Eberlestock Dragonfly impressions

Just returned home from a 1st rifle season elk hunt in CO, and I have to say I am very, very pleased with my Eberlestock Dragonfly pack. I had another pack system I was going to use, but saw these on clearance and pulled the trigger at the last minute. I'm sure glad I did.

I was very concerned from the get-go about the empty weight of the pack (9 lbs.) and wasn't sure I would even use the rifle scabbard, but both of those concerns were totally unfounded. In practice, the pack carries much lighter than it's weight, and the rifle scabbard was a stroke of genius. I used it so much I took the sling off my rifle. I could easily slide my rifle in and out of the scabbard without taking off the pack (I have very long arms), so I would just take the round out of the chamber, slide it in the scabbard while hiking, and then pull the rifle and put a round in if I was actively hunting. I always carry my rifle in my hands when there is any chance of seeing something, so the scabbard storage and no sling worked great. However the sling fit in the scabbard too, if a person kept one on their rifle.

My average pack weight was 24 lbs. loaded with all my clothing, kill kit, water, emergency shelter and other supplies for day hunts, plus my 6.5 lb. Tikka rifle for just over 30 lbs. when hiking. Again, it carried very comfortably. The final afternoon of my 5-day hunt, I covered 6.6 miles and 2800 vertical feet (1400 up and 1400 down) in 5 hours according to my GPS, and the pack was great on my back.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone is looking at this pack. I got mine on clearance from Black Ovis for under $200, which now seems like a real steal. I had planned to use it until I could afford a more expensive, lighter pack, but I'm so happy with how it performed that I'm done looking.

fatrascal

WKR
I used the eberlestock dragonfly for about 7 years. I loved it. Until I bought a Kifaru. The comfort is on a much higher level and the gun bearer is an easier to use system in my opinion. With that being said, in the 200 dollar price range, the Dragonfly is a great choice. Very rugged and will carry lots of weight. Fatrascal.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
fatrascal, can you elaborate on the gun bearer system? I can't imagine anything being much easier to use or more secure than the scabbard, but I'm always open to new ideas.

rbljack

WKR
I ran the eberestock dragonfly for a few years and really liked the layout. I just upgraded to a kifaru reckoning and duplex frame which I will say is more comfortable. But with that said...the dragonfly was a great pack for me at the price point it had. I was able to pick up a dragonfly AND a blue widow for less than my kifaru set up. I upgraded as time and funds allowed. You can use a universal gunbearer with the dragonfly btw. Kifaru makes it, and I used one on mine. When my wife and I hunt together I would carry her gun in the eberlestock gun pocket, and I would run my gun on the gunbearer. Made it a bit easier on her to hike in and get set up. You can do a search on youtube for the gunbearer, or on the kifaru store site. Whats nice about the gun bearer is that your gun is always at the ready. It can be released and shouldered fairly efficiently. I don't carry mine with a bullet in the chamber, but do run 4 in the mag. Its a decent system that keeps your gun in an accessible position while hiking around with the backpack on.

The gun bearer has a quick release strap that attaches to your shoulder strap of your pack, and the other part is a pocket of sorts that attaches to the waistbelt. Your gun stock drops into the strap pocket, and the quick release straps wraps around your upper stock and secures the gun at an upward angle below your arm. Not sure if im explaining that very well...but you can find the videos and see what Im talking about. works great.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Thanks. I found it. Does the rifle not get in the way under your arm as you hike? Seems a bit awkward to me but the price is right.

Just today I realized that same rifle scabbard will make a perfect pocket for a flyrod tube (or two). I can easily see this pack being used for a high country backpack flyfishing trip in my future.

rbljack

WKR
its not too bad really. It is there, but its not terribly awkward. Its worth it to me to have the rifle in a location where it can be accessible. I don't carry the sling with me at all if I am running the gun bearer. And what I discovered after watching and reading about the reckoning pack is this...I added a medium belt pouch to the center mounting point on the back of the pack. Using this pouch and the center straps, I can secure my rifle in there as well for hikes on the way in before season opener when access to the rifle isn't necessary.

fatrascal

WKR
Newtosavage, rbljack gave a good description to why the Kifaru gun bearer is a great system. I'd like to add that when carrying a rifle in the eberlestock scabbarb it is hard to sit down and you have to take the gun out. While I can sit down with the gun in the Kifaru gun bearer it is not easy and its easier if you take the gun out. But its so much easier and faster to do. I thought it would be awkward but it is not. Fatrascal.

FatBuddah

WKR
The fly is a great in concept, and a nice way to securly carry and protect rifle and or optics. I ran the fly for a few years and was happy until it was time to pack meat. Went Kifaru and couldnt be happier ( I do still run the Eberle scabbard though )