SG sky 5900 question

sr80

WKR
Curious if a 65mm angled razor spotter and rain pain and jacket would fit into the front zippered pocket on the 5900? The rain gear is pretty packable, Kuiu chugach pants and arcteryx jacket.

marktole

WKR
I would have to venture a guess that it would.

I ran a Sky 5900 for a week or so this year to try it out. In that front pocket I packed my 65mm Swaro and all my miscellaneous items (gloves, beanie, TP, food, water filter, etc.) with room to spare.

I would think that if you took all the misc. items out, there would be plenty of room left over for the rain gear.

3forks

WKR
My 65mm Swaro ATX and my Sitka Dewpoint rain jacket and pants fit in the front pocket.

The only variable I have found is that what you place in the bag behind the pocket can affect how well your scope fits in the pocket and the ability to get it in and out.

If you load the bag so full that it pushes on the back pannel of the pocket so it's less flat, or you put something hard that can't be compressed (like your stove) behind the pocket, it affects how your scope fits in the pocket.

I wouldn't sweat the pocket size too much though. I've loaded my 5900 for a week plus trip and had my scope in the pocket. I've seen some guys keep their scope attached to their tripod and pack it on the side... I don't do that but it's one way to create space. Also, I run the hydro lid, and even with 2.5 liters of water, had room in the lid for rain gear and other odds and ends. Lastly, if your really stuck on space, a dry bag on the load shelf really expands the capacity of the 5900.

The only real drawback of putting your scope in the front pocket with a very full bag is if you want to strap a bow to the bag. The scope makes you need to strap your bow so that it doesn't ride flat. It's totally doable and doesn't really affect how the pack carries, but if you want to carry your bow back there, it is a factor.

Last edited:

frankrb3

WKR
Curious if a 65mm angled razor spotter and rain pain and jacket would fit into the front zippered pocket on the 5900? The rain gear is pretty packable, Kuiu chugach pants and arcteryx jacket.

It should fit no problem. I can get my straight 65mm razor plus my compact medium outdoorsman tripod with the pan head into that pocket. Normally i carry my rain jacket, rain pants, beanie, gloves, gaiters and tags in that pocket for quick access to stuff that I may want or need when moving. Usually I’m going to be in one spot for a while if I am going to set up my tripod and spotter so I don’t mind having to dig them out of the main compartment. I lived out out of my sky 5900 all summer long as a wildlife technician and its now my favorite pack for absolutely every hunting scenario for up to 5 days.

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

You can easily fit a 65mm in the front pocket. I am able to get my ATX85mm in there. It is tight to say the least, but it will work. If you are going to be putting extra clothing in the front pocket the spotter should not slide around. They also making a spotting scope cover that attaches to the bag as well.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
Now that I actually have the pack in hand that pocket it pretty big! Shouldnt have an issue fitting a spotter and sitting pad with rain gear. Thanks all