If you could have have only 1 bag....

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought an AMR for my one and done bag purchase. I went with the standard lid over the guide lid and don't regret it at all.

Beendare

WKR
One bag, I would look for something light in the 5,000- 5500 range....but if you do long multi week backpack trips...I would go bigger as you might need more volume. This also depends on whether you are a kitchen sink kind of guy...or minimalist.

I do think the huge bags [8,000cuin] can screw up the balance when packing meat.

Bags compress...so the little bit of extra bag doesn't hurt you as a daypack.

slick

WKR
I’ve used the MR Metcalf loads and switched over to SG. Have a discontinued 7400 center zip. It compresses down to nearly nothing, and in bivy mode its in that 3000cu in range. I also have their smallest bag which is 1700. I use the 7400 primarily, and have the ability to attach the serac(1700) and the lid(500) plus the shelf is still available. Can do an overnighter to a week long trip with rappelling gear. It is a minimalist bag though so not much for internal organization.

You can always make a big bag smaller, but you can’t make a small bag bigger.

Zbot

WKR
Exo 3500....I can compress it down to a day pack or go up to five days easy.

Kifaru KU5200 if you can find one. Lighter than any day pack you could use and can still carry 100+ pounds with no problem.

If 5200 isn’t enough space you can add long pockets, pods, E&E, pouches, and/or a grab-it, to expand to as much room as you need for still less weight than any frame you’ll look at.

Durability was the main concern with these packs. Most Kifaru packs are made of cordura, so there is little doubt to their longevity. The KU series was constructed of a material more similar in appearance to silnylon, however, let me be clear it is most definitely not silnylon. I just use that description to give some sort of reference if you have never seen one of these packs. The bottom of my pack is cordura, but the prototype packs were all KU material.

The longevity has not been an issue with my pack. I’ve put it through the ringer for darn close to 10 years. It has one small nick in the body that has never spread. These small nicks, it seems, were ultimately the demise of these packs. Not because of their structural nature, but rather the customer’s desire to have an unblemished pack. Too many returns to have them repaired. That last bit is all from the Kifaru forum. The pack is a double layer material and was designed that way to anticipate these blemishes, but that was little solace it seems and warranty repair requests drove the pack to its demise.

You can read about them on the Kifaru forum for more information.

Anyway, I know it’s old school to have an internal frame pack. It’s even more archaic to have a pack that’s not able to swap out bags, but it’s my one and only and I’ve never wanted for more. If you are aiming for a light weight setup there is no other option, that I have found, that comes close to matching the load hauling capability with the down right silly light weight of this pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"But, But, But..... I just wish Kifaru would get serious about building a light weight pack."

If I hear another one of these type comments again, I might puke.

Jimss

WKR
Like many of the posts above, I would buy an oversized pack with frame capable of 100+ lb loads. It's tough to beat either Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I have a Kifaru duplex with EMR2 bag that I use the most often. I also have a smaller Timberline bag that is a super nice bag but often collects dust because I often need the additional room in the larger bag. It's possible to haul camp, meat, cape, weapon, etc with one load. I can also cinch the bag tight to the frame for day hunting. It's nice having a large bag in case I happen to harvest a critter and need to pack it out the first trip...instead of heading back to the truck to grab a larger pack! Kifaru offers lots of options for different bags, accessories, lids, pouches that you can customize your pack. Kifaru offers several camo patterns....which SG didn't offer.

Dusty2426

WKR
Hands down for me it would be a kifaru 26” frame, a reckoning bag and a guide lid

I run this exact system. I’ve owned several and this is by far most versatile packs a ton then get to camp unload and it cinches up into a very easy day pack

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don't have experience with Stone Glacier, EXO, or mystery ranch but if you are doing primarily day hunts up to 3 day trips then I like the Kifaru Woodsman. If you are going in for 5-9 then I like the Reckoning. Longer trips than that is out of my league.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I pretty much agree with FlyGuy. I have both the Woodsman and the Reckoning. The Woodsman makes a better day pack but can be used for staying out a couple of nights, and the Reckoning is good for extended outings and could be used as a day pack with all of the straps tightened up.

With many of the good pack companies, you can buy both a small bag and a large bag and just switch them out on the same frame.

Here are a couple of photos of the Woodsman loaded.
73227a836c4974b64fa76ae270d414ef.jpg
1ca83572457daf3c78895c1e0e38a03a.jpg

Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900. Very lightweight for its size and very adjustable for a wide range of loads.

Pontius

FNG
Go big. A couple pounds extra while you’re carrying light loads in daypack mode won’t be noticed. The utility of stuffing an entire mule deer in the bag, or significant chunks of an elk is worth it. I have a Kifaru Duplex Timberline 1, a large pack, 7200ci - this fall I filled it with the fur of a moose cape, had the antlered head folded and strapped to the outside, the poor Kifaru looked like a fanny pack and weighed in excess of a hundred pounds. Get a big one.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
I’m new here and this is my first post. I have a background in hiking/camping and competitive shooting but not so much in large game hunting. I’ve killed my share of varmints and even Texas hogs. Originally from The Great State, I currently live in Calgary Alberta.

I’d like to move in this direction of backcountry hunting. I’m looking for 1 pack right now that has the versatility do it all. I’m looking at the MR pintler or Selway. But I’m open to feedback or suggestions.

I run an Osprey 65L for multi-day hiking.

Thanks

John

solid choice!! i'm still running the very old and discountinued Mystery Ranch DragonSlayer. great granddaddy to that Pintler. i'm assuming you're looking for a daypack-ish, possible 2-3 day pack? that Pintler will flat out get it done.

you are about to get blasted by opinions and choices. dont fall into that trap and get the pack you like.