How did you pick your pack?

kravguy

WKR
How in the world did you guys pick out your pack? With all the great selections out there I'm having a heck of a time deciding. Don't really have a place to try some out. Did you guys order a few in and return the ones you didn't like? Or did you just take a chance and hope you liked what you picked?

I've been eyeing up the Exo 3500, the new outdoorsman spur 50, Seekoutside Peregrine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How in the world did you guys pick out your pack? With all the great selections out there I'm having a heck of a time deciding. Don't really have a place to try some out. Did you guys order a few in and return the ones you didn't like? Or did you just take a chance and hope you liked what you picked?

I've been eyeing up the Exo 3500, the new outdoorsman spur 50, Seekoutside Peregrine.

I tried a few on, read a lot, and tried to do the best I could. I tried on an exo as I live in Boise. I tried on a few eberlestock packs at sportsmans. I tried on mystery ranch at another local place. I also checked out different places when I traveled for work. Lastly, I was able to try on a few at a local sportsmans show. The exo felt the best so that is the one I bought.

My only regret is buying the 2000 instead of the 3500. I mostly day hunt, but my rain gear is bulky and absorbs a fair amounts of room in the pack.

In short, its trial and error. See if there are some members on here local to you. Hit up local shops and if you have a chance to travel try to find places to try on packs. Then jump in and hope you get it right. I do know some buy a couple different and then return one. Then you're only out shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR

Kifaru's logo is a badass rhino.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just ordered one and hoped. I researched a lot and picked a good company who stood behind their product and offered a good selection. I picked Kifaru for their high reviews and they stand behind their products. I picked the woodsman because the size fit my style of hunting.

Good question !

I was agonizing over this last year. For reference at 6'5 and 270 pounds I wanted a pack that would fit me well. I also wanted a "meat shelf" or Sling to get the weight up high and tight to my back where it should be. This , at the time, eliminated Kifaru. I talked to Steve Speck at EXO and he was very honest explaining to me at my size I was going to have to carry more weight on my shoulders than someone shorter would. I really like the bag layout of the EXO but at 25" the frame was a little short for me. I looked at Seek and while their packs adjust I didn't like the bolt through the strap adjustment. So I settled on a Stone Glacier. 26" frame, In my mind the inch makes a difference, and the KRUX EVO frame is lighter weight but capable of as big a load as I wanted to carry. I bought the R3 5900 bag because I wanted a lid and an easy access compartment for raingear, head lamp, snacks, maps, etc. I also wanted to be able to access the big bag without removing the lid or undoing the snow collar. The bag is BIG, so is the lid. I ran no lid and cinched down the bag in day mode with no problems. I wish it had longer straps to adjust load lifters and shoulder straps, the zippers are a little load until they get broken in a bit but other than that I had no complaints.

My deciding factors were:
Meat shelf
Frame length for my torso
bag configuration
weight of frame and bag

BRWNBR

WKR
I went with a pack design that has remained pretty much unchanged for decades and guides in Alaska use the same pack for years and years. That’s a testimony to durability and functionality. I didn’t want a new style pack that was untested.
I didn’t want a modular pack, I wanted a simple buckle system(my pack has 8) I didn’t want 500’ of extra webbing straps rolled up in annoying Velcro straps, I wanted a bag big enough to fit a moose quarter or a ten foot brown bear and still be contained and not hanging all over the place. I have now owned five or six of these packs and cannot count how much weight each one has carried over the the last 20 years. They are not for every application, but for long trips and heavy weight they are the ticket.

Bughalli

WKR
Tough question and it took me over a year to decide and pull the trigger. Damn expensive, but the search for perfect boots is worse.

I tried on Kifaru, EXO, Kuiu, Badlands, Stone Glacier and eberlstock. Kifaru, Kuiu and EXO I visited their home office and they sized me right there until they got the fit right. I tried to wear them with 60lbs in each, but it wasn't always easy and hard to do apples to apples comparison, especially given the time lapse between each. They're all pretty high quality, but frames in the Kifaru, EXO, Kuiu and Stone Glacier really felt solid. Best thing to do is hit up one of the bigger shows where they all attend.

For each of those brands there was something in the design I didn't care for...not really negative, just splitting hairs on little features. But there are things to look for and decide on. i.e. do you have a straight back or sway back. How long in your torso and how well does each pack accommodate. Do you want tons for features, straps and pockets or go minimalist. Do you want a load shelf? Do you want it to be bomb proof? Are you buying it for the 90% of the time you're using it or the edge case (i.e. 3 day hunts vs once in a lifetime 14 day hunt) or (heavy loads long distances vs occasional heavy loads short distances). Do you want it light weight? Modular bags and/or pockets? There's pros/cons to each decision. Really "fit" is most important, but also super hard to test because you won't really know until you carry a moderate to heavy load a long distance with vertical....which lets be honest, that rarely happens.

