Pack Size Question - 12 day mountain to ocean hunt in BC

I've been fortunate enough that all of my Alaska and Rocky Mountain hunts have been from a base of some sort - all the way from a basic tent to a nice lodge or with horses, vehicles, boats, etc. Net, a big day pack is all I ever needed. Lots of walking, but never carrying more than extra clothes, food, etc.

That has now changed. My friends are doing a 12 day hunt next September in Northern BC for 12 days. We are starting at an alpine lake and doing a goat hunt, then hiking down and rafting/hunting to the ocean. Packing all our food, one man tents, bags, etc the entire trip. And bringing down the goat meat in the bags. And packing in waders, overboots for after the mountain part.

I assume I need a BIG pack. I was looking at a SG Talus or Guide, and maybe a Kifaru Fulcrum.

Assume these would carry everything? Probably could have to strap the meat on the outside.

Good news, the rafts will carry the meat and cover distance for us one we are out of the mountains.

Thoughts?

Kotaman

WKR
The Fulcrum and Guides are BEASTS and will carry anything most can carry. The Talus might be a little tight for what you’re doing, but would probably work as well. Three great choices.

Graves14

WKR
Take a look at an Exo 5500 as well. That pack is more like 6200-6400ci and can fit a TON of gear but will pack down nice and tight if you decide to use it for day hunts too. Plus it’s extremely comfortable.

OP
A
I was looking at that as well. It doesn't appear to have articulated hip pads. Does that make a big difference?

Rokwiia

WKR
A Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 or Saker. Add a top lid and belt pouches and you've got a monster of a pack that is also lightweight.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think your on the right track with what your looking at. From the Kifaru side that I’ve used the Fulcrum and Crater are what I’d check out. I had the AMR also which is about the same as the crater but I like the crater layout a little better. I have videos of all on the Rokslide YouTube. The Fulcrum would be more for strapping awkward loads on with the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Second vote for taking a look at the Crater...that bag has ridiculous amounts of space, as well as a meat shelf and lots of options for strapping stuff to the outside if you need to for some reason. I used it for real for the first time on my 9 day elk hunt this year where I was mostly using it as a daypack, so I can tell you that it sucks down pretty well when you aren't at full capacity, just get yourself some Web Dominators to help you deal with all the straps, they were a godsend!

OP
A
Thanks for all the input. I like the new waterproof Kifaru bag as well. My first step is going to the Kifaru store on November 14th while I'm in Boulder on a business trip (heading there this week as well, but no time to slip out).

Is this trip with Angus ?Sounds like a great trip. I would look for the 7k size bag. A big goat is 300lbs.
Don't forget about dry bags for your gear and rifle. Ive done alot of trips down rivers and hitting a small rock or rapid wrong can toss you over quick

ljalberta

WKR
I like at least 7000 ci or more for long hunts. Sounds like an amazing time though! Can't wait to hear about it.

BRWNBR

WKR
There is no pack to big for trips like this. I use a Barney’s pack for all my long distance excursions. External frame, maybe not as popular with the trendy pack crowd but tested beyond what my body ever wants to do. Loads over 200lbs, dropped off cliffs, never tore ripped bent or broke. 20 years under these bags. The simplicity floors me now that I see some of these new packs. I keep saying I’m gonna try a new fancy pack but every time I have a client with one I just shake my head and say no thanks.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
I live in BC and do these kind of trips annually. The Fulcrum is the only pack I'd go with, currently have the AMR and it's not big enough especially if your packing an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I've been on a number of 1 to 2 week Alaska trips. My go-to pack has been a Kifaru duplex with EMR2 bag. A guide lid is an nice addition for quick and easy access to raingear and other gear. It looks like the Fulcrum is fairly similar to the EMR2 in size? I've hauled out camp, meat, weapon, and lifesized sheep, goat, or bear capes with mine. I wouldn't consider a pack smaller than 7,000 cu in! It's always better having a super large bag that can be cinched down rather than too small! The nice thing about Kifaru is you can buy additional pouches, lid, etc to customize your pack. If I wouldn't have bought Kifaru I likely would have gotten Stone Glacier.

OP
A
I tried the new ultra light frame with the largest Muskeg at the store on Wednesday. I think it's definitely big enough and like the material for the wet area we are going to be in.

I did feel that the lumbar pad pressed to much on my lower back. It felt better when I pulled the top of the bag tight with my upper back, but it was still much harder than I expected. Is this normal? I had the right size belt. I should have tried the tactical frame. It appeared to be padded a bit different on the back. Maybe that would help? I will head back there in November.

I also think I'm going to order an Exo and try their frame. And then maybe a SG. Also thinking about an external frame bag. I know Barney's are the best and guides in Alaska swear by them. I tried on a $250 external frame bag at Cabela's today and was amazed at how comfortable it was versus the Kifaru. Maybe I need to load both down. So that got me thinking the Barney's might be even better.

Thoughts?

ljalberta

WKR
I thought my Kifaru lumbar pad was too thick originally. Then, once I got loaded up and weighted down it's been absolutely perfect. You can also remove a layer of padding from the lumbar pads if you'd like - at least with the Hunting Frame you can. The absolute best thing though would be ordering the Exo/SG/Kifaru to have all at once and be able to load them all up and see how they work for you. Everything is comfortable with 40 or 50 pounds I've found. So I'd make sure you load it with exactly how much weight you think you'll be carrying, as well as how much you'd be carrying with a load of meat. Keep the one you love mots and return the others.

I'd be careful not to judge a pack based on empty or lightweight comfort though.