Looking for thoughts on the Kifaru AMR

zacattack

WKR
So, I've been looking at packs for a while for back country hunting and offseason camping. Most trips will be in the 5 to 7 day range. I seriously contemplated the Reckoning for a long time, but the more I thought about it the more I don't think I would like the center zip, I don't know maybe I'm crazy. Anyhow, I'm now thinking more towards getting the AMR, just wondering what you guys that are using one think about it. Thanks!

It's fine. I'm not sure it's the perfect pack for me, but it is my go-to pack for backcountry hunting. I have a guide lid for it and a couple of medium belt pouches that I usually use on the belt unless I'm carrying a firearm and I'll use one on the side down low to hold the butt of the gun. The two zip pouches are good, especially the lower of the two, it's always accessible. I also like the lower zipper for access to the bottom of the bag.

The only major design frustration I experience is that the hinge for the lid is not practical for anything but a full pack. It's hard to explain, but the lid will slip down over the top of the bag and it won't cover the opening, allowing your stuff to get wet if you're not vigilant. Swapping out the female half of the buckle for autolocks helps, but it will still sag. You can use a couple of k-clips as hinges, but then you lose the adjustability of the lid - it can only hinge off the top of the frame if you go that route.
You might get a guide lid/compression strap kit so that you can easily strap a bow or other gear to the back of your pack.

I have a woodsman also. I like the smaller size until I need to pack out an animal. Then, I'm wishing for the extra volume of the AMR.

Mercyme

Banned
Upside to 500D and no PALS on the face is a 3.25 lb bag. I know we've had all these debates about the comparative virtues of bag sizes and geometries, but the fact remains that we don't have many "snowy jungles" where you need to haul the food AND fuel AND shelter that gets bulky as the seasons cycle. There may be a possibility of having to make a long movements through craggy passages or chaparral but I'd bet $300US that would be a pretty exceptional circumstance. If I found myself contemplating a deployment to someplace that harsh, maybe build a sacrificial "diaper" from 1000D for the sleeping bag compartment, and specify 1000D for the Side Pockets.

Absolutely love my AMR and it’s been the gold standard for me for several years now. I’ve continually bought new bags when they come out and I always end up keeping my AMR. From and over sized mega load to cinched down for a day hunt, it just flat works. The side compression straps make it a quick adjustment from large to small or vice versa. The two back pockets are an excellent size for quick access items. I don’t run a spotter and tripod all the time and when I take a tripod it fits fine on the side of the bag without a need for a permanent pocket. The molle on the sides are great when you want to add additional pockets but I’ve found I never use them. Love the large top opening and don’t particularly care for the super tall and skinny bags that stick up way above your pack and head. I’ve done a little customization to mine by adding a pals matrix to the front just below the zipper. Gives me a spot to place an extra belt pouch or a spot to put a small strap to use like the lower strap on the Reckoning. I also added a pals matrix to the top so I can run it without a lid and just a belt pouch up top. Works great.

When I run my guide lid I use a pair of k-clips or a set of side release buckles instead of relying on the straps to hold my guide lid on. It creates more of a hinge ever to and keeps things tight and neat. (For guys that still use the lid straps attached to the top of the bags for the lid rear attachment just run the straps thru the common loops on the top edge of the frame then to the guide lid and it will keep the lid centered and from slipping down the bag from the rear side).

I’d love to find a bag that can better serve me but it just hasn’t been developed yet. Love my AMR and can’t see a time without it.

And my AMR weighs 2# 11oz with autolocks and the Velcro strap keepers removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
I love my AMR I use it for hunting and backpacking. I used it for a ten day backpack hunt last year and it held everything I needed. It will actually hold more than I am capable of carrying, I found this out when I tried to pack out an elk front and hind quarter in one trip this year. And it compresses down nicely for day use. I haven't had any issues with the lid, you just have to make sure the straps on the side that faces your back are tightened more when the pack is not very full. I added compression straps to strap my bow to the back and compress it even more when day hunting.

snowplow

WKR
I had the reckoning and prefer the amr. My perfect pack would have the dimensions of a reckoning (taller and not so big of a barrel) and have the same snowcollar lid setup but have the amr layout. I really love the bottom zip better than the full center zip.

I made mine a roll top and added pals matrix on lower third and deleted the side molle. I almost never run a lid anymore. Its a great pack. They really need to do an update.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Thanks for the replies and input! You guys have sold me. Now the hard part...picking a color.

If you like wolf grey I have one for sale with little use on here. I'm asking $330 with a guide lid or $260 for just the bag. This will save you taxes, shipping and the wait for them to make it for you.

I love the bag, and am only selling it since I live in a rainforest and am going to get a bag in Xpac.

Thanks for the replies and input! You guys have sold me. Now the hard part...picking a color.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love my AMR. I use it for day hunts, as well. I went against the grain and bought a regular lid instead of a guide lid. I'm glad I went that route.