I never got to try Seek Outside, but I really wanted to because I am a fan of their frame and the modular design of adjusting the height of the load lifters. The physics of it make sense to me. I tend to pay close attention to design details for functionality and materials. I couldn't find any Mystery Ranch packs, but felt they were very similar in many of those tradeoffs as Kifaru. Kifaru was really stiff, felt like a board and didn't fit my back, heavy pack, tons of options for bags and accessories, nice hip belt, but maybe over-featured for me. The EXO packs were sweet and my second choice, but that upside down U shaped titanium frame just seemed like something could happen to it. Yet I've never heard of issues. Hip belt was comfortable, but maybe too basic. Kuiu was super light weight, nice packs, great value, frame seemed stiff, but their carbon frame has plenty of doubters too. The hip belt didn't sit well for some reason. In the end I went Stone Glacier. So far I'm super happy with it. Minimalist, light weight, great load shelf, very nice hip belt, etc. Just wish it came in camp. Is it really better than others, who knows, but given all the tradeoff decisions it matched up best with my criteria. I will say this and I assume this comment represents most of these packs, having a quality pack really made a big difference. I was using a high end mountaineering pack in the past and the SG pack was a big improvement....way more than I expected. Not just in carrying heavy loads, I expected that, but also just how comfortable it felt hiking in general with camp on my back, covering distance. Now I feel like my old pack was a piece of *)&(^& and I should have upgraded sooner.

Good luck!

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought mine a couple years ago I couldn’t decide between Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Eberlestock and at the time didn’t know about Stone Glacier and EXO for sure was nowhere on my radar. What initially sold me was once I found out that Kifaru is 100% made in the USA. So then I called there and talked with Aron and he set me up with what he thought would be the best for what I was going to be doing. I’ve been happy ever since. I have never used any of the other companies products but have seen most of them in use and I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the top four with those being MR, EXO, SG and Kifaru. Just call each company and get their suggestions on what they feel would best suit your needs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty simple. I researched packs and narrowed things down to several models. I contacted the different manufacturers or vendors and ordered the packs I liked the best...letting them know I'd be doing a comparison and returning all but one. I got them all in and did a side-by-side evaluation. I loaded them up to 70 pounds and did short clean hikes. I spent about 3-5 days and made my selection. I returned the others in perfect and clean condition. I ended up with a pack by Mystery Ranch and it did exactly what I wanted. The best part was not wondering whether there was a better (for me) pack I'd missed.

Before buying my kifaru’s, I had used many different surplus brands and a fewer cheaper models. I moved up to nimrods wilderness system. Which is a great pack. But, that don’t work well for elk size loads. So, I went with Kifaru. Due simply to their belt reviews. Here’s the simple truth about packs. Certain ones fit certain people better. But, there is none that won’t do the job if you can. So, buy a pack made for what you need it for. Fit it correctly, and use it. Like I said, I knew my purchase was a lifetime e deal. I knew the belts were the mark everyone tried to replicate. So, I bought it. I e since bought other brands but, I sold them. All fine packs. But, none as comfortable under load.

FlyGuy

WKR
My advise to you is to narrow it down to a 2-3 reliable brands like Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, etc and then give each of them a call. All three brands are small enough that you are going to talk to a real person that actually knows what they are talking about. Explain what you plan to primarily use the pack for (day hunts, 1-3 night spike outs, 7-9 day extended trips...) and then let them narrow down their bag selection for you to just 2-3 bags that will fit your primary purpose. (After talking to them you might even be leaning to one brand based off of that customer service experience.) But, once you know the specific handful of bags to focus on things get a whole lot easier. THEN you can begin to factor in budget, and you can focus your on line research here on the forum to just those specific bags that are your top choices.

I went through this a couple years ago and I was quite a bit overwhelmed myself. living near Houston I am not surrounded by knowledgeable elk hunters with packs to try on or stores that carry any of the top tier packs.

I decided early on that I wanted a Kifaru based on the reviews I'd read here, but I was still overwhelmed with just their line and given the investment i wanted to feel confident I was making a good choice. Luckily I had to be in Denver for work so I went to their show room. Tort Life was there to help me with the frame size I needed, and then Aron walked in and stopped to help me go over bags to meet my needs. They were both really awesome. I ended up going with the reckoning and I love it. Great all around bag for day hunts to extended trips.

Good luck. The research is half the fun!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks to all for the tips. I've been doing my research which is what led me here. I've checked out all the websites, read thru the reviews here, and it's hard to eliminate something when I can't see it or use it myself. I'm going to keep at it, maybe wait till our sportsman show and hope a few of the companies I'm interested in show up, so I can check them out. If not, I'll bite the bullet and order 2-3 and return the rest.

I thought something would stand out to make this easier and it hasn't. Which then had me wondering how you guys narrowed it down.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Tough question and it took me over a year to decide and pull the trigger. Damn expensive, but the search for perfect boots is worse.

I tried on Kifaru, EXO, Kuiu, Badlands, Stone Glacier and eberlstock. Kifaru, Kuiu and EXO I visited their home office and they sized me right there until they got the fit right. I tried to wear them with 60lbs in each, but it wasn't always easy and hard to do apples to apples comparison, especially given the time lapse between each. They're all pretty high quality, but frames in the Kifaru, EXO, Kuiu and Stone Glacier really felt solid. Best thing to do is hit up one of the bigger shows where they all attend.

For each of those brands there was something in the design I didn't care for...not really negative, just splitting hairs on little features. But there are things to look for and decide on. i.e. do you have a straight back or sway back. How long in your torso and how well does each pack accommodate. Do you want tons for features, straps and pockets or go minimalist. Do you want a load shelf? Do you want it to be bomb proof? Are you buying it for the 90% of the time you're using it or the edge case (i.e. 3 day hunts vs once in a lifetime 14 day hunt) or (heavy loads long distances vs occasional heavy loads short distances). Do you want it light weight? Modular bags and/or pockets? There's pros/cons to each decision. Really "fit" is most important, but also super hard to test because you won't really know until you carry a moderate to heavy load a long distance with vertical....which lets be honest, that rarely happens.

I never got to try Seek Outside, but I really wanted to because I am a fan of their frame and the modular design of adjusting the height of the load lifters. The physics of it make sense to me. I tend to pay close attention to design details for functionality and materials. I couldn't find any Mystery Ranch packs, but felt they were very similar in many of those tradeoffs as Kifaru. Kifaru was really stiff, felt like a board and didn't fit my back, heavy pack, tons of options for bags and accessories, nice hip belt, but maybe over-featured for me. The EXO packs were sweet and my second choice, but that upside down U shaped titanium frame just seemed like something could happen to it. Yet I've never heard of issues. Hip belt was comfortable, but maybe too basic. Kuiu was super light weight, nice packs, great value, frame seemed stiff, but their carbon frame has plenty of doubters too. The hip belt didn't sit well for some reason. In the end I went Stone Glacier. So far I'm super happy with it. Minimalist, light weight, great load shelf, very nice hip belt, etc. Just wish it came in camp. Is it really better than others, who knows, but given all the tradeoff decisions it matched up best with my criteria. I will say this and I assume this comment represents most of these packs, having a quality pack really made a big difference. I was using a high end mountaineering pack in the past and the SG pack was a big improvement....way more than I expected. Not just in carrying heavy loads, I expected that, but also just how comfortable it felt hiking in general with camp on my back, covering distance. Now I feel like my old pack was a piece of *)&(^& and I should have upgraded sooner.

Good luck!

I lucked out in the boot department. I jumped on some Crispis while they were having a sale. Figured it couldn't hurt to try for the sale price. Those things fit my feet perfect, very comfortable, no break in period was needed. Pretty pleased about all that.

KurtR

WKR
I used an eberlestock one year then i called Aron after finding his number on this web site and now am addicted to kifaru

twall13

WKR
Depending on where you live you may be able to see if there are any Roksliders in your area willing to let you check out their pack in person. In my experience, this group is usually very willing to help a fellow 'slider out.
Thanks to all for the tips. I've been doing my research which is what led me here. I've checked out all the websites, read thru the reviews here, and it's hard to eliminate something when I can't see it or use it myself. I'm going to keep at it, maybe wait till our sportsman show and hope a few of the companies I'm interested in show up, so I can check them out. If not, I'll bite the bullet and order 2-3 and return the rest.

I thought something would stand out to make this easier and it hasn't. Which then had me wondering how you guys narrowed it down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a journey for me.. Went through quite a few in the process. 2 factors are key IMHO. 1) Fit, 2) the company / service

I think its hard to go wrong with the top companies in the industry. It's just a matter of what features you want, how it fits, and how you feel the company treats you. I am a big fan of Stone Glacier and Exo because they fit me well, have design features that match my style of hunting, and the customer service is great.

boom

WKR
i did it the hard way. bought a few and simply used them. the ones i liked stayed, some sold.

there is no way some dudes opinion on the internet was gonna meet my needs 100%. i needed a hands-on approach. i lost a few bucks doing it my way, which is regrettable.

jmez

WKR
My first pack was a budget purchase. I could only afford a production model carried at big box stores. Tried on Eberlestock, Badlands, and Blacks Creek. Ended up with the Eberlestock based on fit and layout. It served me well. Actually worked out really well. I knew nothing about packs when I bought it. Used it a few years until I could afford an upgrade. Learned a lot about what I liked, didn't like and what was important to me in a backpack. I sat down and made a list of the features that were important to me in order. Then made some phone calls and asked questions about the packs, and specifically the features that were important to me.

Had it narrowed down to 2. My hunting buddy owned one so he sent that one to me. I ordered the other one and then tested them side by side. Had my buddy not owned one of them I'd have just bought both and sent back the one I didn't like.

Yes, all the major name brands are good packs. They all have different features, strong points and weak points. If you make a list you should be able to at least get a starting point in ranking the pack/brand that best fits your needs.