Mystery ranch metcalf users weigh in

Trial153

WKR
I have done that long out of a metcalf by adding a dry bag on the load shelf.

Trial153

WKR
So Metcalf on its own is not big enough?
There is huge difference between 7 and 10 days, food alone your looking 30% more ..figure 6 more pounds.
It really depends on what gear you take and how spartan you are. For me 10 days with 4500 ci is tight. 7 days..no problem

ID_Matt

WKR
I think it is doable. I have only done 4 out of mine and had plenty of room. the pack is listed at 4300 CI or whatever but the cinch top makes it effectively much more. I don't strap anything to the outside either. If you put a bigger item such as tent or sleeping bag on the outside then you would definitely be able to do it.

TravisIN

WKR
I just did it with no issues. I packed way to much food and had several “extras”. I had a anker solar charger that’s pretty good size and weighs a pound. I had a steripen and a swayer filter with an extra bag. I took thermal bottoms that I never used. My bag isn’t a high end bag and is a wide version so it takes up quite a bit of room. I didn’t blow out of the bag. I can send you my gear list if you want to compare it so you get a better idea if it’ll work for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the older NICE frame version and I'd say it doable, especially for a September elk hunt, If it was a late season hunt and you had some extra clothes it would be tight.

GPool1842

WKR
I was worried it wouldn’t be and I didn’t want to run the dry bag on the load shelf so I swapped for a Marshall. I had that thing full for a 9 day solo backpacking hunt last week and I had a purpose for everything in it.

satchamo

WKR
Doable yes. As mentioned above, try a dry bag in the meat shelf if you need the space.

I've packed mine for 5 days with no issue.

It’s absolutely possible. I just did 7 days in a pintler, and my brother and cousins used the metcalf and neither one had issues.

Depends on the comfort level needed. I've been doing 5-7 day Sept elk hunts out of BL 2200 for years.