Whats the word on the new Kifaru Lite/Ultralite versus the older Hunter Frame?

I dont "need" a new kifaru frame, but interested in you guys that have had the older duplex versions like the recent hunter/tactical frame and how it compares to the newer Lite and Ultralight versions. Is it a worthy upgrade?

Lawnboi

WKR
Also interested. Wife needs a frame next year, and I have multiple Kifaru bags, so the most economical thing would be to just buy another frame. But I, I mean she, might like to try a stone glacier or seek outside too.

Now that stuff is hitting the ground I’m curious to hear what people think

amp713

WKR
I got the ultralite and I used to run the bikini. This is a huge step up from that I feel like but I never ran a duplex frame

OP
B
I got the ultralite and I used to run the bikini. This is a huge step up from that I feel like but I never ran a duplex frame

I never ran the bikini, but had the original duplex, and now I have the hunter and it was a big upgrade. One of my bigger complaints on the current hunter frame is how the shoulder straps can spread out on you, I always use the right shoulder strap to pick up my pack and sling it on, and I also run my rifle in a gun bearer on the right side which pulls on the right strap, so I am always having to adjust it. Do you feel like your shoulder straps are pretty solid and stay in place with the newer design?

marktole

WKR
I had the hunter duplex last year and used it quite a bit. Good frame. My only complaints were what Kifaru fixed on the new duplex lite (frame would barrel with awkward loads, not enough horizontal rigidity).

I tried the new duplex lite, opted for the 1/8” thick version because it was still lighter than my old hunter duplex, but stiffer. I have gotten some good use in with the new one this year and I like it a lot better. I personally think the frame fits better with less padding on the back. Rides great, stays in place with heavy loads, don’t have sore shoulders, all the good stuff you look for in a pack.

sr80

WKR
I had the new lite on order stictly for the horiztonal brace, because my hunter frame barrels pretty bad, which is my only complaint about it. But I didnt like that gap up the back on the lite, just couldn't get over the fact that things would or could be touching my back through it. Si i sent my frame sheet to native textiles and had them put a horizontal brace on it. Work amazing, zero barreling now.

OP
B
Thanks guys, I have the lite on order so I will see how it stacks up and will report back. It will be tough considering I liked my duplex and am currently in love with my hunter frame!

JP100

WKR
Not alot in it really. Minimal weight savings I think

It is 'stiffer' with the horizontal bar, I also have one fitted to my hunter frame which is an easy mod that makes the hunter/tactical frames alot better I think.

The gap in the back can be an issue. depends how ya use your pack. I do notice things like a nalgene bottle poking through if I dont pack it right.
If you used just the frame for sheds/meat packing or awkward loads it would be a pain, they do make a frame sheet to cover the hole, but then you might as well just run a hunter frame.

I dont think there is a massive win with the new frames, I am still using mine and yet to decide if I like it more than a hunter/tactical. But there is no immediate bonus from my view.

If you want a lighter pack system I think you'd be better off going with another brand than Kifaru.

I had the new lite on order stictly for the horiztonal brace, because my hunter frame barrels pretty bad, which is my only complaint about it. But I didnt like that gap up the back on the lite, just couldn't get over the fact that things would or could be touching my back through it. Si i sent my frame sheet to native textiles and had them put a horizontal brace on it. Work amazing, zero barreling now.

Would you mind dropping a pic or two of the new brace David added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
Mine seems to bring the weight inncloser to my back vs the duplex. I am not tall and ordered the short straps after talking to them. They seemed too short and i just sent them in for the longer ones.
If you have any upper body i would think the longer straps are better. The ends dug into my lower arm pit. My duplex can be adjusted long enough it was not a issue.
The no barreling is a plus especally with dry bags and a net. 22miles on mine.

I really like it. Like the lightweight of them compared to the duplex yet they are still
Comfortable. I used my frame to pack out a sheep. 100 pound plus 6 miles Frame did good

sr80

WKR
Would you mind dropping a pic or two of the new brace David added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't take credit for the idea, was chatting with JP100 and he gave me the idea. Once native textiles had the frame sheet they had it finished and shipped the following day. Im really happy with it. And works great.

