looking to sell really experienced Packers for way beyond my budget. Was hoping to pick up one intact male, a gelding, and two females. Thoughts on that mix? Any leads on available pack llamas that aren't going to run me ten plus thousand bucks?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CX5Ranch

WKR
Have you ever thought about buying an old horse to lead in?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Depending on where you are, Llamas can be a bit of a fad that you might capitalize off of. I know a lady that has a ton of them (10-15?) she got for free from people that got sick of dealing with them.

I know that she had a sickness run through them like wildfire and lost several before a vet experienced with them figured it out.

So maybe just put "llama's wanted" add in craigs to see what pop's up? Then break/train on your own?

Just a thought...

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Have you ever thought about buying an old horse to lead in?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've considered it. But the cost and maintenance of the two has me leaning decidedly toward a few llamas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Responded to your original post about llamas but must have done something wrong as my post was copied three-fold. Anyway, try Stage Stop Llamas in Florissant, CO. They are really good to work with. Do not have established packers but they have 250 llamas and lots to choose from. I'm guessing that you can probably negotiate a reasonable price and all of their llamas come from good breeding stock (i.e., they are registered). I picked up a one-year old male and a five-year old male in June 2017. Spent an hour or so looking them all over before choosing. Both llamas have been terrific after very little training and I am now breeding the five-year old to 3 of my female llamas. They are not registered Ccaras but you do not need Ccaras to pack successfully. Over the past 20 years I have found that attitude and 'heart' are more important than a particular breed and some of my best packers have been small by Ccara standards but would still pack 90 lbs all day long. If you would like some help just email me at [email protected].

I agree with you Dennis. None of my llamas are registered or of the Ccara lineage and all turned out to be strong reliable packers. I think that building trust and good training (and lots of it) are critical.