Stone Glacier / Exo Mountain pack question

11bhank

FNG
I know this probably gets annoying for some but... I am torn between the exo 5500 and the SG 6200. I like the side pockets of the exo and the stretchy pocket on the front. To me exo has the pocket placement down better than any company. However, I have not tried on an exo and will have to order one to do so. I have tried the SG 5900 and it felt awesome. SG seems like an amazing pack company. My question is, has anyone purchased a SG and wish they would’ve went with Exo or exo and wished they would’ve went SG? I would like an honest opinion. I’m a regular sized guy and I’m sure both packs will fit me great. I don’t know anything about packs and would like to hear if there are any issues with either design.

FURMAN

WKR
I purchased both and sold the EXO. We all have different wants and needs. To me they were near equal in comfort. I felt the EXO had a more quality feel to it. I kept the SG 7900 because I felt the bag design pretty much covered all the bases.

Kotaman

WKR
I purchased both and sold the EXO. We all have different wants and needs. To me they were near equal in comfort. I felt the EXO had a more quality feel to it. I kept the SG 7900 because I felt the bag design pretty much covered all the bases.

Yep...Me too. I won't say I thought the EXO felt more "quality" though. I currently own a couple SG packs (5900 and 7400), a Kifaru (Fulcrum) and a Mystery Ranch (Marshall) pack. My SG's are my "go to" for 90% of what I do.

i had an exo but the SG xcurve fit my curved back better with a heavy load so i sold the exo and kept the SG. if you like pockets 6200 seems like the bag for you.

OP
11bhank

11bhank

FNG
Well the 6200 does not have any pockets except the main and the tripod pockets according to the website. I don’t know if the 5900 would cover the longer hunts. Thank you all for your input.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got the Sky Archer, but have never tried any Exo pack. In my opinion it's a fantastic bag, just very, very basic. But it will certainly swallow up gear if you like to pack a lot. I would love to compare it to an Exo, I thought about seeing if I could trade just to try an Exo out, but when I'm actually hunting, the sky archer does everything I need it to. It's only when Ive been online for too long that I get an itch to try out a pile more gear lol.
Basically I don't plan on switching anytime soon, I'm quite happy with the SG.

OP
11bhank

11bhank

FNG
If you had it to do over with do you think you would stick with the 6200 sky or maybe try the 5900 with the front pocket?

Graves14

WKR
I tried both and decided on the Exo. I found the frame the most comfortable both under heavy loads and for wearing with 30lbs of Gear in it while hunting all day. I love the pocket layout and it seems to have an obvious place to put everything. The stone glacier was really nice too but for me the Exo was and is the best.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
If you had it to do over with do you think you would stick with the 6200 sky or maybe try the 5900 with the front pocket?

For a while I would’ve taken the 5900, but now I’m starting to like the side zip of the archer. I think most guys would prefer the 5900, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I haven't tried the Stone Glacier but I like my Exo 3500 very much. The pocket layout seems perfect to me for the majority of what I do. The long side pocket holds my rifle well too if I need to get it out of the way. I love the way that pack moves laterally with me while having vertical rigidity for heavy loads. I have a Kifaru tactical frame with the Nomad 2 bag also and I use the Exo more often.

OP
11bhank

11bhank

FNG
I went with Exo Mountain Gear! To me the exterior pocket layout and the titanium frame won me over. We shall see if the pack is as comfortable as the SG. Thanks for the help

SO I ordered Exo, Kifaru and Stone Glacier and tested them over same distance with same weight and ended up keeping the Exo and returned the other two packs. I thought the stone glacier and exo were the closest in comfort and the kifaru was third. At the end of the day I went with Exo as I felt more fatigued with the stone glacier than I did with the Exo pack. Again, packs are like boots we all have a different fit. To be honest I wanted to the Kifaru to work bad as thats the pack i liked, but i couldn't deny how Exo felt on my back.

SO I ordered Exo, Kifaru and Stone Glacier and tested them over same distance with same weight and ended up keeping the Exo and returned the other two packs. I thought the stone glacier and exo were the closest in comfort and the kifaru was third. At the end of the day I went with Exo as I felt more fatigued with the stone glacier than I did with the Exo pack. Again, packs are like boots we all have a different fit. To be honest I wanted to the Kifaru to work bad as thats the pack i liked, but i couldn't deny how Exo felt on my back.

i did the same thing and imo this is the way to go. they really are like boots and you dont know til you try them on with a load for yourself

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a Exo 5500 for my day pack (I haul light "puffy gear" to keep the kids warms) and they Sky 7400 as my expedition pack. Both fit well and have their pros and cons. From what I can tell of the new SG frame (which I have yet to try) my minor issues with the SG would be resolved (how the shoulder straps and chest straps work - I get a slight pinch under full loads with the old SG frame setup.)

I also have a SG Avail, an Exo 2200, and a Sitka Apex Pack. I had a Exo 3500, but for minimal weight gain I could have more space, so sold it and moved up to the 5500.

At this point I am happy having these options. I need to remind myself to regularly go back and watch the fit videos... Always something I have missed that usually helps...