"non hunting" backpacks

OP
S
Kevin,

I have noticed that your revolution frame looks much more like a classic external frame than say, a frame sheet pack like kifaru or stone glacier. Would you care to comment on why you went that route vs the frame sheet with stays in it?
I used to use an Osprey Vector series from the 90's for hunting.

Regarding non hunting, really our Divide is a non hunting backpack, but it will carry a hunting load out fine, same with our exposure

Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

I have used a Gregory Pow for quite some time as a day pack for hiking, camping, hunting, fishing and just about everything else. I have had that pack for 16 years and it's been all over the world, including Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait. I stuffed an entire boned out whitetail doe down in it once and hauled her out. That pack was not made to carry 50+lbs of gear and meat, but it did it. My back didn't like it though.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin,

I have noticed that your revolution frame looks much more like a classic external frame than say, a frame sheet pack like kifaru or stone glacier. Would you care to comment on why you went that route vs the frame sheet with stays in it?

In short, we felt it performed better and weighed less. Another important distinction is our frame is more of an "avoidance" frame than a "conformance frame". We conform a little bit near the shoulders so that we can narrow the frame width, but for the most part we provide a structure around your body instead of trying to conform or fight with your body. The articulation in the suspension moves well with you so it works very well lightly loaded for a beefy suspension but it also provides support at higher weights. Important note: we did not set out to follow other designs at all, we really started as a ground up build. Prior to designing our packs I used a variety or packs from good older dual stay packs to external framed packs. I even had a couple odd, small framed externals from a thrift store I tried to make work and had good luck with in testing. All those factors went into our design.
Thanks
Kevin

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had several Bozeman made Danas, a Canadian Bora, a McHale, several Kelty's, Ospreys, and many packs of several other brands.

Construction and materials strong enough to handle packing meat and comfort under meat packing loads are the two major things that make or break a western hunting pack.

There aren't many that can chin both bars.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I have so many dang packs......it's hard to pick. I generally rotate between a Kifaru Late Season, a HMG 4400 windrider, Gossamer Gear Mariposa, Stone Glacier Cirque, ULA Catalyst. I haven't gotten into the Mystery Ranch collection lately (Metcalf, Crew Cab, G6, Glacier), but I have loved them.
I have a gear addiction
Don

Deepshax

WKR
Im using a McHale LBP for an other than hunting pack. So far I really like it (about 300 mi on it since it was delivered earlier this summer) even though it is about a pound heavier (and 3x more $$$) than other "UL" options. Before jumping into the McHale I was seriously looking into the ZPacks Arc Blast/Haul, Katabatic Gear Onni, and the HMG packs. I felt the McHale would have better durability, better load support, better hip belt, better comfortability, and built to my body spec (plus Spectra! ;) ). I have a couple different frame options, including a light option (stays 1.2oz per) for 20lb and under loads. Even being a heavier pack (50oz) I can still get my 3 season base weight (Mid-Atlantic/North East) to just over 10 pounds.

Ive not owned/used one of the lighter pack options, so I cant really compare as to how they stack up - maybe Ill try to find a good deal over the winter and see how they compare 30lbs and under.

*I know a lot of people love the Arc Blast, but thought it was funny/odd reading raving reviews and the accompanying pictures/videos of the people wearing it had the should straps wrapped around their back and the load lifters at a negative angle - that couldn't be comfortable, could it? lol

Last edited:
OP
S
For those with arcteryx bora experience, do you have any insight as to which is better between older arcteryx bora packs and the new bora ar series packs?

Fedster

FNG
I was just curious, does anyone here use a "non hunting" backpack for any of their outdoor pursuits, including hunting?

No. I have Seek Outside packs and I just use those for *everything*. Specifically I have 1 Revolution frame and I normally carry a Peregrine pack. For big stuff I have a 4800 Fortress and Day Talon.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
For those with arcteryx bora experience, do you have any insight as to which is better between older arcteryx bora packs and the new bora ar series packs?

I’d go with the older made in Canada bora. The new ones are about 700cad, used older ones go for around 100 to 200cad. The older ones are also bigger, I think they made up to a 90L pack, where as the new ones go up to 65L. I haven’t handled a new one but I can’t imagine them being anymore durable, the older ones are bomb proof, and super comfy if fitted correctly. Only downside is weight. Not sure how heavy but not even close to lightweight.

I rock a baltoro 3500 every once in a while. It’s actually a pretty nice pack unless I want to haul a bunch of meet. I usually use it these days when I’m cross country skiing pulling a pulk

I once used it packed to the brim with a three man limit of ptarmigan (45 birds).

For not being crazy expensive it is really light and probably my most comfortable pack.

Just not really set up for camp and meat on your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk