Best pack for Tall Guys

satchamo

WKR
So I just got back from my 3rd season running a Metcalf on a NICE frame. I'm 6'4" and even with the lift kit, I can't seem to get the load lifters up to a functional level. Any other tall guys have this issue? Love the system otherwise.

I'm thinking hard about picking up a kifaru duplex hunter frame as they make them up to 26" and running that. Would this be a better option for a tall guy?

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
6'5", I've had experience with the EXO, Seek Outside, and Stone Glacier x-curve. All three are super comfortable anywhere under the 65 lb mark, over that and the EXO feels like it runs out of lift ability and yolk adjustment. With the stay extensions on the SO and yolk adjust-ability it remains extremely comfortable above the 65lb load range. My only gripe with the SO is the strap configuration seems a little cumbersome. I will admit that I have the least experience with this pack so it may just be a familiarity issue thus far. The SG feels like the SO when I get over that 65lb mark at shorter distances, for longer packouts the frame and my back don't get along very well. Not a support issue, just a rub in the wrong place issue, if that makes any sense.
Personally, if the EXO had a bit more yolk adjustment and some frame extension options it would be my "go to" for an all around, every situation pack. But out of the three I've tried, the SO has the best feel all around and widest range of customization for hauling/hunting. Hope the input helps.

I am 6'5" as well but don't have the experience with as many packs as WyoHnt. I have a 26" Kifaru Duplex (old style). I have a long torso (only a 34" inseam) and it fits great and handles weight very well. Before that I was using a Tenzing and before that a Cabela's Alaskan frame. The difference in comfort is night an day. But if I were to buy again, I have heard Kifaru will make a 28" frame by request.

Higher end packs are becoming a lot like boots. There is not a one pack will fit all. Some people love the Kifaru frame (I am one of them) some just are not comfortable in it and prefer EXO or SO or SG or MR...... Good thing about these packs is they have a pretty good re-sale / used market so you can get one and try it for a year or so and sell to try something else if needed.

-dan

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Try the mystery ranch pintler
That's the same frame system as the metcalf so I'd be in the same place. I know they changed the frame a bit from my NICE but quite frankly I think the NICE frame is better than the guidelight. My hunting partner runs the pintler so I have done a side by side.

Jbehredt

WKR
Only 6’2” here but in the same boat with my exo. Have all the parts here to put my exo bags on a 26” duplex hunter. Made the decision while hunting this year, the second with my exo k2. At or near 50 lbs and the lifter straps run straight back.

Sold my MR and NICE frame. Could not get the thing comfortable. My 26” Kifaru duplex is my go to. I’m 6’4 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTSabo

WKR
Im 6'4" 200lbs. I run a seek outside with the 4" extensions making it 28". I find it super comfortable, more so then the 26" kifaru i tried.

aion2come

WKR
I'm 6'2" with a long torso. Have used both Kifaru and Exo. Run the Kifaru for heavier loads for the very reasons you stated. That said, I've talked to Exo and have been told this problem is being addressed this year. May be worth waiting to see what they are coming out with.

bsnedeker

WKR
Since we are sharing: I'm just a hair under 6'3", but I have come to find out that I have a short torso and long legs. I bought a 26" frame from Kifaru based on my height, but I think I'm going to switch it out to a 24" as the 26" rides really high on me and I found myself getting hung up going through brush from time to time. Frame was awesome other than that!

MTSabo

WKR
I am 6'7" and I am using the SO with the 4" extensions. My height limits this pack out for me, but it is comfortable. I would love to see a 28" frame though

Dont know how old your pack is but this is copied from seek outsides web site

Adjustable frame height - Our standard frame is 24" tall. By using 2 or 4 inch frame extensions you can change your frame height from 24" to 26" or 28". This ability allows you to adjust the fit of the pack to your torso height, and also tailor your comfort (tall frames carry heavy loads well, etc).

Conroy

WKR
Dont know how old your pack is but this is copied from seek outsides web site

Adjustable frame height - Our standard frame is 24" tall. By using 2 or 4 inch frame extensions you can change your frame height from 24" to 26" or 28". This ability allows you to adjust the fit of the pack to your torso height, and also tailor your comfort (tall frames carry heavy loads well, etc).

My mistake. My pack has the 4 inch extensions and is 28". I was trying to quote the post above about the Kifaru frame at 28" by NJDiverDan. I am not always the most computer savvy, especially on my phone earlier.

MTSabo

WKR
My mistake. My pack has the 4 inch extensions and is 28". I was trying to quote the post above about the Kifaru frame at 28" by NJDiverDan. I am not always the most computer savvy, especially on my phone earlier.

I just thought you may of had some older one and needed an upgrade haha. I did hear kifaru made special order 28 if you call. I just didnt like how it barreled up with 90+ lbs when i tried one.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Well I just measured my torso.. assuming I did it right, I'm 20.5 from your c7 to the top of your hips.

It's looking like Kifaru will be my best option.

Not sure what frame height is best. Open to suggestions but in the end I'm likely to call kifaru for the final answer.

I am 6'5" as well but don't have the experience with as many packs as WyoHnt. I have a 26" Kifaru Duplex (old style). I have a long torso (only a 34" inseam) and it fits great and handles weight very well. Before that I was using a Tenzing and before that a Cabela's Alaskan frame. The difference in comfort is night an day. But if I were to buy again, I have heard Kifaru will make a 28" frame by request.

Higher end packs are becoming a lot like boots. There is not a one pack will fit all. Some people love the Kifaru frame (I am one of them) some just are not comfortable in it and prefer EXO or SO or SG or MR...... Good thing about these packs is they have a pretty good re-sale / used market so you can get one and try it for a year or so and sell to try something else if needed.

-dan
I am 6'8" 215lbs. Kifaru sent me a 26" frame while I waited for my 28" to get built. Outside of carrying weight (over 65 to 70 lbs maybe) I liked the smaller frame better. I always had the load lifters on the top notch with the 26 while on the 28 you actually get some height when you weight the pack. The 28 was tougher to set up the shoulder straps and load lifters. The 28 works well now that it's "tuned" but the stays stick up and get in the way of your head when you crawl under a tree branch for example. Plus no lightweight stays for the 28. If you're a good hunter and always have meat on (over 80 lbs in my experience) then maybe the comfort of the 28 is worth the maneuverability lost vs the 26.

dmm08300

Lil-Rokslider
At 6'7", I have the kifaru 28" frame and it is perfect for me, first frame I've ever tried on where the hip belt actually sits on my hips not what seems like halfway up my back

6’7”here
Kuiu XTall Frame 26” (2017+) with icon hip belt (previous gen) and Apex shoulder straps.
I’ve done 85lbs in it and it handles it well, take the time to properly set the load lifter angle to the 45 degrees as well as the anchor points to be centred on the tops of the straps for your body. This is huge.

I’ll be upgrading my hip belt this next season.