Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought an AMR for my one and done bag purchase. I went with the standard lid over the guide lid and don't regret it at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    One bag, I would look for something light in the 5,000- 5500 range....but if you do long multi week backpack trips...I would go bigger as you might need more volume. This also depends on whether you are a kitchen sink kind of guy...or minimalist.

I do think the huge bags [8,000cuin] can screw up the balance when packing meat.

Bags compress...so the little bit of extra bag doesn't hurt you as a daypack.
    ďEveryone has a plan .......until they get punched in the faceĒ Mike Tyson

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.Ē ― Edwin Louis Cole

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíve used the MR Metcalf loads and switched over to SG. Have a discontinued 7400 center zip. It compresses down to nearly nothing, and in bivy mode its in that 3000cu in range. I also have their smallest bag which is 1700. I use the 7400 primarily, and have the ability to attach the serac(1700) and the lid(500) plus the shelf is still available. Can do an overnighter to a week long trip with rappelling gear. It is a minimalist bag though so not much for internal organization.

You can always make a big bag smaller, but you canít make a small bag bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exo 3500....I can compress it down to a day pack or go up to five days easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LandYacht View Post
    Kifaru KU5200 if you can find one. Lighter than any day pack you could use and can still carry 100+ pounds with no problem.

If 5200 isnít enough space you can add long pockets, pods, E&E, pouches, and/or a grab-it, to expand to as much room as you need for still less weight than any frame youíll look at.

Durability was the main concern with these packs. Most Kifaru packs are made of cordura, so there is little doubt to their longevity. The KU series was constructed of a material more similar in appearance to silnylon, however, let me be clear it is most definitely not silnylon. I just use that description to give some sort of reference if you have never seen one of these packs. The bottom of my pack is cordura, but the prototype packs were all KU material.

The longevity has not been an issue with my pack. Iíve put it through the ringer for darn close to 10 years. It has one small nick in the body that has never spread. These small nicks, it seems, were ultimately the demise of these packs. Not because of their structural nature, but rather the customerís desire to have an unblemished pack. Too many returns to have them repaired. That last bit is all from the Kifaru forum. The pack is a double layer material and was designed that way to anticipate these blemishes, but that was little solace it seems and warranty repair requests drove the pack to its demise.

You can read about them on the Kifaru forum for more information.

Anyway, I know itís old school to have an internal frame pack. Itís even more archaic to have a pack thatís not able to swap out bags, but itís my one and only and Iíve never wanted for more. If you are aiming for a light weight setup there is no other option, that I have found, that comes close to matching the load hauling capability with the down right silly light weight of this pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"But, But, But..... I just wish Kifaru would get serious about building a light weight pack."

If I hear another one of these type comments again, I might puke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like many of the posts above, I would buy an oversized pack with frame capable of 100+ lb loads. It's tough to beat either Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I have a Kifaru duplex with EMR2 bag that I use the most often. I also have a smaller Timberline bag that is a super nice bag but often collects dust because I often need the additional room in the larger bag. It's possible to haul camp, meat, cape, weapon, etc with one load. I can also cinch the bag tight to the frame for day hunting. It's nice having a large bag in case I happen to harvest a critter and need to pack it out the first trip...instead of heading back to the truck to grab a larger pack! Kifaru offers lots of options for different bags, accessories, lids, pouches that you can customize your pack. Kifaru offers several camo patterns....which SG didn't offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightwhite View Post
    Hands down for me it would be a kifaru 26Ē frame, a reckoning bag and a guide lid
    I run this exact system. Iíve owned several and this is by far most versatile packs a ton then get to camp unload and it cinches up into a very easy day pack