PLn8mpf.jpg

UXTu3MB.jpg

TheTone

WKR
I read a review in a magazine just the other day that said it was awesome despite the fact I'm almost positive the author had never seen one besides online, LOL.

I really wish I knew people more around me with Kifaru packs as I'd like to give one a fair workout.

Squirrels

WKR
Word of caution, don't fill your bag with all your gear and use fish type scale to weigh by hanging the horizontal stay of the frame on the hook of the scale. I thought about how stupid it was after I did it. All that weight focused to a single point of a carbon arrow....but Kifaru took care of me, as they always do.

OP
B
Whats the lead time been for you guys on the new frame? I ordered 9 days ago and was hoping for about a ~2 week lead time. Has it been longer?

amp713

WKR
I packed an elk out last week. Shorter pack so I didnt bone out and just did quarters. I honestly felt like a front and rear quarter along with some of the extra goodies was a super comfortable pack even compared to my bikini frame. The longest pack I had all my gear, the head an my bow and went to move the truck to a closer pack out spot for the quarters and even with the head not close to my body it was still more comfortable than the stone glacier I tested just hiking with daily gear. I feel like the pack moves better with me while hunting (I hunt with my entire camp on my back most of the time) but it still handles the weight of a pack out great and doesnt flex too much. Granted I only weigh 145 so I'm not trying to pack 100 pounds out a time but that's my opinion on it

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the horizontal brace done by Native also and would recommend it 100%. My frame was only away from my house for 9 days.

rbljack

WKR
Also interested. Wife needs a frame next year, and I have multiple Kifaru bags, so the most economical thing would be to just buy another frame. But I, I mean she, might like to try a stone glacier or seek outside too.

Now that stuff is hitting the ground I’m curious to hear what people think

This is GENIUS!! I just picked up a used duplex frame and reckoning off here. I have wanted to look at other bag options, but I know my wife will kill me because I have like 4 packs now. THIS is the answer. Get her an "upgraded" pack. Lets see....what bag do I...I mean the wife need next.

I've got a new lite and a hunter frame. The new frame is more rigid from flexing altogether. But, the hunter frame will flex in towards your back easily but, takes some real torquing to get it to flex back away from your body. Yes the new frame is more rigid but, I really like the hunter frame too. A lot. I think its because I have aluminum stays I tweaked just a bit. It literally fits like a glove. My wife has a hunter frame in composite stays and it doesn't feel as well.

The new frame is nice and has some definite upgrades on it. The side loops are much easier to get the k clips in. It ventilates so much better. It has double hookups on the bottom for a grab it and, to adjust your bag tension. And, when carrying something very hard and stiff in the meat shelf, it does a better job of holding its form when you cinch it down really tight. With that said, I had no problems with the way the hunter performed either during that kind of stuff.

I give the nod to the hunter for most comfortable though. I'm sure it is due to having a truly custom fit versus the preset composite stays. However, I have close to 200 hundred miles on the lite frame training and hunting and, it is dang comfy too. They both carry weight very well. Under extreme loads, I'd give the comfort factor to my hunter frame. Once again due to the custom fit. But, the ventilation is so much better on the lite frame. Bag change and deploying the meat shelf is easier on the lite. And hooking things up is easier due to more options on the Lite. The lite frame is more rigid which I find extremely comfortable. It really is a toss up for me due to the custom fit my hunter frame gives me. I definitely don't prefer the composite stayed hunter frame to the new lite frame though. If that were my choices, I'd go lite all the way.

I keep telling myself I'm going to sell one or the other but, I just can't bring myself to do it. Both are extremely comfortable and I've worked them into best uses based on what I'm doing. Just know which ever one you get, you'd be happy. And, either will carry comfortably far more weight then I care to do routinely.

Hope this helps. God Bless