22 Mag on 24 or 22' frame?

codym

WKR
I'm looking for a setup for my wife to use as a day pack/ backpacking setup, but also would be nice to use as a daypack setup for myself. I'm currently running a 24' tac frame with and EMRII and guide lid when needed, its great but overkill for day hunts. I'm 5'10 and the 24' frame seems just right for me. For my wife I was thinking the 22' frame would probably be better for her at 5'3 but not so great for me, or conversly a 24' frame better for me not great for her. I was considering a 22 mag on a 22' hunter frame with composite stays or the 24' ultralight frame with composite stays. Also considering a woodsman or nomad II or even possibly trying to retro fit the exo 3500 on a K frame. Any suggestions? Most likely I will use the pack more than my wife, but like all things in life if she is not completely happy with it she won't want to use it so her comfort trumps mine in this case.

wesfromky

WKR
I have a 22 mag on a 22' frame and love it, though I am 5'6". There are some older woodsman's and 22mags in the rhino den right now, so that might make it easier.

OP
C

codym

WKR
Thanks for the heads up, I will be grabbing one of those, just need to decide on the frame

Jbehredt

WKR
Just a small note, the hunter is no longer available in 22”, only the tactical.
ETA. My wife picked up a 22 mag on a 22” frame this year. Absolutely loves it. She’s 5’4” and it’s perfect on her as a daypack with hauling option. She was able to easily get two nights out of it carrying all of her own gear.
8b8bd01e2be3bb2cd79029ab29a9a493.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C

codym

WKR
Just a small note, the hunter is no longer available in 22”, only the tactical.
ETA. My wife picked up a 22 mag on a 22” frame this year. Absolutely loves it. She’s 5’4” and it’s perfect on her as a daypack with hauling option. She was able to easily get two nights out of it carrying all of her own gear.
8b8bd01e2be3bb2cd79029ab29a9a493.jpg

Good stuff thanks!. Most likely I will be carring our food and shelter so she just needs to carry her sleeping system and water. I think 3-5 days in the back country tops.

frankrb3

WKR
I’m 6’ tall and have the 22 mag on a 22” tactical frame and I love it. I don’t think you will be disappointed with the 22” frame.

Cranman

FNG
Would a 22" frame work for me, 6'1", as long as I'm not hauling big loads? Am just looking for a carry on, day pack, shed hunting pack while traveling.
Thanks,

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
I say get the 24" frame. I know the bag was kind of designed around the 22" frame but I use mine on a 26 and it works great. I'm 6'4" 220 for reference. Works great as a day pack and I can see how someone would easily be able to extend it to a couple days. I just added 2 extra compression straps to the frame behind the bag and it worked perfectly for packing out a buck and was able to still get the top slid over the frame like the load wasn't there. The side pockets are great for a spotter in 1 and a tripod in the other. Awesome bag for sure!

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same exact question and am looking for a pack for the wife I can use as a day pack too. Thanks for the post!

I just got a 22 mag to put on my 24” frame because my reckoning was overkill for day hunts. The 22 mag is absolutely freakin perfect for this application. The amount of pockets, the easy access to everything, while also retaining a tripod and spotting scope pocket make it the ultimate day pack in my mind. It fits very well on the 24” frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cranman

FNG
I just picked up a used 22mag on a 22" hunter frame. Really like the setup for what I want to use it for. Not planning on any heavy loads with it. The 22mag seems like the perfect bag for a daypack.

rbljack

WKR
I bought a 22 inch tactical frame for the wife this year, and we put a woodsman on it. She seemed to like it that set up a lot. It can compress down fairly tight, so it can work pretty good as a day pack, and still enough room to pack for a 3 day hunt in the backcountry easy enough. I wish they offered the Duplex light and Ultralight frames in a 22 inch though....because she didn't need the heavier duty tactical frame, but she is 5'3" and I felt the 22 inch frame would be best for her. She didn't like the frame sticking up above her head too high when she tried my 24 in frame on before we purchased her set up. Lastly, I went with the woodsman for her because she didn't need the spotting scope/tripod side pockets, and the woodsman is a full pound lighter than the 22 mag according to the Kifaru web site. Hope that helps.

Last edited: