New packs...what's out there worth seeing?

hodgeman

WKR
I've been using the same couple of packs now for nearly a decade- a MR NICE 6500 and a MR "Bighorn" with perfect satisfaction.

Both of these are showing their age and the wear and tear that a lot of hard outdoors use brings. I'm starting to look what's out there in the market these days and wonder what folks are finding good and bad with the new packs. I do more day hunts that turn into meat hauls than dedicated backpacking hunts these days.

Thoughts?

I have been happy with my Kifaru Woodsman with tactical frame. I also do mostly day hunts. I think it might be a bit small for backpack hunting.

Beendare

WKR
Have you looked at SG?

I ran a Dana then an MR pack many years ago upgrading to the custom McHale I use now.

After a dozen years its showing some wear and might not be my last pack afterall.

I would recommend a hard look at Stone Glacier. If you can go by the showroom in Bozeman talk to Jeff and crew. That Evo frame at about 3# is sweet....with lots of bag options. All made in USA.
9FD5413F-B5AD-46E4-8B39-7325B3B38AA8.jpg
Lots of good threads on SG here.... and now i see why.

You have more good options now than ever before.....

fbhandler

WKR
I've talked to Exo and some of the new offerings coming down the pike intrigue me.

I believe as a company their only going to get better... The pack/frame and dry bag, as well as their other accessories, really do function as a system. I know this is a common theme amongst all of the big names, but the longer I have this set up the more I’m seeing just how much thought was put into it... add to the fact that my whole rig, including pouches, tombstone, dry bag, everything is just over 6.5lb... it’s hard to beat !!

duchntr

WKR
Look at Seek Outsides Revolution series. Most comfortable frame under load I've found other than a barneys freighter frame.