"non hunting" backpacks

I was just curious, does anyone here use a "non hunting" backpack for any of their outdoor pursuits, including hunting? If so, which ones are best? This is for some research I am doing, as I am happy with my SG setup, so just wondering from an information gathering standpoint. Thanks,

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
I use my SG for all sorts of stuff. Climbing, backpacking, travel, skiing, work, etc. but also use an Osprey Mutant 38 that I’ve added arrows to the frame sheet for more support for all the above mentioned activities too.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 1990’s Kelty external aluminum frame pack. Yes, I am way behind the times. Just can’t give it up.

Rowdy

FNG
I use a Dan McHale internal frame pack, have used it for about everything since 2006 it's been my go to pack. Recently picked up a SG Avail for a day pack. Love my McHale but when I purchased it internal frame packs then weren't what they are now.

"non hunting" backpacks

My son and I are using MR Glacier packs with Kifaru Grabit added. It’s rated to 90 pounds and I have comfortably trained with 70 in it. I also have used the grab it and additional straps to carry my lone wolf stand and 4 muddy ladder sections very comfortably for whitetails. It’s large for a pack in a tree but so much better than anything else I have used to transport my stands. It’s also less than 1/2 the price of a comparably sized Metcalf for about the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a big McHale pack for hunting (best big load pack ever made.) I have a smaller McHale pack for long distance backpacking.

I use Hyperlite Mountain Gear and Cilo Gear packs for climbing, skiing, and ultralight backpacking.

Recently bought a Seek Outside pack for hunting. Will be interesting to see if it will replace my McHale.

tater

WKR
I used an Arcteryx Bora 80 (Canadian made) for years as a hunting and general purpose hiking/snowshoeing pack. I put a Kifaru belt on it and found it to be a solid "all arounder". It hauled more than one boned out critter over the years.
I have a Hill People Gear Qui-Ya that i keep in my truck with my seasonal gear (boots/layers/survival gear) that is showing promise as a capable load hauler as well. I will run it this winter cougar hunting and get a better idea of its capabiities.
During hunting season my Kifaru is on my back most of the time though.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'll respectfully disagree with two folks above. I have a McHale SARC I bought back in 1995. No question at the time it was the best of the best. It will last several generations.

Having said that, nowadays, I'll take my Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 every single day over my McHale which has now been relegated to a spare backpack for visitors. In my opinion, there's nothing the McHale every did that the Revolution can't do at a fraction of the weight and a fraction of the price. My McHale, over any time in the past 20 years, was never as comfortable as my Seek Outside has been from the get go. Other opinions may vary.

To answer the OP's question, I would look at one of the integrated-frame Seek Outside packs for a mainstay backpack and maybe a Zpacks Blast for an overnight featherweight pack. If I didn't own a backpack and were buying today, knowing what I know now, I'd buy the SO Revolution 6,300 (maybe the Unaweep 6,300 if you were unequivocal in never needing the breakaway feature) and a Zpacks Arc Blast and call it a day.

If funds didn't allow the two, I'd get the Fortress/Unaweep 6,300 and never look back.

OP
S
Thanks wiawb,
I am not in the market for a pack right now, just trying to learn about the evolution of pack designs and what some of the best designs have been over the years, for any outdoor application.

Look into Dana designs. They were bought and mystery ranch is now Dana designs 2.0. If you were in the market for a hiking or hunting pack, you could do a lot worse than a Dana designs teraplane. Their pre-acquisition packs were top of the heap in the late 90s and early 2000s for backpackers.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ha, I keep these in my rotation depending on the activity.
Exo mountain 3500
Cilogear work sack 45l
Granite Gear 3400
Cilogear 20l
Salomon 12l

I packed a few critters in my Arcteryx boa, before the exo came into the stable.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
My all purpose pack is an Osprey Aether 60, it's a real light weight pack that still seems to handle a decent load comfortably.
It sure was nice to drop a few pounds of empty pack weight over my older heavy duty pack.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Arcterx bora 80 here. The Canadian made one. Bomb proof pack. Super comfortable. Use it for everything from day hunts to overnight trips. Sometimes I use my bora 40 if I’m not hunting. Awesome packs.

OP
S
Part of what sparked my interest in the history of backpacks is this shift from external frame, to internal and even no frame and then this type of hybrid frame we see on many hunting packs. At the store, I saw a couple different brand new packs that were completely external frame, or a very rigid aluminium frame but sitting inside the bag. These packs are marketed towards the backpacking crowd, and maybe I just havent been paying attention, but I havent seen these brands use such a frame for a long time.

As for myself, backpacking and hunting dont coincide due to hunting being on strictly private land and roads always being so close. So with my SG setup, it is extremely overbuilt for backpacking, yet lighter than most backpacks out there.

SARC was not (still isn't) McHale's load monster pack. The load monster pack was the INEX. Different hip belt, different frame, different design and purpose from the SARC, which was more of a climbing pack. I have both the SARC and INEX. Completely different packs as far as performance and intended use. INEX is made for humping huge, heavy loads, and it accomplishes that better than anything I've used. (Which includes Seek Outside, McHale SARC, Dana Design, Gregory, and others.)

Glad to hear you like the Seek Outside packs. I have one (the Brooks.) I'm hoping it will become my new go-to hunting pack. It actually has many suspension characteristics that are similar to the McHale INEX. It's half the weight of the INEX, so even if it's not quite equivalent in the load carrying department, it still may get the nod. Won't be able to make that call until I've done more with it.

I'll respectfully disagree with two folks above. I have a McHale SARC I bought back in 1995. No question at the time it was the best of the best. It will last several generations.

Having said that, nowadays, I'll take my Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 every single day over my McHale which has now been relegated to a spare backpack for visitors. In my opinion, there's nothing the McHale every did that the Revolution can't do at a fraction of the weight and a fraction of the price. My McHale, over any time in the past 20 years, was never as comfortable as my Seek Outside has been from the get go. Other opinions may vary.

To answer the OP's question, I would look at one of the integrated-frame Seek Outside packs for a mainstay backpack and maybe a Zpacks Blast for an overnight featherweight pack. If I didn't own a backpack and were buying today, knowing what I know now, I'd buy the SO Revolution 6,300 (maybe the Unaweep 6,300 if you were unequivocal in never needing the breakaway feature) and a Zpacks Arc Blast and call it a day.

If funds didn't allow the two, I'd get the Fortress/Unaweep 6,300 and never look back.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya when I think about my stone glacier it is way over built and heavy for light weight backpacking. I just switched from the xcurve to the evo frame and if I went bare bones I can be at 2lbs 13 oz that’s the frame, dry bag and one belt pocket. Crazy light for hunting yet almost 2lbs heavy by ul thru hiking standards.

I've used several different packs and have done a lot of mountaineering, backpacking, ice climbing, etc. If needed I wouldnt hesitate to use one for hunting in a pinch (except maybe the Variant as its' bright red): Here are some of my favs:
Osprey Aether 70 - great lighter weight pack for backpacking
Osprey Variant 52 - Mountaineering and climbing. I stuffed 5 days of gear for a 50 mile climbing trip in this thing and it held up great
Cold Cold World Chernobyl 50 - My main ice climbing pack. Made in Vermont or New Hampshire
TAD Gear FAST Pack EDC - It's an older one but I've used it for day hunts and alllll sorts of other things.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used to use an Osprey Vector series from the 90's for hunting.

Regarding non hunting, really our Divide is a non hunting backpack, but it will carry a hunting load out fine, same with our exposure

Thanks
Kevin